• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

LF vegetable and beef stew with savory broth

Thoughts

Forehead wrinkle king
I usually just do the grilling at the house but periodically I will cook a beef and vegetable stew. It’s not from a secret passed down recipe, it’s basically throwing whatever leftover sh!# we have in the house that the wife couldn’t use or is about to expire in a large tub and cooking it a while. It usually turns out ok but I am looking for a new recipe.

I will add that my wife and kids don’t dig spice too much. Also, I usually have around 1 hour of prep time (usually the night before). But I can extend that if needed.

I’m mainly looking for something along the lines of what I make but more savory and something you bake or buy bread with to mop up the juice. I am open to all recipes and will try them all as long as they aren’t spicy (I would LOVE spicy stew but they literally won’t even touch it). Do keep in mind we live in Mississippi and do not have a lot of access to health food stores (I asked my grocer if he carried truffle butter and he asked if it was for cupcakes or something...)

I usually just do the grilling at the house but periodically I will cook a beef and vegetable stew. It’s not from a secret passed down recipe, it’s basically throwing whatever leftover sh!# we have in the house that the wife couldn’t use or is about to expire in a large tub and cooking it a while. It usually turns out ok but I am looking for a new recipe.

I will add that my wife and kids don’t dig spice too much. Also, I usually have around 1 hour of prep time (usually the night before). But I can extend that if needed.

I’m mainly looking for something along the lines of what I make but more savory and something you bake or buy bread with to mop up the juice. I am open to all recipes and will try them all as long as they aren’t spicy (I would LOVE spicy stew but they literally won’t even touch it). Do keep in mind we live in Mississippi and do not have a lot of access to health food stores (I asked my grocer if he carried truffle butter and he asked if it was for cupcakes or something...)

Ummm, truffle butter? Are you sure that's what you needed? You can make that at home, just ask Nicki Minaj.

Make it with wine: https://www.brit.co/julia-childs-boeuf-bourguignon/

Or make it with beer: https://thehungrybelgian.com/2013/07/05/flemish-beef-stew/

The first with mashed taters, the second over fries, of course. I usually say any good Belgian dark beer (I used Westvleteren the last time I made it; Gouden Carolus is my favorite) but I've seen people make it with Duvel, Kwak or even a nice rich Porter and it comes out good.

Pork with a nice tart cherry lambic is great, too, for a non-beef option.

We use beef shank, short ribs or the long ones in a pressure cooker. The pressure cooker saves a lot of time and it doesn't heat up the house. Nothing like 90F weather outside and the oven running for 4 hours at 400F. Pressure cookers can be stovetop or electric (better). Any kind of beer is always good but the darker ones or even amber are better, you can use red cooking wines as well. Badia Complete Seasoning is what I use to flavor it. I realize this might not be available in all markets but to me it has the best balance. To thicken the stew you can cut up squash or potatoes in to much smaller pieces. For the kids you can add at the end a handful of Alphabet pasta or small shells pasta to keep it interesting. There are even pasta shells with all kinds of color. There are soup mixes (Maggi, Knorr) you can also add at the end with that have shells or fidelini. Brocolli at the end to keep it al-dente. John

Make it with wine: https://www.brit.co/julia-childs-boeuf-bourguignon/

Or make it with beer: https://thehungrybelgian.com/2013/07/05/flemish-beef-stew/

The first with mashed taters, the second over fries, of course. I usually say any good Belgian dark beer (I used Westvleteren the last time I made it; Gouden Carolus is my favorite) but I've seen people make it with Duvel, Kwak or even a nice rich Porter and it comes out good.

Pork with a nice tart cherry lambic is great, too, for a non-beef option.
Way out of touch with the beer game, but is Westy still only available at the monastery?

Way out of touch with the beer game, but is Westy still only available at the monastery?
It’s actually now available at a few select stores in Belgium now. I’m sure it’s cheaper at the Monastery, but it’s about €15 a bottle at the stores (Tourist Central Brussels).

Yes, officially. You're not supposed to resell it, but you can get it in Brussels and other large towns at bars or shops for around the price John says. It's €2 or €3 each by the case at the monastery.

Yes, officially. You're not supposed to resell it, but you can get it in Brussels and other large towns at bars or shops for around the price John says. It's €2 or €3 each by the case at the monastery.
One of my prize possessions is one of the crates from the monastery, even though I haven't drank in 6 or so years! 😂