• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Life's interesting stories

CigarStone

For once, knowledge is making me poor!
Over the years I have made incredible friends here and I have often been fascinated when I learn a bit about the person I respect on CP but have yet to meet face to face. Its fun sometimes to envision the person in the situation they share.

I thought a thread where we could share life experiences would be valuable, and maybe help each other see different sides of all of us.

Yesterday when I had my stress test they injected me with some nuclear medicine, they told me I couldn't fly or enter a federal building for two days.😀

It brought back memories of when I got "crapped up" working inside a nuclear reactor vessel when I was 23. I was an engineer for GE and I volunteered to do this project at the Plymouth Mass. Power Plant because of the money they offered. We were to pull the control rod drives and do some instrumentation work on them.

Before your one hour shift inside the vessel, three people would dress you in a suit very similar to what an astronaut would wear in space. Fully sealed and a breathing unit to carry with you. It was a nasty environment with radioactive water raining on you at all times.

Midway through my second shift I bent over and cold water ran down my back .... which made me jump and bang my head on the control rod drive I was working on. When I crawled out through the sealed port, every bell, whistle, siren, and light in the place went off.

Four women grabbed me and threw me into a cart and drove me to a shower where they proceeded to strip me naked and scrub my skin raw with scrub brushes. When I explained what happened, they scrubbed that area partitlcularly hard ..... including my butthole.🤨

I was scheduled to do two shifts per day for two weeks but I got sent home after one day and got the full payment of $2500.

At times I expected to experience issues as a result but never have. I completely forgot about it until they told me yesterday that I was radioactive.😀

I've gotten nuked for bone scans, before. I asked if it would have a positive effect on my sexual performance (or result in kids with superpowers). I was told they recommend not getting busy for at least a week... for her safety. I let it go at that and didn't ask the follow up questions I had in my mind to that comment.

I've gotten nuked for bone scans, before. I asked if it would have a positive effect on my sexual performance (or result in kids with superpowers). I was told they recommend not getting busy for at least a week... for her safety. I let it go at that and didn't ask the follow up questions I had in my mind to that comment.
I'm not sure why you would get nuked for a boner scan, but they obviously found one?

Well hell, might as well fess up after 55 years I don't think I will get in trouble. My career in the Navy was as a nuclear weapons technician. Went to school in Great Lakes for the electronics, was sent to Albuquerque Sandra Base for B school and training, then went on board USS Independence CVA 62. Our area was guarded 24/7 by Marines, you had to badge in/out and down you went into our "spaces" wher we may or may not have had "weapons".

We did not wear or have dosimitems, so who knows what was floating around, but I wonder if I picked up any of the good stuff. Personally I glad I didn't have to find out if our stuff was live, but we practiced loading planes with a dummy load so we knew what to do.

Have to share a cool story here. Out of 36 guys, I was the only one with a TS clearance. The night of the impending attack attack on Cuba ( Cuban Missile Crisis ) a officer comes into our sleeping quarters and asks for me. I follow him into a room with a teletype and phone to the bridge. He says sit here, call the bridge if you receive any message. In the meantime we are preparing our planes for takeoff. Make a long story short a message comes in from President Kennedy " do NOT launch. Cancel the attack " which I phone up to the bridge.

We came within 15 minutes of attacking, and THAT is the truth.

Hell of a memory.

Well hell, might as well fess up after 55 years I don't think I will get in trouble. My career in the Navy was as a nuclear weapons technician. Went to school in Great Lakes for the electronics, was sent to Albuquerque Sandra Base for B school and training, then went on board USS Independence CVA 62. Our area was guarded 24/7 by Marines, you had to badge in/out and down you went into our "spaces" wher we may or may not have had "weapons".

We did not wear or have dosimitems, so who knows what was floating around, but I wonder if I picked up any of the good stuff. Personally I glad I didn't have to find out if our stuff was live, but we practiced loading planes with a dummy load so we knew what to do.

Have to share a cool story here. Out of 36 guys, I was the only one with a TS clearance. The night of the impending attack attack on Cuba ( Cuban Missile Crisis ) a officer comes into our sleeping quarters and asks for me. I follow him into a room with a teletype and phone to the bridge. He says sit here, call the bridge if you receive any message. In the meantime we are preparing our planes for takeoff. Make a long story short a message comes in from President Kennedy " do NOT launch. Cancel the attack " which I phone up to the bridge.

Hell of a memory.
Wow. That’s a hell of a story and crazy responsibility to have

Hell of a memory.
YOU are responsible for preventing the Cuban Missile Crisis from escalating, Ed. Had you chosen that moment to have to take a leak, it would have been WWIII. However, your reception of the message, and transmission of the message, aborted the missions that were mere minutes away from taking off from your flight deck. Ever think about the gravity of your silent role in the Cuban Missile Crisis?

Hell of a memory.
Ed have you ever stopped to think about how that call up to the Bridge has affected the cigar industry and the cigars you smoke? Wow. Crazy shot, brother. Crazy shit.

Hell of a memory.
That is exactly the kind of thing that I think is fascinating to learn about a CP member!

Nice work Ed!

Hell of a memory.
That is an amazing story Ed, thank you so much for sharing. Like others have said, its so amazing to learn about others that we know as friends on here.

Over the years I have made incredible friends here and I have often been fascinated when I learn a bit about the person I respect on CP but have yet to meet face to face. Its fun sometimes to envision the person in the situation they share.

I thought a thread where we could share life experiences would be valuable, and maybe help each other see different sides of all of us.

Yesterday when I had my stress test they injected me with some nuclear medicine, they told me I couldn't fly or enter a federal building for two days.😀

It brought back memories of when I got "crapped up" working inside a nuclear reactor vessel when I was 23. I was an engineer for GE and I volunteered to do this project at the Plymouth Mass. Power Plant because of the money they offered. We were to pull the control rod drives and do some instrumentation work on them.

Before your one hour shift inside the vessel, three people would dress you in a suit very similar to what an astronaut would wear in space. Fully sealed and a breathing unit to carry with you. It was a nasty environment with radioactive water raining on you at all times.

Midway through my second shift I bent over and cold water ran down my back .... which made me jump and bang my head on the control rod drive I was working on. When I crawled out through the sealed port, every bell, whistle, siren, and light in the place went off.

Four women grabbed me and threw me into a cart and drove me to a shower where they proceeded to strip me naked and scrub my skin raw with scrub brushes. When I explained what happened, they scrubbed that area partitlcularly hard ..... including my butthole.🤨

I was scheduled to do two shifts per day for two weeks but I got sent home after one day and got the full payment of $2500.

At times I expected to experience issues as a result but never have. I completely forgot about it until they told me yesterday that I was radioactive.😀
So about the cold water, was this just sweat or had your suit been breached???

I once saved a lot of money by switching my car insurance to Geico.
So that's how you afford to buy all those vintage cubans. I thought it was your make gigolo job, but I can't imagine you get paid much for that.

So that's how you afford to buy all those vintage cubans. I thought it was your make gigolo job, but I can't imagine you get paid much for that.
My side hustle is I’m a fluffer..

I will have to see if I can dig out some old photos, but if you have not spotted a trend you may notice I love the rivers of Michigan.

Some long time ago me and the best man from my wedding, Randy decided to go on a winter camping canoe trip. It is a rare wonder to canoe a frozen river. It's just incredibly peaceful and the ice formations are a site to behold.

We launched onto the river at 26 degrees f. The water was pure and clear, fish move so slow you want to reach in and grab them. As we paddled into state land to find a camping spot we just watched all of wildlife around us with awe.

The name of the game with winter camping is conserving heat and energy. So all the critters are fat with fall food and moving slow. We found a flat bit of ice right off the bank to pitch our tent and make camp.
The first night was crazy, I was as cold as I have ever been. Every breath was so cold it was like trying to breath ice water. When it's that cold you don't really sleep you just shut down but not really sleep, I believe it is called a state of twilight.
By morning we were exhausted with trying to sleep and all I wanted was hot coffee. I rolled over and what I seen was a million bright clear pearls hanging on the inside of the tent. As we slept our warm breath condensed on the tent and was now a wall of water.

We made the choice to use a camp knife and delicately slice the tent into a convertible to avoid getting wet. Then it's off to tend the fire and warm the body. We hardly spoke the whole weekend. Just cooked and stared at the world around us. Stary nights were just mesmerizing, lay back in the snow and just stare.

Have you ever seen when ice forms on naked trees and turns them into 50ft tall chandeliers? A whole forest of them with the morning sun will change a life.

We ended up leaving the next night but it was a weekend I'll remember for a lifetime.