• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Litto Gomez Small Batch No. 1

Brickhouse

J.C. Newman owes me royalties.
Acquired a 5'er of these through a stellar trade with tolije a few weeks ago and I simply had to give one a go, knowing that it was a bit early. It's been a while since I've had the opportunity to review a cigar, but I've been waiting for this one.

Below are my thoughts and opinions on the cigar.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

VITAL STATS: (Information courtesy of www.vitolas.net)

Cigar name: Litto Gomez Small Batch No. 1
Vitola: 7" x 52
Wrapper: Sumatran seed, Dominican LFD farm grown
Binder: Dominican LFD farm grown tobacco
Filler: LG Diez blend (Dominican LFD farm grown tobacco)
Released: August 2006
Quantity: 200 boxes world-wide, 105 cigars per box
MSRP: $16.00 per cigar, $1,510.00 per box of 105 cigars
Storage: 3 weeks @ 65 degrees 62% humidity

TOOLS USED:

Cutter: Palio
Lighter: S.T. Dupont X-Tend
Ashtray: Colibri
Pairing: 16oz water

PRELIGHT:

- Easily the most gorgeous cigar I've laid eyes on. The oils were so prominent that I couldn't get a photo with flash on. The wrapper had a delicious dark look. Perfectly constructed, zero blemishes.
- Wrapper had an immediate spice on it, very similar to the Diez, no surprises here.
- Great aroma, tobacco undertones with hints of tobacco (preembargo).
- Cut went flawless and the draw was easy

1st Quarter:

- The taste is all there, very excited from the first draw. Billowy clouds of smoke pour out giving it an almost "chewy" characteristic, just the way I like it.
- Spice isn't nearly as strong as I thought it would be from the prelight, but it's just enough for me.
- Complicated for me to pick out much, I'm no taste expert, and it's apparent from the get go that I'm not going to be able to pick out the small details

2nd Quarter:

- Having some draw issues. It's not that it's hard to draw, it's still rather easy, but I'm not getting the clouds of smoke I was in the beginning. It has the feel that this cigar is tunneling on me, which makes me nervous.
- I find myself puffing short iterations of 8-10 times in order to get that large mouthful of smoke I liked in the 1st quarter....something isn't right here
- Taste is still there, however, due to the large amount of puffs...the draw is hot and a bit uncomfortable on my palate, not overly so, but not what I'd hoped for.

3rd Quarter:

- I've found the draw problem (see photo). The cigar is in fact tunneling on me just a bit. It's not causing any major issues, and I don't have to relight, but it's hurting my ability to get a full draw each pull.
- Wrapper burn is fine, never goes badly, however the tunnel is an issue which I'm working.

Last Quarter:

- Tunnel has improved with some touchups and a few ashs. I'm still puffing a bit to get a full pull, but it's not as bad, it is now easier to enjoy.
- Taste is still there, the only thing I could really pick out was some cocoa hints, the rest is just....well......good shit.
- Since the tunnel has subsided a bit, the taste picks up as the smoke is not has hot anymore.
- I finish this cigar with about 1" left

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall Impressions:

Overall I really enjoyed the taste of this cigar. The construction was hands down the best I've seen in any cigar I've smoked, I was very impressed. I have a feeling a few of the shortcomings were my own fault (should have let it sit longer, could have dry boxed it a few hours). I can't wait to try another one in about 4 months. I would recommend a dry box of about 4-6 hours if you can allow it, this cigar just seemed to retain a good amount of moisture.

Even though I smoked this one early it still performed well enough to recommend it. I have no doubts the next one I smoke will do even better. So is it worth the price tag? Well, I think it will be....but this one fell a bit short of the $16.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rating: (Brickhouse style) (1-10 scale)

Appearance: 10
Construction: 10
Taste: 7
Burnability: 6
Aroma: 7
Complexity: 9

Overall: 8.16

Sorry about the quality of photo's, my camera sucks.

picreviewur0.jpg

Thanks for the great review! I bought a 5'er of these last November at a TAA event near Philly, and had been letting them sit since then. I tried one on the first weekend of March Madness and -surprise!- I had the same tunneling issue that you described. I had a hard time lighting it and keeping it lit from the get-go (even after 4+ months at 65% RH), and unfortunately mine was rendered unsmokable. Thankfully I was at the B&M where I bought them, and he quickly swapped it out for a new one, but I didn't attempt to light it fresh. Good thing I brought a PAN along as backup :D

I think due to the make-up of this cigar, it might benefit not only from dry boxing for a few hours as you suggest, but even a lower overall RH (60%?) for storage prior to smoking. There's a good deal of strong, spicy, thick, oily tobacco in these sticks, so any extra moisture is going to be a potential problem. Your review has prompted me to start getting a second one ready for smoking sometime in May, so I'll probably get started on that tonight. Thanks again! :thumbs:

Thats what I call a great review! :thumbs:
Nice one Wyatt :)

Hope my small LG will be as good as yours :)

Great review. I'm looking forward to mine coming in the mail sometime this week.

Nice review. When taking pictures of reflective objects such as oily cigars, try to have not dimension or surface parallel to the film plane. So in your pictures, tip the head closer to the camera than the foot. This will drastically cut down on the reflections.

BTW, why do your photos look hazy?

Wilkey

Excellent review Wyatt! :thumbs:

Brian

Nice review. When taking pictures of reflective objects such as oily cigars, try to have not dimension or surface parallel to the film plane. So in your pictures, tip the head closer to the camera than the foot. This will drastically cut down on the reflections.

Wilkey

Thats all the pot smoke in the background :(

Wilkey

Couldn't tell ya, I usually use my wife camera for these pics but she had it today.

This is my camera that I've had for like 4 years now and it's been to Iraq and back, abused to say the least. The settings on it are all probably jacked. I couldn't get the dang thing to focus on the cigar....it always tried to focus on something in the background.

In short, numerous issues, lol.

Nice review Wyatt. I've been meaning to try these myself, now I think I might give it a go. :thumbs:

Great review.

Too bad about the tunneling problems. I hope they are not all that way.

Nice review Wyatt I have 2 resting, maybe this weekend I'll put it to flames! :thumbs:

Hell Yah... got one of these sitting...paid $20 for it though...damn-it those Cali taxes!!!

Great review... How long did you let it sit???

-Fetter

... How long did you let it sit???

-Fetter

Fetter,

I only let this thing sit 3 weeks. I knew going in to it, that I was going to have issues because of this, as said in the review. But I simply just had to smoke one, I couldn't look at them anymore, they are just too beautiful. I figured I've got more, so lets give it a shot. I have no doubt that the issues I had with this cigar would have been fixed if I had let it rest appropriately.

Excellent review Wyatt. Thanks

I'm suprised Wyatt isn't dryboxing one of these as we speak! :whistling:

:laugh:

-Rob

Excellent review, I really enjoyed the read. I have tried one of these that was gifted to me and loved it.

Ken

-Rob

Funny you mention that, last time I spoke with you, you said you've never had one.

Yet, you have one dry boxing at this very moment :whistling:

How can this be? :)

-Rob

Funny you mention that, last time I spoke with you, you said you've never had one.

Yet, you have one dry boxing at this very moment :whistling:

How can this be? :)

Thanks bro!
But never start a war you can't finish!
I might spark this badboy up as soon as it arrives!

I don't care what everyone else says about you!
You're all right in my book! :p

-Rob