• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Looking at getting into Photography - Recommendations?

I still haven't purchased a camera, however now I'm ready to...

It's between the Canon T3i and the Nikon D5100.

I'm most interested in taking high quality pictures. Seems the D5100 might be a better choice. Opinion's?

Tech Crunch did a comparison and they have some good info
http://techcrunch.com/2011/07/29/head-to-head-review-canon-t3i-vs-nikon-d5100/

What kind of pictures? Landscapes, nature, portraits or general photography?

Yes. :)

Something that will do a little bit of everything.

Keep in mind, that any gooch shot will require a good macro setting.

not that I know what I am doing, but 2 of my friends who do pictures for the newspapers and such swear by Nikon because "their lenses are better" *not my quote again I have no idea about such but I asked them*

Considering I just ordered a Nikkor fisheye lens, I'm happy to hear that. But I've heard that Canon's and Nikon's are so comparable that it really comes up to personal preference. At least that's what I was told by my photographer buddy when I was deciding between the two companies.

My wife takes alot of pictures and she has 3 diffrent brands. Sony Nikon and ? But she says that the Nikon is by far her fav. Don't know the models just know it is her favorite!

Paul

That settles it, I'm going with the D5100. All of the reviews online pin the Nikon and Canon head to head, however from what I read the canon is slightly better at shooting video while the Nikon has a slight edge on picture quality. I'm most concerned about picture quality over video.

My buddy who shoots for the LA Times and Lakers also recommends Nikon.

Thanks for the feedback.

Rod, as you shopped...what is the perception of the newer mirrorless design cameras? Are they up there feature-wise with the current crop of DSLRs or are they just a convenience of being slimmer at the sacrifice of features and picture quality?

I'm personally in between where you are headed...I obviously want better than a point & shoot, but not the size of the Nikon D Series type....that's where I thought the mirrorless cameras would come in. I've only been looking & reading for a few months and haven't really dug into that world yet.

Thanks.

http://www.dpreview.com/ is also a great resource for the amateur photographer.

Beat me to it. DP Review is a fantastic site, with lots of links and is very helpful.

I have two nice Nikon film cameras and several lenses that sit in a bag in the closet. I bought a mid-line Nikon digital camera a few years back (Nikon Coolpix 5400 - not a DSLR) and honestly, every time I think about replacing it, I look at the AMAZING photos it takes, and decide to buy more cigars.... :p

I've been a Nikon fan for many years....still my "go to" for photography.

Gary,

I used to be into photography rather heavy about 15 years ago. I used all Canon equipment, and developed my own film in a dark room. With the many changes (lack of film, equipment, etc) and advent of digital, I kind of lost interest. Now that the manufacturers have had a good few years to develop upon digital technology, I've decided to get back into it. The Nikon D5100 is not mirror-less, rather a pretty solid DSLR camera. Not sure I would want to jump into the new mirror-less technology quite yet. I'd rather give it a few more years... I prefer the more traditional technology.

My next camera will be along the lines of a Nikon D7000. I figure I might as well get back into it with something decent, yet not too low end. The D5100 seems to fit exactly what I'm looking for. Like anything else, it's the photographer who makes the photo. A good photographer can use a cheap camera and come out with award winning prints. :D

From the many reviews I've read, Canon is still a top performer. Nikon has a very slight edge, at least when comparing the T3i to the D5100. I'm more concerned about photo quality rather than video quality. Canon also seems to be a bit higher on the contrast side, where Nikon shoots prints just a tad darker. Apparently the color quality is more true to life on the D5100. Who knows, it's like comparing Padron to Padron, very similar. :) I'd rather my photo's come out darker than lighter. They say the D5100 is not so good for shooting with low light, however I can combat that by switching to full manual mode and adjusting the ISO and SS accordingly.

My focus will be landscape/outdoor scenes, along with night sky photography. I will need to get some add-on's so that I can take 30+ second exposures.

I was able to get the D5100 for $746 (regular $899), and a 55mm-300mm lens for $246 (regular $396), and a few other add-on's really cheap from B&H in NY. They by far have the best prices; I've bought from them before. Free shipping and no tax. They're the only one offering the additional Nikkor lens that cheap. I can sell it and easily make $100, and put the profit towards an even higher quality telephoto. That special ends in a day or so.

I've been researching DSLR's for the past six months, so if you need the cliff notes on anything just let me know.

You really can't go wrong with either Canon or Nikon, just depends what your goals are. They both have slight advantages over one another, however are both leaders. They're the only two brands I would consider when it comes to photography equipment.

My equipment arrives next week! :)

By the way, if you don't want a D series, go with the Coolpix. Supposed to be one heck of a camera.

I have a 35mm Vivitar with all the bells and whistles. After a while, carrying it around was like a ball and chain. I just got tired of it. :whistling:

I have a D7000 that I've had for about a year now, or so. Traded up from the D5000. The D5000 was a great camera, but it is night and day with the D7000. I don't know much about the D5100, but, if it is the successor to the D5000, I'm sure it's an awesome camera. I have nothing bad to say about the D5000, I just got to play with a D90, and then the D7000, one day and the damage was done.

Thanks Rod...great info. I agree with your choice of the Nikon over the Canon, their optics and versatility do have that slight edge over the competition. I've seen both models and played with them at the B&H at 9th & 34th street in NYC...you could go wild (and broke!) there, they literally have EVERYTHING!

After playing with a bunch of DSLRs, I was attracted to the mirrorless designs as they enjoy the same versatility with multiple lens and manual controls...while being a little more portable. The issue is, you have to rely so heavily on the sensors and software that I have been hesitant to pull the trigger. I really want the new Sony NEX-5N but the initial release had some issues with a clicking noise while using the camera in video mode...which I would use on occasion. While the 5N doesn't have a viewfinder ($350 add on) I am also considering the NEX-7 that does come with it and has better ISO and manual performance. Also, availability is scarce on both models as the Sony factory (and Nikon's too) in Thailand was flooded last Fall.

I guess I will wait out the new design a little while longer until the product starts flowing again and more feedback is reported.

Thanks for the advice, I may take you up on the offer of your Cliff's Notes.

Rod did you end up pulling the trigger on one of these?? My wife approached me 2 nights ago and said she has spent enough money on film and development with out nice camera and wants a new digital one of this size. So I have given her both of the options you had above. I am just curious if you went in head first and if so what your thoughts are so far.

Yes sir! It actually arrived the other night.

I now have:
- Nikon D5100 DSLR
- Nikkor 70mm-300mm telephoto lens
- Lowepro camera travel case
- Some lens filters (clear and polarized)
- Cleaning kit

I'm going to spend time learning how to use it this weekend. Last night I picked up a 32 GB SDHC Sandisk flash memory card. It's a very nice camera. Once I get good with it, I'll probably pick up some more lens's and accessories.