• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Looking at getting into Photography - Recommendations?

Rod

Administrator
Staff member
Many years ago I took photography in school, and was relatively good at shooting with an SLR. Times have definitely changed! I'd like to get back into it again, and am looking for a really good DSLR. Budget is around $1,000. I've been looking at the Nikon D7000. I'm not really partial to any brand.

I want something that I can shoot landscape, people, and also night shots where I can leave the shutter open for minutes at a time.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Rod

I recently got a Nikon D3100 that I've been very pleased with. I asked my buddy who's a pro for his advice. I wanted to go either Nikon or Canon since I had the best experience with both and I know both companies are highly regarded. Was between the D3100 and the Canon Rebel T2i to which my buddy said the difference between the two was negligible and was just about personal preference.

If you check on Amazon (where I got mine) there are some good package deals. I spent about a grand on mine which got me the camera, two lenses, case, memory card, UV filters, lens care kit, and tripod. As I said, I've been pleased with it, though I still want an ultra wide angle lens, something around 12mm.

I want something that I can shoot landscape, people, and also night shots where I can leave the shutter open for minutes at a time.

Any thoughts?

Forget all that artsy nonsense. Focus on nudes. Please post all results.

Any thoughts?

Forget all that artsy nonsense. Focus on nudes. Please post all results.

Nude night shots mebbe?

I've been very pleased with my Rebel T2i. Learning the controls was much easier than I imagined, and with a I tripod I've gotten some great night shots. I didn't get as good a deal, I bought mine when they first came out so I think I paid $1100 for the regular package at a local store where I could get it locally warrantied. Added a 70-300mm about 8mo's ago, but haven't gotten to use it much.

We have similar histories. I was a very avid photographer. I even had a couple of shows at the college I attended after my retirement. I gave it up, though. It was too frustrating. I was talking to a professional a couple of weeks ago and, as far as equipment goes, nothing much has changed. Nikon or Cannon are the manufactures of choice.

PM Moki...he just got something.

Or...contact Seadub...he's had some history with a lens or two!

The Nikons won't disappoint. Also, Gimp is a very good free photo editor. It's amazing how much stuff you can do with a photo. Plenty of good tutorials on youtube as well. Have fun with it!

I personally like Canon the best. Only Digital camera I would own at this point. I bought a Nikon on a killer sale, and returned it. I hated the photos it took.
I will say that I am very picky. I also still keep a film SLR. In many instances, I still like film. To me I can only equate it to sort of like the differance between CD and Vinyl on a top shelf Stereo. Just more life in it, to my sensibilities.

Recently moved up from a Nikon D5000 to the D7000. The D5000 was my first DSLR, and I was not (and STILL not) disappointed. I shot with a buddy's D90 some time ago, however, and the picture quality is night and day difference. I chose the D7000 over the D90, simply because I knew someone with it here local, as well, got to play around with it a bit, and then (mostly) was swept up by all the reviews. I'm sure my skills have improved a bit over time, but I don't think my "style" has changed much, even with the upgrade in hardware. I have had people ask what I was doing differently between certain sets of photos, and the only real difference is the change from the D5000 to the D7000. Of course, as you know, it's more about the photographer than the camera (and all that stuff), but quality equipment is not overrated.

That being said, I still find it funny that the one photo I have taken that still gets the most positive comments from other "photographer" friends was snapped with a Coolpix point-and-shoot in Bern, Switzerland as I was being rushed past an alleyway with a nice, aesthetic arch. No setup, whatsoever. I still won't give up my Nikons, though!

Rod hit me up if you wanna talk or maybe i can make it out to the next double tree herf. I have been shooting on and off for the last 20 years

Not sure if you know about the difference in sensor size for DSLRs. So if you don't and plan to shoot professionally at all, it would be wise to invest in a camera with a full frame sensor. Nikon's FX line is their full frame sensor cameras (same size as 35mm film) and their DX lines are their APS-C sized sensor cameras(or equivalent to 2/3 size of 35mm film). Not sure on Cannon's, Pentax, or the likes.

I really like http://www.kenrockwell.com/index.htm for reviews on gear. I've followed his suggestions on a few items and have been really pleased. His review of the 35mm f/1.8 DX (I have a D40) really helped me make the decision and it is a wonderful lens.

B&H Photo is your friend, they have everything you could want at good prices. And good customer service too.

Though the best piece of advise anyone can give you when trying to pick between Nikon or Cannon, is to go to a store and actually hold the each one in your hands. See which one fits "you" better because at the end of the day, both make fantastic bodies and lenses.

Thanks BArias - I need to make it out to a DB herf soon. Maybe we should have a herf in the IE? :D

I'm stuck between the Canon T3i and the Nikon 7000. I've purchased from B&H before, and they certainly have great prices.

Will see if I can find a local store that carries both cameras...

Rod, I would suggest a T2i over the T3i. If you can find a deal on the T2i, pocket the money or apply it towards a lens. The features of the T3i are negligible over the T2i.

I bought one after doing tons of research and it has been a great camera. I also wanted to use it to do video, but haven't tried that out much (warning there's audio issues using a T2i for video). The 7d is a great camera, but before I spend that amount, it would have to be a full-frame camera. I'll be waiting for the 5dmk3 to be my next camera.

I decided to invest in all full-frame compatible lenses too, because I think crop sensors are going to be dying off in the next few years (but then again, I thought that a few years ago too!). Either way, I thought it would be wise to make the investment now. It can be a bit aggravating though when trying to shoot wide angle and the crop sensor is working against you.

The best place to prolly go look in the area would be Samy's Camera I believe there is one in Pasadena. I am up for an IE herf lets get it setup!

Good points money!
I am actually going to purchasing it from Samy's - there is one here in Pasadena. Going to pick up the t3i most likely (as I want to be able to use it for shooting video too). Samy's is offering a no tax special. Seems to be a good deal too!
Thanks for all of the feedback.

Rod,

Another thing to consider is the lens! most "kit" lenses are garbage! IMHO I would pick the camera body that you want (i'm a Nikon fan) then buy a better lens separately.

http://www.dpreview.com/ is also a great resource for the amateur photographer.

Rod,

Another thing to consider is the lens! most "kit" lenses are garbage! IMHO I would pick the camera body that you want (i'm a Nikon fan) then buy a better lens separately.

http://www.dpreview.com/ is also a great resource for the amateur photographer.

Thanks for that link. I will have to upgrade my camera before I take a trip to Australia in late 2012 to 2013 with my sister. I will definitely want a good camera. i have a Fuji one I am happy with except its really made for a tripod sessions of photos. Thus the upgrade.

Hey Rod,

Photography is my other hobby that keeps my broke. :) I've shot both Canon and Nikon, but ended up going with Canon after using both for some time. I worked at a camera shop, so I scored many a good deal on equipment (feels like I got paid in gear all the time though!). I didn't know if it was a consideration for you, but have you possibly looked into a good used pro-sumer model? I shot with a Canon 5D for a few years, then being dumb, sold it before I deployed overseas with plans to pick up the 5D Mark II when I got back. Came home to a job market that went to hell, so I ended up getting a used 20D for cheap. I also have a 30D, but a lot of it depends on what you want to do with it. The 5D was the best camera I had for night/low-light shooting. You could crank the ISO up to 3200+, and still get a very usable image out of it. The noise reduction was wonderful on it. I think you can pick up used 5D's for right around $1000, but don't forget the expenditure on lenses, etc.

A great, if not one of the best, forums for photography is www.fredmiranda.com I've done tons of business through the classifieds there and have had great success. I actually just sold my MP-E 65mm Macro recently and picked up a used 100mm 2.8 non-L off the forums and it was in pristine condition. If you want to chat more on photography, just hit me up. It's one of those subjects I can go on forever about...kinda like good cigars and pipes! :)