• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Looking for hunting recommendations

ConDaddy

Okay so I know allot of you folks are avid hunters. So I figured what better place could I go to get some advice. While I do enjoy shooting I've never done much in the way of hunting and I'm looking to start getting into the sport. This year I'm going to put in for Mule deer and potentially Coues here in Arizona so I'm looking to put together my first rifle specifically for hunting. However I'm also going to start submitting for Elk in next years draw so really I'm trying to figure out a good cartridge to go with that would cover all of my bases. Knowing me I'll eventually just buy 5 rifles but at the moment I'm trying to be conservative and see if there is a single cartridge I should be considering over the others.

Here is my thinking so far:

6.5 Creedmoor - Ammunition is easy to come by, should be no problem at all for both deer species however I have heard that it may be a little underpowered for larger game like Elk. For Western hunts its range and ballistics make it an excellent round for deer species and damn if every rifle manufacturer out there doesn't have something already chambered in it.

30-06 - Ammunition extremely easy to come by, has been used to hunt every animal in North America, lots of rifle options, but should I be worried that this has just a bit too much oomph for smaller deal species like White Tail or potentially Coues if I decide to venture out a little? Not as flat shooting as 6.5 but definitely not a slouch either.

6.5 PRC - I've read some great things about this cartridge just giving the 6.5mm a little more oomph compared to the creedmoor. However I'm a little concerned with ammo availability on this one.

7mm Rem Mag - Somewhat easy to find ammo, not as easy as 30-06 or 6.5mm at least around here. However more than enough power for everything I might ever want to hunt. Again might be overkill for me. I'm not sure how this compares to the 30-06 for recoil, though I'm not too overly concerned with recoil as I've never had any issues with shooting other high recoil calibers in rifle.

One problem with Arizona is opportunities for rifle tags aren't as prevalent as Archery tags. But at the moment really not interested in taking on learning to bow hunt. That discussion may be for another day.

Appreciate any advice, even if its telling me my thoughts above are garbage or if I'm on the right track with what I'm thinking. My father hunted many years ago and has said he's going to gift me 3 rifles that he currently has since he's just not mobile enough anymore to do it himself. He has an old Marlin 30-30, a 6mm lever action not sure on make/model, and a .222. His 30-30 was used specifically for California wild boar hunting, and his 6mm was his deer rifle which he did almost all of his hunting for California white tail. The 6mm might be perfect for me and make me decide to go with a larger bore rifle.

I'm not sure about now, but in the past Arizona had a .30 cal diameter minimum for deer. Hacked my dad off, he had a .270 he couldn't use, but a .30 carbine, while a far inferior round, was fine.

I will add, that I'm not interested in reloading, so its only going to be factory loads. Not sure if that matters much.

I'm not sure about now, but in the past Arizona had a .30 cal diameter minimum for deer. Hacked my dad off, he had a .270 he couldn't use, but a .30 carbine, while a far inferior round, was fine.
Actually I did check on that and AZ basically allows any centerfire cartridge for taking of deer now. They have no minimum requirements.

FWIW, you can get a few AR platforms in 6.5 Creedmoor now. You know, in case you have any spare ammo left over from your bolt gun hunt ;-)

FWIW, you can get a few AR platforms in 6.5 Creedmoor now. You know, in case you have any spare ammo left over from your bolt gun hunt ;-)
Haha last thing I need is another AR. I'm actually thinking about selling one of mine to offset the cost of a new rifle/optic.

Old Model 70 Winchester’s in .308 or 30-06 are my go to rifles and cartridges.

If I had to choose one cartridge for hunting, I would choose 30-06. Good knock down power, good ballistics, good for antelope through dangerous game.

With smaller game like whitetail or antelope, you need to be careful with shot placement to avoid damaging meat.

270 would be my second choice.

If you stay short of dangerous game, I would choose 243. The bullet speed creates incredible carnage!

I haven't looked into the 243 or 270 to be honest. I'll have to do a little research on those. I think I'm leaning heavily towards the 30-06 plus the rifle I've been leaning towards is chambered in that and just so happens that my local shop has one in stock haha.

You should see what a .444 Marlin does! Don’t worry about that brush pile in front of the deer. Just point and shoot! 😂
Haha I originally wanted a 45-70 for that same reason. Problem in Arizona is most shots are going to be taken 200+ yards.

Okay I still want the 45-70 but with current markup on lever action rifles and ammo it’s on hold. If you can find it the rounds are going for 5-7.00 each.

I will add, that I'm not interested in reloading, so its only going to be factory loads. Not sure if that matters much.

Curious, how prevalent is the game in AZ? I've only (successfully) hunt the Northwoods in WI and several territories in Canada. I know zip about the game in the southwest. When I think AZ I just conjure up vast open desert.

Will you be in a stand?

Curious, how prevalent is the game in AZ? I've only (successfully) hunt the Northwoods in WI and several territories in Canada. I know zip about the game in the southwest. When I think AZ I just conjure up vast open desert.

Will you be in a stand?
Arizona is actually known for having some of the best trophy elk and mule deer hunting in the country but it can be difficult to draw tags. In some of the more popular Elk units it can take several years to increase your points before you ever get drawn and that’s for residents. Coues deer is another one that is hugely popular here and hunters from all over the world flock here in Dec to hunt them.

No stands, it’s all stalking and glassing and lots of hiking. I’ve been told that I’m going to need to get at least a 65x spotting scope but 85x is preferred and some 12x+ binoculars because when your not walking your spotting haha.

7mm REM Mag is all you’ll ever need. I’ve used 139 gr Barnes bullets for elk as well as white tail. Flat shooting and retains enough energy to get out there. I’ve got a Browning Abolt Medallion and wouldn’t trade it.

308 is too heavy IMO and range is a prob. I like the 270 but bigger elk may pose a prob. I’m not sold on 6.5 Creed(ammo can be a bugger to find sometimes). 06 would be my second choice, close to the 270.

Bullet placement is ALWAYS the key. They all punch holes in sold flesh. The Barnes will go through an elks shoulder joint and still cause fatal damage!

Floyd T

There are easily a dosen rounds that will work well for deer. Very few people can shoot well enough at long ranges to justify some of the newer offerings like the Creedmore or PRC. A .308 /30-06 will work very well for most. Remember, the further away it is the further you have to pack it out. 2 people can barely man pack an elk and certainly not that far in rough terrain. What ever you pock practice with it as much as possible.

Well I ended up going with a 30-06. I figure if a hunt comes up that I’m underpowered for I can deal with it then.

I’m also not someone that would ever feel comfortable shooting something outside of 300 yards. With a smaller coues dear I’d probably want to stay within 200. Lots of practice to come and just registered for a couple of units for mule deer. Let’s see if I get drawn and if not then we were start planning for next year.

Reactions: AVB