• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

LP9, FFP, Dirty Rat

Very interesting, I ordered from them, I just looked and they didn't add any tax to the invoice at all. It shows the prices of the boxes and a sub total at the bottom, let's see how this plays out, I have the financial institution on speed dial, waiting for a phone call.

This worries me. I felt good about linking to that sale because I've purchased from them with great success, a couple of times in the past. I hate the idea that botl here may have to deal with financial issues due to my link.

Sorry fellas. I thought they were legit. I guess we'll see.

They hit me with a tobacco tax $112.00 plus my state tax another 8%
Here is what is posted on their site:

NOTE: Superior Cigars does not sell cigarettes of any kind. Superior Cigars does not sell cigars to anyone under the age of 21. If you are under 21 years old, please do not enter our site.
Customers are responsible for all state and local taxes which may be apply.
Superior Cigars is not responsible for typographical errors of any kind or discrepancies between photographs and actual product.

Was applied!

What state taxes 112.00 on 150.00?

That's a serious tobacco tax.

Apparently Hauppauge, NY 11788 charges $112 for $150 purchase, which makes taxes at a remarkable 74.6%, plus 8% for local, which makes it $124 of tax on a $150. What a fantastic deal, everyone should jump on this :angry:

Yeah...I'm pulling the link. That's crappy that they're treating people like that.

Actually, I don't think it's anything underhanded. From what I understand that's about right for NY state tax. There's a reason Isy is in Florida now. ;)

Edit to add LINK The link says the tax is 75% of wholesale. So you were charged wholesale for that box? If you lived in virtually every other state, that would be a heckuva deal. I don't think the shop is doing anything shady.

Yeah...I'm pulling the link. That's crappy that they're treating people like that.

Actually, I don't think it's anything underhanded. From what I understand that's about right for NY state tax. There's a reason Isy is in Florida now. ;)
It would have been not underhanded , if you were told how much it was going to be. You have no idea until you hit the submit after your card # is entered.
I agree about Isy, that was a great call leaving NY State.

I agree with you, I don't like surprises...especially financial ones. Also, my math wasn't right. The shop added the tax onto MSRP, not wholesale. Which at first seemed pretty shitty to me (sorry Gooch), but then I thought about it and it would be like announcing your margins if you added it to the wholesale price. I'm torn on this one.

I have heard of a dealer doing something like this. One of my favorite shops in Tucson was interesting in that they would charge you for the cigars, then the sales tax on the actual sale, and then add in about $0.22 or something like that per stick for federal taxes (I think it went up). That way you didn't have to pay the sales tax on top of their price and the cigar tax.

In their case it would save the buyer a few cents per cigar. Makes a difference on a box. Sounds like they could be doing that in this case, but unfortunately the tax rate is so high that it makes the price essentially nothing like what you were intending to pay.

Order Date: 05-10-2012 06:28 PM
Card Number (last 4 digits): 5141

Quantity
Code
Description
Price
Extension
1​
93-6930
Liga Privada Unico Serie, Feral Flying Pig, 5 3/8 x 60, 10 per box
150.00​
150.00​

--------​

Sub-Total
150.00​

--------​

NYS Tobacco Tax
112.50​

NYS Sales Tax
12.75​

--------​

275.25​

Welcome to NY. It kinda sucks that the site makes no mention anywhere that they're actually located in NY, though. Most places have a "contact us" link or something with an actual physical address.

That being said, I went to the link, "ordered" a box, filled out my shipping and billing address, then clicked continue. The next page, before I entered any credit card info at all, this is what I see"

15xua9u.jpg

In my opinion, they're not doing anything shady. The charges were all laid out for me before I entered any financial info. All they needed was an address.

If you mailed them out of state would that tax stay on?

I replaced the link, since it's legit. Thanks for doing the research all.

I'm not sure. I plugged in my address in AZ and it didn't charge me that NYS cigar tax.

By the way, Can someone tell me if these are a different blend from the regular LP9's?