• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Mac + Youtube = Frustration

Jamie76

I recently bought a Macbook Pro as my Dell XPS literally fell apart and I wasn't having any of that Windows 8 joke.  Anyway, I love my Mac, however, for the price I paid, one would assume the thing should function flawlessly on Youtube.  I guess I was wrong.  It has something to do with the "incompatibilities" with Mac and Flash.  Sorry, but in this day and age, this shouldn't be an issue.  I'm using Youtube's trial HTML5 but it doesn't help much.

Any other options?

What problem are you having? I use YouTube all the time on my MacBook and iMac without any issues.

No problems here with the majority of the internet.  The only problems I really have are with my school's online program, WebTycho.  Tycho is the bane of my academic existence.  Lots of Java issues.  This computer seems to need a Java update for it every time I try to log in and post something.  No YouTube problems with viewing or loading videos.

I have zero problems with YouTube on my MacBook, iPhone or iPad.

Same here, iMac, no probs with YouTube.  Make sure your Java and Flash are up to date; you can get free downloads for both all over.

~Boar

Interesting...A number of videos I've watched have major buffering issues.  Mac knows it is an issue as I've seen it posted a number of times on their forum.  Youtube also knows it is an issue.  That is why they are pushing a new non Adobe Flash program (HTML5)  I guess Apple and Adobe have relationship issues.  It works sometimes.  Nothing more frustrating than trying to listen to a song only to have it buffer multiple times.

I have several Macs & other Apple products, none of which have issues at all.
Buffering can often be an issue with your connectivity/speed from your ISP &/or resource availability on your system.
What speed/s are you getting from your ISP? What are your system specs?

I recently made the same jump as you from PC to Mac and I totally agree with expecting everything to be perfect.   I don't however have any issues with youtube

BigBear said:
I have several Macs & other Apple products, none of which have issues at all.
Buffering can often be an issue with your connectivity/speed from your ISP &/or resource availability on your system.
What speed/s are you getting from your ISP? What are your system specs?

Not sure what happened with the above post...when I hit quote it posted instead of letting me add anything. Anyway...this Macbook Pro is using OSX Version 10.8.3. Processor is a 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory is 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3. Not sure it matters, however it has a 256 GB solid state hard drive.

Just checked my speed. cnet says I am running around 950 kbps. Another place says 2 MB. Regardless, that is a lot less than what I am paying Cox for.

You should be gold on your system, your internet speed on the other hand...
If your not getting your purchased speed I would give Cox a ring & have them troubleshoot it.
From my experience, the more you contact them the better chances your speed will be what you purchase.

I would like to say that either of those speeds would be sufficient, but chances are that is your issue with the buffering videos.

Good Luck!!

That speed is too slow!

I recently changed my ISP from Verizon to Comcast and dusted off my old cable modem from around 2007. Had the exact same speeds you now have. After some frustration and the help of their tech crew I figured out my modem was a 2 Docsis and I needed a 3 Docsis. Went and got a new one and my speeds are now around 72 MBS.

Thought I had things handled on this.  Reset the router, etc and my speed was good.  Tried the Mac.  Nope.  Worse than trying to watch a video on dial up.  So I plugged in my old Dell and tried.  Perfect.  Definitely a Mac issue.  Not sure what the issue is but I'm going to the Mac store this weekend to tell them what I think of this particular laptop.

As someone who is very new to mac as well, I can honestly say I have always left happy when I needed help or repairs.   Remember Sugar catches more than vinegar.    I can honestly say I love my mac over my pc's now that I know how to use it better.  

CBoukal said:
As someone who is very new to mac as well, I can honestly say I have always left happy when I needed help or repairs.   Remember Sugar catches more than vinegar.    I can honestly say I love my mac over my pc's now that I know how to use it better.  
^ +1
I too was not an advocate of Macs.  Used them as a kid, but preferred PCs.  However, my wife has always been a Mac fan.  She finally got me to try it.  I've loved the Mac platform ever since.

And as for customer service.  Absolutely fantastic.  Never go that kind of efficient quality service from Dell...that's for sure.

Jamie76 said:
...Nothing more frustrating than trying to listen to a song only to have it buffer multiple times.

Jamie76 said:
...I am running around 950 kbps. Another place says 2 MB.

Blaming your device/operating system for your lackluster ISP speed isn't exactly a valid point to be made in an Apple store.

Call your ISP and let them know that 2mbps is unacceptable and you're going to switch providers.

Have you tried listening to your songs via a client that specializes in internet audio? Spotify/Soundcloud/Pandora etc. etc.

While you could listen to music on it, YouTube is mainly for video, and it has a lot of advertising that eats up band with.

Good luck.

Flash does not come preloaded on the Mac, and because of what Apple calls security issues does not recommend it. However, it is a free download and works just fine. As for Adobe, this is no longer available from Apple. You have to get it from Adobe ( Oracle ) and Adobe has been very good with their security issues, so there should be not problem there at all.

I have and iPad and there is no Flash for it period. I have an iMac and use both Flash and Java. Absolutely not a problem in the world. Check your preferences to see if you have them enabled. Double check your security settings and permissions, check out your cookies setting. That may be disabled because of Flash, but it can be modified.

Everyone, thanks for the input.  Yes, I agree the issues with the ISP speed should not be a justifiable issue to bring the Apple store.  However, I had reset my router and tested my speeds and they were right around where they should be.  If it was an ISP issue, that should have cleared it up.  It wasn't because when I tried my Dell side by side, Youtube performed flawlessly.

I will take a look at the Flash issue.  Hopefully that will clear things up.  

Pugman1943 said:
Flash does not come preloaded on the Mac, and because of what Apple calls security issues does not recommend it. However, it is a free download and works just fine. As for Adobe, this is no longer available from Apple. You have to get it from Adobe ( Oracle ) and Adobe has been very good with their security issues, so there should be not problem there at all.

I have and iPad and there is no Flash for it period. I have an iMac and use both Flash and Java. Absolutely not a problem in the world. Check your preferences to see if you have them enabled. Double check your security settings and permissions, check out your cookies setting. That may be disabled because of Flash, but it can be modified.
Thank you sir.  That appeared to do the trick.  It was set to download Flash in my preferences but never did.  I uploaded the newest version and it appears to have taken care of the issue.