• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Maduro question

yanksfan

Reaction score
Fairly new to the leaf here. Whenever I buy cigars I tend to gravitate towards the maduros. Is this something most newbies do? I have tried plenty of naturals but seem to end up with the others. Just wondering!

Not my experience. I started out with the milder Connecticut Shade Wrapper type cigars. I could not smoke a Maduro wrapper to save my life without getting heart burn and spitting every other draw.
Now it's my go to, and I usually only smoke the others when I need a yard gar.

You are not alone. The very first cigar I smoked was a Maduro. It was a few months into my cigar smoking before I picked up a lighter wrapper. I have found that Maduros are nto necessarily stronger cigars but have a distinct rich flavor that you do not get from lighter wrapper. Now it just depends on the mood and time of day.

I like them both, although that wasn't always the case. I still prefer natural wrappers. I find that maduro wrappers obscure the taste of the bunch.

Doc.

I have always felt a maduro wrapper lens to a to a richer and more homogeneous experience than natural cigars. I love a maduro wrapper and the taste and aroma that they lend to a smoking experience. To me it's almost a "cooked" vs "raw" type of contrast in flavors. I sometimes try to compare cigar smoking to other things I like that involve my sensory perception like eating food. To me smoking a maduro cigar is like eating a cooked meal that has been on the stove for hours. There are some distinct flavor differences due to all of the different ingredients that has a backdrop of blended and homogenous flavor in the background that I believe is from the wrapper. Natural cigars on the other hand for me are like eating sushi. The flavor/aroma profiles are much more distinct in the presentation and transition and require a certain deliberate attention in order to pick up and appreciate. For me I went to maduro cigars in the beginning because I was not mentally capable of appreciating all of the nuances of the natural leaf and its transitions. Just like how it took me years to enjoy eating sushi because I feel my brain wasn't capable of computing and enjoying the contrasts of texture and flavor that sushi can lend. Now that I have been smoking for a few years on somewhat of a consistent basis, I have struck more of a balance inside my humi as I feel I can pick up and appreciate more of the the barnyard/grassy/leathery/floral types of sensations vs the roasted/cocoa/espresso types. For the record, I love both and variety and change of pace is a welcome factor in my smoking experience. Choices are a good thing. Always buy what you know you will like so a good time can be predicted somewhat if you plan to smoke, and venture out into other varieties when you know you have some time for something new. Don't shy away from small/thin ring guages because they are a great way to keep cost/time to a minimum when trying something new. Good luck!

Like many others new to the leaf, I also started out with the natural or Connecticut broadleaf. I have since moved on to like a fuller bodied cigar with a maduro wrapper. It seems to give a little more taste to the cigar. I still enjoy a natural wrapper though. The one's that I've found a signifcant taste difference in are the Padron 1926 serie. The maddie's in that line are my absolute favorite, but the natural wrapped don't seem to quite have the same flavor as the maddie's. JMHO though.

I have always felt a maduro wrapper lens to a to a richer and more homogeneous experience than natural cigars. I love a maduro wrapper and the taste and aroma that they lend to a smoking experience. To me it's almost a "cooked" vs "raw" type of contrast in flavors. I sometimes try to compare cigar smoking to other things I like that involve my sensory perception like eating food. To me smoking a maduro cigar is like eating a cooked meal that has been on the stove for hours. There are some distinct flavor differences due to all of the different ingredients that has a backdrop of blended and homogenous flavor in the background that I believe is from the wrapper. Natural cigars on the other hand for me are like eating sushi. The flavor/aroma profiles are much more distinct in the presentation and transition and require a certain deliberate attention in order to pick up and appreciate. For me I went to maduro cigars in the beginning because I was not mentally capable of appreciating all of the nuances of the natural leaf and its transitions. Just like how it took me years to enjoy eating sushi because I feel my brain wasn't capable of computing and enjoying the contrasts of texture and flavor that sushi can lend. Now that I have been smoking for a few years on somewhat of a consistent basis, I have struck more of a balance inside my humi as I feel I can pick up and appreciate more of the the barnyard/grassy/leathery/floral types of sensations vs the roasted/cocoa/espresso types. For the record, I love both and variety and change of pace is a welcome factor in my smoking experience. Choices are a good thing. Always buy what you know you will like so a good time can be predicted somewhat if you plan to smoke, and venture out into other varieties when you know you have some time for something new. Don't shy away from small/thin ring guages because they are a great way to keep cost/time to a minimum when trying something new. Good luck!
Fascinating perspective on this, Marcus!

I tend to generalize the non-maduro cigars as revealing more detail of the citrus/grass/hay/tang/pepper portion of their spectrum of flavors. I mentally place these flavors in the front of the mouth and forward nasal passages. In contrast, I find the maduro cigars to reveal a range further "down" the flavor register: cocoa/earth/sweet spices. I mentally place these more "dense" flavors in the back of the mouth and in the center and rear of the nasal passages.

In other words, both maduros and non-maduros can exhibit equivalent complexity in their natural registers.

Of course, overfermented or "spent" maduro wrappers can muddy up any cigar they're applied to perhaps contributing, in part, to the obscuring effect which Doc mentioned.

Wilkey

I like maduro wrappers best. I like the rich flavor that they have but i also like connecticut broadleaf wrappers that are on gurhka legends. :rolleyes:

I enjoy the maduro wrapped versions versus the lighter wrapped cigars. The dark wrappers provide more robust flavors that I like. However, I have been enjoying more lighter wrapped smokes. My sense of taste seems to have been heightened to the point that I can taste subtlties that I could not taste a few years ago.

I mostly enjoy mild-medium cigars, so I have to say that I've found the Maduros to be much more enjoyable. The lighter (natural) wrapper milder cigars seem to lack the flavor of the maduro, so the maduros are more fulfilling without going to a stronger smoke.

Ditto just about what everyone else has said. The Maduro, imho, is a more full rich taste and more enjoyable. The naturals just don't seem to be as tasty.

I had a very similar experience.

When I purchased the humidor and starting collecting cigars I kept drifting towards the darkness. The rich, deep flavors was far more appealing than the occassional lighter cigars I had tried.

My theory was if I wanted to smoke a cigar, then wouldn't I want the most flavor to enjoy. After getting my tail handed to me a couple of times of some powerful smokes, I have learned the need for some lighter fare as well--and subtly within those smokes are some great tastes waiting to be discovered.

There is a time for everything...a time for maduros and a time for conneticuts.

--added note: a far more refined statement is Marcos sushi analogy.