• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

May be in order...

Matt R

That's #1 Member to you. :)
So, this may be in order, since it's been so long since I've been active here. I notice so many new names that it may take me a while to get everyone straight, or I may never get everyone straight. I had a few major set backs over my life in the past few years and while being active here and my friends from here were always very important to me, other things sort of took over. Our business was basically taken over by a partner we had. While we were aware it was a possibilty, we never thought it would happen. He hired all of our employees, excluding myself, my brother and my father. My father had sole ownership in the company so the next step was bankruptcy for him and my mother. In the end I thought this was best for him, as it took a lot of pressure off of him, as far as running the company. Well, then our second company was basically put on hold because a lot of the funding of it came from the first businesses paychecks. While we still have that business, it is at a standstill and will probably either dissolve or go into some liscensing agreement. I was unemployed for almost two years, running a side business as an electrician at the time. I realized during that time that I while I was good at running a company, I wasn't very good at owning one. LOL! The bar called my name most nights and I didn't really have the push to seek electrical jobs. So, I started applying for everything and I do mean EVERYTHING. I even applied to be the head of neuro-surgery at the local hospital. LOL! During this unemployment my father was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease, so we added another fun thing to deal with to the neverending list. As of now, he is not showing many symptons. The tremors are controlled by meds, but his mental state is not always the way I remember, keeping in mind he just turned 60, I don't think he should be forgetting what stop signs are all about when he's driving, yet. LOL! So, finally got a job a bit over a year ago, as a route sales rep for a bread company. Now cohibasurfer and I are not only BOTLs, but we a BOTB. While a decent job, it's about 1/2 the salary and three times the hours. Now, we find out last week that the company has been sold to another bread company, who's routes are all independently owned. So, may be out of a job again at some time in the future. But, having a job is/was nice and it put some perspective on life. Lots of time to think driving all day. Right before Easter of this year I had gotten off work and was enjoying some fresh fried fish and a Bud Light at the club and saw the fire trucks pull out of the local station. I commented that it must be a big one since the big ladder truck was leaving. A second or less after saying that my phone rings and my wife tells me to get home, or house is on fire. Apparently my kids were using a desk lamp to "boil water" and left the house. Well, the alarms went off, grandma went downstairs to see what was going on and the basement was on fire. They got the fire out fairly fast, but there was a lot of damge in the basement. All the kids toys were a loss, as well as terrible smoke damage upstairs. A cleaning company came in, did some work, cleaned up most stuff and some they weren't supposed to. Well, I decided along with my insurance company, that I wasn't going to pay them for work that wasn't supposed to be done. They decided otherwise and sued us. Lawyers advised us to pay, so we did. That pretty much took up from Easter until now and the house is still not back t o normal, but at least everyone is safe and it's almost over.

That brings me up to date and while there were a lot of unlucky things that have happened, we also had some good things this year too, which is why I am writing this. I realized how many friends I had/have here and would like to re-connect and become a part of the community again. My postings will more than likely be more limited than in prior years, because of time constraints with work, but I will hope to bring some humor back and also whatever knowledge I can. My cigar experiences have been very limited over these last few years. I have bought nothing since probably 2007, so most of these new things are a mystery to me. Some of the good brothers here congratulated me on my new job last year and sent some very fine smokes. I have tried most of them and found some really good things coming off the island. I particularly liked the Bolivar regionals, but have always been a Boli fan. So, as I gather steam again, I will hope to be able to add to the
conversations in not only a tongue in cheek humor way, but also a meaningful way.

So, in closing, I'd like to re-introduce myself to everyone here, new and old. I'd like to openly apologize to a dear friend I met here, who may or may not read this. I'd like to offer my assistance in anything I can help with. And, I'd like to thank all of you not only for being my buddies and providing a great community to be a part of, but also to thank you for reading this. It ha been very therapeutic.

Oh and if anyone's on Facebook that I haven't already friended, let me know. I am a Facebook idiot and am always looking for new friends so I can stalk their pictures for hot chicks. LOL!!!!

Hi Matt! Here's to better things on the next horizon.
:thumbs:

Quite a read brother! Here's hoping for a happy and safe holiday season for you and yours Matt! Looking forward to seeing you around more often!

Wow, Matt, it sounds like you've had quite the time of it. Here's to the best in the future! :thumbs:

Welcome back. :)

Good to see you around here Matt. Sounds like a rough few years. Nowhere to go, but up form here. :)

'Wow' is right.

We've had a tough couple of years too, but nothing like that. Jeez!

I do understand, 'hoping and praying' that we're on the backside.

Nice seeing on the boards again.

Gary

Welcome back Matt. Sounds like a rough couple of years. Hopefully everything will get better from here on out. Safe holidays to you and your family.

Welcome back Matt. Tough road for sure the last few years, you are still here though, keep up the good fight.

Hi Matt. As a dick-stepping noobie, I'm always happy to meet another one of the old guard. Welcome back, I was only keeping the place warm for you, honest. :)

Jfc matt sounds like a lot has happened since the last big herf. Good to see you posting again and I will add you on fb, as long as you don't tell my wife about that xmas "surprise" from a few years back lol

Good god man! Well it's good to see you back and I hope to see more of you posting!

I hope things look up dude, that's some heavy sh*t.

Wow, that's a hell of a ride you've having.

Welcome back.

P.S. - You're avatar has always cracked me up.

Welcome back, Matt. Hoping your rough road gets much smoother in the months to come.

Good to see you back, my friend....B.B.S.

Welcome back Matt. I have to say that is one helluva decent reason(s) to not be very active! Hopefully things are back on track for ya real soon.

Welcome back brother, I hope your luck turns to the best........ :) :thumbs: :cool: