• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Memorial Day, a long time ago

Devil Doc

When Death smiles, Corpsmen smile back
I've posted this every Memorial Day since I've been here. I trust it hasn't gotten old for some of you fellas.

Before 1971, Memorial day was not the holiday we celebrate today. It was not a three day weekend. It was not the beginning of the picnic season, nor was it start of the tourist season. It was a time to commemorate our war dead. I’d like to share with you all what Memorial day was like for a boy growing up in rural Vermont in the 50’s and 60’s

My grandmother was a Gold Star Mother, so our preparations started about 2 weeks before the 30th . My Uncle, 1st Recon battalion, 1st Cav. was killed at Kasserine Pass, North Africa in 1942. My Dad was with the 1st Infantry Div., 32nd field Artillery. He fought from the first day to the last, three invasions and seven campaigns, starting in N. Africa and ending up in Pilsen, Czechoslovakia.  How he survived, I’ll never understand. My grandfather was a WWI vet, who left the safety of the US in 1914 to serve in the Italian army. Anyway , we started our annual obligation by having the florist prepare two large urns with geraniums. Later we would haul them to the cemetery, place them on either side of my uncle’s grave stone, and finally plant a new Flag provided by the VFW.

I was also busy. I was a member of the VFW cadet corps drill team, and we practiced nearly every night the silent drill that we would perform in front of the reviewing stand at our annual Memorial day parade. We spent what other free time we had selling Buddy Poppies made by disabled Vets. I enjoyed this activity. It allowed us kids the opportunity to meet all the Veterans in town and listen to their war stories. We also would spend the Saturday before the holiday planting flags on those veterans graves who no longer had family in town.

Finally, the day would arrive. We would form at the northern end of Main St., every one nervous that they would fall out of step, or worse, drop their rifle in front of the reviewing stand. We had an old retired WWI Marine Gunnery Sgt. as our instructor and he would always make sure we were formed in front of the National Guard band , so we could hear the bass drum, and stay in step.

At 10am sharp the parade would begin. We would march down the length of Main St. under the century maples, planted in 1876 to commemorate the 100th birthday of the US. When we reached the reviewing stand, populated with various distinguished personages we performed our 15 minutes of silent drill, usually without a hitch, and then proceed to the court house park, where the monuments for the Civil War, WWI, WWII and Korea were. Here wreaths of red, white and blues carnations were laid with much pomp and circumstance, while we stood at attention, often in the heat of the noon day sun. Gunny Flint had trained us well, and not ever did a boy faint in formation. He had taught us to wiggle our toes and rock back and forth from heal to toe, imperceptibly, to keep the blood flowing and keep us from hitting the pavement. Earlier that morning a contingent of Navy , Coast Guard, and Merchant Marine vets placed wreaths in the Passumsic river for those lost or buried at sea.

After about an hour of speeches, all while standing at parade rest, the parade would leave the park, wind down Eastern Ave., up Maple St. and end, much to our relief, at the American Legion Post where the drinking , eating , horseshoe pitching and softball games would entertain us for the rest of the day.

Doc.          

Thanks for posting that, Doc.  You grew up in a time when young men were raised the right way.

I served on the Base Honor Guard from 2000-2001 when I was at Little Rock AFB.  Final Military Honors for WWII vets had really picked up around that time, so much so that the USAFHG issued orders to better utilize their honor guards with the increase in funeral details and decrease in authorized base-level honor guards.  This is the most rewarding period of my entire career.  It also made me really regret a moment of my youth I can never get back.  

When I was a senior in high school, our English class took a trip to the VA hospital in order to interview and chronicle stories from WWII vets.  I remember bits and pieces of the stories, but we were really just a bunch of testosterone-filled teenagers set free in the city with the girls in our class on our minds.  The actual assignment came secondary.  As I started doing more and more details with the honor guard, I realized how important those stories actually were, as many of those veterans were most likely being given their Final Military Honors by now-grown young men just like myself.  What I wouldn't give to be able to have that day back again knowing what I know now...

To me, the poster of the young lady laying on the grave of our fallen Brother is the reality of the day.  Although I too will hopefully be drinking a few beers and smoking a few sticks, I will start my day with a memory while thinking of my brothers and sisters that didn't make it home.  I am proud to have been a part of their community.  RIP Brothers and Sisters, RIP.

Thanks Doc for sharing this once again! I love to get down town to see the parade every year and to honor our vets and those who gave the ultimate sacrifice. With the deep military background in my wife's family it becomes an emotional day. Here in Derry we have a few very beautifully displayed monument of the varies wars one of which we hold close to our family. It is monument to recognize all the Derry residents that have fought in either the Iraq or Afghanistan war. Atop of the monument is the name Daniel Dawe that is my wife's brother He served twice in Iraq (first tour was during the first time the USA swept Fallujah) and recalled to serve in Afghanistan and is now a retired US Marine Corp Staff Sargent. 

9f93ba7c-c9ea-4358-b0a9-e2ff4a541446.JPG

4753d51b-c700-4727-885b-fe9b15396d21.JPG

My heart goes out to each and every person that has fought to defend our country! I always take this time to think or all the fallen hero's that gave their lives for our freedom. I myself am no military man and was not raised that way but over the past 10+ years of being around my in-laws and listening to all his story's and the stories that some have shared here on CP I am truly thankful for everything our military men and women old and young have done for us. 

Of course once the Parade is done and we head on home we sit back with a few cold ones and some cigars and enjoy the day off!

Thank you again to all my CP brothers and sisters that serve this great country
Paul 

Devil Doc said:
I've posted this every Memorial Day since I've been here. I trust it hasn't gotten old for some of you fellas.

Never gets old. Thanks for re-posting.

Always a good read, Doc.  Especially having many family members and close friends who serve and have served in the military.

We just had a ceremony today at school.  Two of my kids played Taps, the chorus sang.  Its good to see the true meaning of this day not getting lost on the younger generation.

I've read it many times Doc and I always enjoy it. 
Thank you for sharing. 
G~

Doc, thanks for sharing your story with us. I wish more people realized the reason for the Holiday and not as a three day weekend. I attend our annual parade every year in my hometown and am proud of the Vets in our community. Both my mother and father were Air Force veterans.

A heartfelt "Thank you" to all who have answered the call.

Thanks Doc. Memorial Day has always been a special day in our family too.

Doc, your vivid description of your Memorial Day preparations and event came alive in my imagination. It read like an excerpt out of a best selling novel! Thank you for sharing precious childhood memories.

Thank you to all veterans and current armed forces personnel who serve to protect this great country.

Thanks for sharing again Doc! So many people think Memorial Day is all about beer and bbq.

Thank you for that Doc. It took me back to my younger days.

My Dad was in WWII, USMC Raiders, South Pacific. He didn't talk much about the war. Most times, he would only say " I got lucky, I came home" But I knew, his mind was with the men that had fallen during his service to our country. The tears in his eyes told the story louder then words ever could.

All gave some, some gave all.

Thank you to all the men and woman, past and present, who have served.

Thanks, Doc.  Always a good read.

Great respect for all the men and women that served our country.  

Doc, Thanks for your excellent post, I will be looking forward to reading this for many years to come.

My grandfather was a WWII vet (Field Medic), he passed when I was still quite young, but I recall how proud I was of him even at my young age for what he did for our country.
I fear with our government acting the way they are, that our vets are again being looked upon as they once were after Vietnam...
But we must remember that there are still many of them that are doing what they believe in for our Country & our Freedom, not the current tyranny that is encroaching on us today.
To all those that have, are & will fight for the Constitution of our Great Untied States of America, I Salute & Respect You.
To all those that work to subvert or otherwise pervert our Constitutional Republic (We are not a democratic republic, as some would like you to believe)...  I simply say, APPEAL TO HEAVEN... We will have no Mercy!!

God Bless America & All those that Serve her!!