• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Metal Detectors!

SamClemmons

eloquent absurdity
My Tesoro uMax Silver...sunthin' or other looks to be seriously outclassed by the new legion of detectors out there. Anybody got any recommendations?

NA

My Tesoro uMax Silver...sunthin' or other looks to be seriously outclassed by the new legion of detectors out there. Anybody got any recommendations?

NA

I personally like the Fisher stuff best. Have a CZ-6... :thumbs:

Can't remember the name offhand but had a demo of a new little tesoro. Seemed like an awesome machine.
We have a Garratt Ace 250 for coins, white's GM3 for gold. Also cheapy Bounty Hunter for a spare. Seems like the Ace 250 is very popular these days for a lower priced model. $200-$250. Works great.

Fisher, Minelab, Tesoro, Whites....they all make a good machine. Just depends on what you are looking for and how deep your pockets are.

I bought the entry level Teosro a few years ago for coin shooting and it paid for itself the first summer I had it. For mining, Tesoro and Minelab both make a great gold detector. Whites is a good coin shooter and probably the easiest to use.

I've been really happy with my Whites MXT. It's taken quite a beating in the Georgia hills and it works perfect every time. Great target I.D. and I do a lot of gold prospecting so it's dual function works very well. It lack the depth sensitivity for small nuggets.
If I could get a new one it would have to be a Minelab GPX 4000 and the 4000 stands for $4000 a piece. So that purchase won't happen any time soon. I've been lucky enough to field test a few of the Minelabs and they are manufacturing detectors that are far superior to anything else I have used. For all around use the Sovereign GT is the best deal out there. It doesn't use standard single or dual VLF, it's uses BBS (broad band spectrum) 17 frequencies from 1.5 khz to 25.5 khz all for around $700. If you want to step up a bit to the $850 range and you like a display the Minelab Quattro uses FBS (full band spectrum) from 1.5 to 100 khz and it's an awesome detector for all around use. The Quattro hit targets from 2 to 3 times deeper than my MXT when we field tested it. These guys are in a class all by themselves right now, IMHO nobody is making anything close to these guys.

Al

I'm leaning toward the Garratt GTI 2500... or even the 1500... both are virtually the same machine. The minelabs are the shit no doubt but all I ever find is Confederate Gold... lead shot.
That RS model fits you to a tee Jim lmao.

what are some of the more interesting or valuable things you guys have found while doing this??

I've got quite a few good gold nuggets. The biggest being about a 1/4 oz. I once found a nice cache of coins, about 30 different silver dimes and quarters a bunch of pennies and nickels dating back to the 1890's, some cool meteorites and just a whole bunch of other stuff. One of the guys I go out with found a whole sealed case of Henry rifles.

Gotta stop reading right now. I do NOT need another time/$$$ sucking hobby.

Wilkey

I have a Whites MXT that is begging to be used. Just can't find anyone to teach me. :whistling:

Do you guys actually ever find anything good? I've been thinking about getting one to comb the beaches with. What's your best find?