• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Metal Detectors!

Ok, I'm going to get one, been thinking about doing this for a long time. What's a good detector for combing the beaches? I'm going to be hunting for gold. Can I get something good for around $200?

Ok, I'm going to get one, been thinking about doing this for a long time. What's a good detector for combing the beaches? I'm going to be hunting for gold. Can I get something good for around $200?
Hey! Damnit. This is about me. This is NOT about you. I am the one seeking wisdom. This is MY quest not yours. Shoot, they ain't got nothin' good to find in California anyway... condoms, you could find condoms on the beach but you won't need a metal detector...

Tracking down a Quattro though...

NA

I have found tons of coins, most of it modern stuff from local parks and playgrounds. Found some older silver dimes from a construction site downtown before. Go in when the sidewalks have been torn up and you can get to the ground underneath. Back in the day the walks were dirt or gravel and many an old coin were lost there.

Found a bunch of rings, silver and gold, some gold chains and my best find was a locket full of small gold nuggets and flakes.

Look for former sites of old schools, churches and such. Search around where folks would have walked to and from where the buildings once were and you will increase your chances of finding stuff. In modern parks, search around the playground equipment for change and rings that have fallen from pockets and fingers while folks are swinging and such. Also make note of where folks lay out blankets for picnics and search those areas for stuff lost in the grass over the years.

Some of my best finds came from places where folks would lay out and stuff would fall off the edges of the towel or blanket. Search inside old cigarette foils you find for paper money and such. Some folks put stuff in cigarette packs for safekeeping then forget or loose the pack. If you are in a really trashy area with lots of old beer can tabs from back in the day, dig everything you get a hit on, trash or not. Sometimes the good stuff is mixed in with the trash and the detector cannot tell the difference or the good stuff is under all the garbage.

And remember, a gold ring will often register the same as a pull tab. :)

I had to sell my detector a few years ago to pay some medical bills, but I have been itching to get another. Fun times searching and all the walking and digging is good for you.

Just remember to cover your holes and try your best to replace the grass the way you found it. Some owners of older homes will let you detect on their property if you ask nice and leave no trace when you are done.

Check Ebay. You can get a decent Tesoro machine for around $200 or so if you shop around. Just research what they retail for and then place your bid accordingly. The basic machines do not have the fancy digital display, but you go by sound when you get a hit. I got to the point where I could tell the difference between a quarter and a dime by the tone my detector gave off. A good set of headphones are a must. Some weak/deep signals cannot be heard easily without them.

I had a Tesoro Cutlass II. Was a basic no frills machine and I paid $250 new. Paid for itself the first summer I used it and then some.

You gotta be kidding me... Ham radio, Geocaching, guns, now Metal detecting... We all think and play alike...

I am past president of the local metal detector club.

My land machine is a Shadow X5. It replaced my XLT.
My water machine is a Tesoro Stingray II

My wife has an original Tesoro umax. I am fond of Tesoro but never got around to buying a Tejon. Bought an X5 used at a deal instead.

I haven't hunted much lately since my wife got cancer but the family still attends the monthly meetings.

Stay away from Radio shack if you want a serious machine.. and I would also include bounty hunter although we had a member who won treasure hunter of there year for years until he suddenly died one day of a brain anorisim.

As mentioned above most brands have great machines if you learn to use it and GO HUNTING!

I would recommend going to a local dealer instead of a mail order vendor for a first machine. It is important to be taught by the dealer how to use the machine and most importantly how to recover your finds without leaving a trace when you leave.

We have a local dealer in the club who is a good honest Christian husband/wife dealer team. Mainly deals in Whites if you are close to northern Indiana I would recommend him for your first buy.

Make sure your purchase comes with some training.

BTW, one of our Warsaw members found a CS buckle here in Indiana. Sold it for I believe $7,000. A Ft. Wayne member found a $25K ring i believe in Spain.

Check Ebay. You can get a decent Tesoro machine for around $200 or so if you shop around. Just research what they retail for and then place your bid accordingly. The basic machines do not have the fancy digital display, but you go by sound when you get a hit. I got to the point where I could tell the difference between a quarter and a dime by the tone my detector gave off. A good set of headphones are a must. Some weak/deep signals cannot be heard easily without them.

I had a Tesoro Cutlass II. Was a basic no frills machine and I paid $250 new. Paid for itself the first summer I used it and then some.

In salt water beaches I would lean towards a water machine. Last research was that Tesoro was still hottest on gold especially the hard to detect chains. The Stingray II is hotter than the newer water machines but at least get a machine with a salt/fresh water switch. The salt water will throw off a regular machine in most cases.

My friend uses a Whites water machine and does well on rings.

Again in metal detecting it is 75% time in the field/water and 25% machine capability.

I also vote for a sound machine VS a ID machine. Been there/done that and went back to sound. If you want to find stuff You have to did the junk. Pull tabs and gold rings are in the same discrimination range. Want to find gold rings you need to dig the junk.

Explorer... Quattro... or DFX.

Somebody tell me what to buy.

NA

The DFX is heavier than the other two I think. I suggest another angle. Try finding a local club. Searching the FMDAC I found clubs in New Port News, Roanoke, & Virginia Beach. Roanoke is kinda close...

FMDAC VA CLUBS

Dealers:
VA
Anderson Detector Sales, Our Lynchburg office. 2339 Mosby Avenue Lynchburg, VA 24501-4341 Phone: (434) 528-3117 or really local 528-3117 or toll free 800-528-3117
JS Mosby Antiques and Artifacts 125 E. Main St., Orange, VA 22960 540-672-9944
Silver Buckle Detection - 3571 Kidder Lane Salem, VA 24153 540-384-6454
Ron’s Detectors “N” Relics - 413 Water Street, Mt. Jackson, VA 22824 540-984-3950

Check out the machines up close.

Explorer... Quattro... or DFX.

Somebody tell me what to buy.

NA

The DFX is heavier than the other two I think. I suggest another angle. Try finding a local club. Searching the FMDAC I found clubs in New Port News, Roanoke, & Virginia Beach. Roanoke is kinda close...

FMDAC VA CLUBS

Dealers:
VA
Anderson Detector Sales, Our Lynchburg office. 2339 Mosby Avenue Lynchburg, VA 24501-4341 Phone: (434) 528-3117 or really local 528-3117 or toll free 800-528-3117
JS Mosby Antiques and Artifacts 125 E. Main St., Orange, VA 22960 540-672-9944
Silver Buckle Detection - 3571 Kidder Lane Salem, VA 24153 540-384-6454
Ron’s Detectors “N” Relics - 413 Water Street, Mt. Jackson, VA 22824 540-984-3950

Check out the machines up close.

I'm not really concerned with the weight... I'm not the 100 lb weakling folks think I am. I want the best, most powerful, most versatile detector out there in the 1000.00 dollar range...give or take a few hundred.

NA

weight would be a big concern for me also. I don't want to wind up with Hellboy dismorphic arms either. :laugh:

So, you're a 200lb weaklin'? Yea, I know... fugg you Doc.

Doc.

Hey Doc...if I put my metal detector on you, would it go bonkers?????? :whistling:

Hey Doc...if I put my metal detector on you, would it go bonkers?????? :whistling:
If you're asking if I have a Purple Heart, the answer in no. I did cut myself on a C-Rat can once or twice though. ;)

Doc.

Sounds like you were in during my tour Doc. C-rats, loved mixing the ham with cheese and then dousing it with hot sauce. Good stuff there!!!!! :sign:

Sounds like you were in during my tour Doc. C-rats, loved mixing the ham with cheese and then dousing it with hot sauce. Good stuff there!!!!! :sign:

If you know what C-rats are then you know what the most important weapon system was in the military during that time. It was the much sought after P-38!! :thumbs:

[/quote]

I'm not really concerned with the weight... I'm not the 100 lb weakling folks think I am. I want the best, most powerful, most versatile detector out there in the 1000.00 dollar range...give or take a few hundred.

NA
[/quote]

I am tilting the scales myself but prefer the lighter machines if all things are comparable. I have a friend with a quatro I believe. I will give him a call and ask him his advice. He is on the detecting forums more often than I.

The chances of you and me being in the same bar are slim. The establishments I frequent require pants.

Doc.