• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Metal Detectors!

Ok, I'm getting ready to finally order my metal detector. :)

What's a good detector to get? My budget is around $250. Looking for something decent.

Lots of good machines out there. Do you want to buy new or used? Like Sam said land or Beach/water?

Might try A DEALER for that local customer service to get you started in the hobby right:
A quick google- Might be others:

http://www.pedersensintl.com/

Rick's Detecting
Write a review
223 Lillian Pl
Costa Mesa, CA 92627
(949) 642-0454

BMI Metal Detectors
Write a review
840 W 10th St
San Pedro, CA 90731
(310) 548-7025

Do you think you will hunt often? If not try a machine without ground balance. It might be simpler to learn.

Neal - Primarily beach. There are some good spots out here where I think I can find some nice treasures. ;)

GP - Thanks for the info!

Two fitty isn't enough imo. If you want a kick ass salt detector that you won't grow out of, go with the Minelab Sovereign GT. $700.00 from Kellyco. I just don't know enough about the other "salts" to recommend. You can call Tony at 860-623-1153 ... he owns TC Metal Detectors He'll prolly point you to one of the Tesoro's... which I have owned and didn't really care for. Also a lot of the salt detectors don't have a digital ID screen so you'll be going by tone which is fine and works well.

If I were buying a salt machine it would absolutely be the Sovereign.

Cruise some of the forums and read up.
Finds forum (beach detecting section)
Friendly's

Treasure net

NA

Thanks Neal. I'll check out those forums...

Have you found anything good recently?

Neal is right if you are looking at a water machine in that $250 is not enough unless you happen upon a used machine like a Stingray II (Tesoro). $250 would get you started with a land machine.

I may be wrong but I think the new Sovereign GT is a land machine so like all land machines it is only good in the water up to the box. I haven't read much on the GT but you might have to consider how far out you plan to wade.

For water, you are looking at two technologies for a water machine: Pulse Induction (PI) which is designed for Salt Water only and the standard fresh water machine that usually has a salt water or " black sand" switch making it a duel use machine (land, fresh water, and Sea).

The major players:
Minelab: Excalibur II 800, Excalibur II 1000 ...both great water machines but you pay for it.
Fisher: CZ-21, 1280-X
Tesoro: Tiger Shark: Duel use switch, Sand Shark: (PI), Stingray II: Duel use but old model/used (better IMO than the Tiger Shark
Whites: Surf PI PRO (PI), Beach Hunter ID: Duel use
Garrett: Sea hunter Mark II

Outside of the Garrett, I currently know of every brand being represented in my local metal detecting club.

As for land vs sea... that is why I own a water machine AND a land machine.

For salt water, a pulse induction machine is a good choice as it ignores the conductivity of the salt water. There are a fair number of older PI machines out there for less than $200 or so that will do fine. But I would not rule out a land machine for the beech or a fresh water machine that is engineered to be quyite capable in many salt situations.

As for results that comes from both learning the machine and practicing to develop skill and doing research so that you are looking in the right places."

One last note: don't forget the funky shorts and hat. the official outfit of the beach comber.

Neal- The Explorer is a nice land machine.

Neal is right if you are looking at a water machine in that $250 is not enough unless you happen upon a used machine like a Stingray II (Tesoro). $250 would get you started with a land machine.

I may be wrong but I think the new Sovereign GT is a land machine so like all land machines it is only good in the water up to the box. I haven't read much on the GT but you might have to consider how far out you plan to wade.

For water, you are looking at two technologies for a water machine: Pulse Induction (PI) which is designed for Salt Water only and the standard fresh water machine that usually has a salt water or " black sand" switch making it a duel use machine (land, fresh water, and Sea).

The major players:
Minelab: Excalibur II 800, Excalibur II 1000 ...both great water machines but you pay for it.
Fisher: CZ-21, 1280-X
Tesoro: Tiger Shark: Duel use switch, Sand Shark: (PI), Stingray II: Duel use but old model/used (better IMO than the Tiger Shark
Whites: Surf PI PRO (PI), Beach Hunter ID: Duel use
Garrett: Sea hunter Mark II

Outside of the Garrett, I currently know of every brand being represented in my local metal detecting club.

As for land vs sea... that is why I own a water machine AND a land machine.

For salt water, a pulse induction machine is a good choice as it ignores the conductivity of the salt water. There are a fair number of older PI machines out there for less than $200 or so that will do fine. But I would not rule out a land machine for the beech or a fresh water machine that is engineered to be quyite capable in many salt situations.

As for results that comes from both learning the machine and practicing to develop skill and doing research so that you are looking in the right places."

One last note: don't forget the funky shorts and hat. the official outfit of the beach comber.

Neal- The Explorer is a nice land machine.
Ayuh, the Sovereign will do it all and has the waterproof coil. As I understood Ron, he was looking to detect on wet sand in and around the waterline. Anyway, sounds like you know more about the salty's than I do but I'd still be inclined to get the Sovereign for my beach machine.
Yeah the Explorer is the shit alright. The learning curve was a bitch though. It'll beach hunt in wet sand too... I popped a silver necklace and wedding band at more than a foot in the surf. Try digging down a foot in the wash while balancing that fugger on your shoulder to keep it out of the water. LOL.

NA

I'm looking to scrounge around the volleyball courts. I figure I can find some good treasures there. :D

Rod,

You are probably better off getting a land machine. It will work in the sand and be better away from the water in the parks, yards, etc.

I haven't hunted much since my wife was diagnosed with cancer. Kids are getting older so we will eventually get going again when they can do more than dig, Right now we are more into geocaching. I do have a local woods that supposedly had a church picnic grove located near it. I plan to hit it early this spring. If we find it it could be an unhunted paradise.

Mike