• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Method for tasting a cigar?

endzone

So I am really new to the cigar thing. Question I have is, I see all these reviews, and I have smoked some of the cigars and dont get any taste but a "cigar taste"

So are you holding the smoke in your mouth to get the taste? Are you breathing through your nose while inhaling? Do you take a puff of smoke and then get some fresh air in your mouth too to taste it? What is the best method for tasting?

I usually don't taste any flavors unless I do the exhale a puff through the nose trick. As you exhale out of the mouth, the last bit of smoke gets exhaled out of the nostrils. Hits the back of the tongue or throat and emphasizes the tastes of the smoke abit better. Usually helps when your tongue has been tore up from smoking cigarettes.

edit: Forgot to add that I recommend you introducing yourself here http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showforum=34 to let us get to know you better. And please be sure to read all the rules. Have fun.

Is that similar to while exhaling out the mouth, inhaling a bit of smoke, or smelling the smoke your inhaling?

So I am really new to the cigar thing.
Question I have is, I see all these reviews, and I have smoked some of the cigars and dont get any taste but a "cigar taste"

Are you smoking tasty cigars?

So are you holding the smoke in your mouth to get the taste? Somewhat!
Are you breathing through your nose while inhaling? Yes...but what would that matter?
Do you take a puff of smoke and then get some fresh air in your mouth too to taste it? No!

What is the best method for tasting? 'Feel it' on your taste buds.

I exhale through the nose for more pronounced flavor. I also only drink water with cigars when reviewing them because anything else really does affect the taste of the cigar.

You need to get in touch with your inner screwball. Then you'll taste all kinds of things, from chocolate to black cherries. Those of us who have our feet firmly planted on Terra firma only taste tobacco. Please don't feel inadequate. They're the ones with the pathology.

Doc.

I've found that as my smoking experience increases, so does my ability to pick up different flavors. Give it some time I would say.

Most of the ones I smoke have a kinda pineapply taste. But seriously, I don't do the nose thing. I gently puff the smoke down and let it waft up. But a GOOD one, it doesn't matter. It will talk to you.

Are you smoking cigarettes? That will deaden you taste of a good cigar.

Is that similar to while exhaling out the mouth, inhaling a bit of smoke, or smelling the smoke your inhaling?
No. That sounds like french inhaling and it has no place in cigar smoking (unless you want to destroy your nasal lining).

Draw on the cigar and then exhale through the nose. It's that simple. You might "taste" something, you might not. Everyone is different.

to enjoy a cigar you don't need to get caught up in comparing a cigar's taste
to those of food, such as coffee, chocolate, almonds, etc.

like doc said, most experienced smokers taste "tobacco" and it's better
to use terms like sweet, bitter, smooth, full-bodied to describe the tobacco.

I didn't start picking up tastes until I had smoked quite a few cigars, it's just something you pick up. Whether Doc admits it or not, there are specific tastes you get from specific cigars, some choose to explain those as smooth, toothy, bitter, etc. others, such as myself, prefer to align foods with the tastes we're getting. You won't get alot of taste from most of the cheap cigars, try some her end ones after you've got some smoking under your belt, and you'll note the different tastes.

*edit* - One other thing, let the cigar sit for 30 seconds or more between puffs, this allows it to cool down, and at least I'm able to get more taste from a cool cigar.

That is a tough question to answer. can definitely remember taste profiles between differant cigars, but I do not get too many differant flvors from cigars.

Ihave tasted leather; both tangy and not, black cherry, earth, honey, cocoa, grass and wheat, nutmeggy sort of thing, orange zest (cameroon wrappers....especially partagas decadas even ripe cheese occasionally. There are more that I've been able to experience, but all tend to reveal them selves to me, rather than being in my face.

A lot of times its just your basic sweet, sour, etc.
I let the smoke drift out of my mouth, with a little bit out the nose at the end. It can be a more profound experience if you let, I guess something like, equal amounts of smoke out the mouth and nose, but you risk fatigueing your olfactory system, which will kill your sense of taste.

The main thing is if you enjoy the smoke or not. There are plenty of cigars that I love, that I could not tell you what they taste like beyond spicey or earth and spice, or spice and mineral, but, I enjoy the hell out of them.

My wife is gifted in that area, she can detect flavors to a great degree. Hell, we have something out to eat and she can tell you what's in it, and go home and make it. She can even taste things in her mind, and determine she wants to mix two or three items together. If I could do that....

As you exhale, suck in a bit off the end of the smoke trail. Gives you really pronounced flavors.

So I am really new to the cigar thing. Question I have is, I see all these reviews, and I have smoked some of the cigars and dont get any taste but a "cigar taste"

So are you holding the smoke in your mouth to get the taste? Are you breathing through your nose while inhaling? Do you take a puff of smoke and then get some fresh air in your mouth too to taste it? What is the best method for tasting?

Cigar Tasting 101

I take the smoke into my mouth and then exhale most of it through my nose. I have found this technique to be the best for tasting a cigar.

As you exhale, suck in a bit off the end of the smoke trail. Gives you really pronounced flavors.

This is what works best for me. I don't know if my buds are burnt from cigarettes or what but most of the flavors I get from a cigar are on the back of my palate. I tried exhaling through my nose once..... not a good idea!

I wonder.... on what part of your palate do most of you get the most pronounced flavor from a cigar? Front, middle, back, sides or an equal combination of all?

I've done or tried all these methods to taste a cigar i'm smoking. But the bottom line is smoking a cigar is relaxing and when i do taste a cigar i'm smoking (to the nub) and I like it, I remeber it and i buy more of that cigar. :D