• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Mike's Wine-o-dor

rectifythis

CP; may cause dependency
**UPDATED 8/13/08-POST #36 HAS A 2ND UNIT WITH MORE UPGRADES**

So I know my wine-o-dor is nothing fancy like many of the others but I still wanted to share with those who are thinking about it but don't want to put in all the extra effort so here goes...

The reason:
I live in Arizona. 5 months of the year is over 100 degrees....right now it's 115. After having beetles, I don't want to take any chances and try not to let my cigars get over 70 degrees. I couldn't do this with the home AC because my bill would be outrageous.

The solution:
Interscape referred me to the Vinotemp 28TEDS (Thermoelectric/Peltier) from Target for $199. I had to return the 1st one for damage. If you get one of these, make sure you inspect it because though they work well, the door hinges are weak.

My experience:
I wiped the inside down with soapy water and the plastic smell was gone within a day. I opted to buy some empty cigar boxes from the B&M rather than buying a bunch of cedar to line it with. The boxes work just as well as a buffer for humidity swings...actually I think it may be even better. I bought the boxes for $2-4 and made sure I got ones that were actually made of cedar...I even got an Opus box. I ordered a pound of 65 Viper beads and put them in a shallow glass plate to maximize surface area. I used 2 of the original wire shelves that came with the unit and may replace them with 2 cedar shelves someday but they work fine. I did not add any fans and don't really believe I need them. I open the door at least once a week...sometimes everyday.
wineodor.jpg

The problem I encountered was the condensation produced by the unit when it runs. The water runs down the back of the unit to channels and a drain hole out the back. After time, it would drip onto the carpet from the back and pool at the bottom of the inside of the cooler. My solution which has seemed to work outstanding for the last month or so has been this: I plugged the drain hole with a cork and put some beads in the channel to absorb any stray moisture. I re-routed the flow of condensation run-off directly into the bead tray using some vinyl tape and a 3 ring binder divider. My cooler is now almost maintenance free. The moisture constantly recycles itself into the beads so I almost never mess with my beads and never have to wipe up condensation. Here are the pics:
corkchannel.jpg

Condensationchannel2.jpg

Condensationchannel.jpg

So for under $300, I have a low maintenance, climate controlled cigar storage that still emanates the cedar smell. I wish I would have done this in the first place. I am very pleased with it. My humi was getting too small any how. :rolleyes:

The climate:
The temp readout on the front is inaccurate. About 5 degrees off...no big deal. I have a few hygros inside and my findings are thus: I set the unit to 62 degrees and it stays 66/66 at the bottom. In the middle it hangs around 68 temp and 63 humidity. The top hangs around 70 degrees and 61 humidity. I can actually move my cigars around to the humidity that suits them the best. This unit does not need a timer as it doesn't overcool...I can set it to 66 and it will actually stay at 73 degrees. The humidity drops (up to 5%) when the unit is running but with the cigars inside the boxes, they are unaffected. I try not to set it too cold because the unit would run all the time consequently lowering the humidity quite a bit. The high 60's seem to be it's equilibrium for the time being. When the winter comes, I will lower it more to keep it closer to 60 degrees. The cigars are smoking perfectly I might add. :thumbs:
Wineodor-1.jpg

UPDATED PHOTO:
VINOFeb08.jpg

Final thoughts:
Anyone living in a warm environment and thinking about getting a thermoelectric unit...DO IT! You won't regret it.

Edit to add a detail

You wont be disapointed! Couldnt be happier with my decison to go to a wine cooler either.

That looks great! My only concern is that half the people I read who go this route get at least one defective unit when they first get it shipped to them. I like the final picture though.....looks like you'll need another one soon!

That looks great! My only concern is that half the people I read who go this route get at least one defective unit when they first get it shipped to them. I like the final picture though.....looks like you'll need another one soon!

Well I physically went to Target and picked it up and inspected it in the parking lot. As for room, a few of those boxes are 1/2 empty and I know I can squeeze a couple more in there. I figure I can squeeze at least 50 to 100 more sticks in there...muah-hah-hah! Just waiting for the right opportunities.

Absolutely awesome! Great pictures/great wine-o-dor!!! :thumbs:

Nice setup I my self live in the south (Houston) my humi it is at 67RH and 72-73, I was thinking about getting one also. I just dont want it to dry my smokes out, I am worried but am thinking about it. Thanks for the pics. it loook great!!! :thumbs:

Nice setup I my self live in the south (Houston) my humi it is at 67RH and 72-73, I was thinking about getting one also. I just dont want it to dry my smokes out, I am worried but am thinking about it. Thanks for the pics. it loook great!!! :thumbs:

Don't worry about it drying them out-I might worry a little if they were out of the boxes but mine are boxed and smoking awesome. I had to let my setup reach equilibrium. Now that it is all saturated, I may at times have to take my beads out and dry them to keep them from being too wet. When the unit is off, the humidity climbs to 67 or 68. It all balances out in the end. If your temp is only 72-73, the unit won't run too often and won't pose a problem. I say pull the trigger. I wish I would have done it earlier. Much more peace of mind IMO. I think I mentioned that the cigars on the top are dryer than the bottom but many people like their smokes at 61or 62%. The bottom smokes are always at least 65%.

Mike,

I was actually about to shoot you a PM and see how the bead set up was working out. Looks like all is going well with that set up.

I am loving mine as well, it is the perfect set up for sunny Florida. Still holding 63f/65RH but I re stoke the beads about every ten days. I may use the condensation to water the beads, but I am thinking about a tray with a screen bottom so once they are saturated they will drain out the bottom.

One thing is for sure I am filling up the dead air space with some great cigars.

Also for you guys thinking about a cooler, I would definitely say take Mikes advice and inspect the cooler you are buying. I had one smashed one delivered and returned two damaged Vinotemps to target. So my fourth cooler is the one I am using. The are fra-geel-AAAA!

See ya

Mike

but I re stoke the beads about every ten days. I may use the condensation to water the beads, but I am thinking about a tray with a screen bottom so once they are saturated they will drain out the bottom.

That is a good thought...Wilkey had brought concern that the constant moisture to the beads may promote mold. At this point...a month later, there has been no mold. I have been rotating the plate a 1/4 turn every few days to even out the wetness but there does come a point maybe every 2 weeks where the beads are almost soaked. I am not too worried though, as the cooler months come, the unit will barely run, hence giving off no condensation. My method seems to be working out for now. How's your setup working for you?

It has been working great. I did make a few adjustments to keep the condensation in check. I ended up removing the spanish cedar floor and reworking the drain tube that was blocked with the foam insulation from the factory. I drilled through the drain hole and straight through the bottom of the cabinet, then epoxied a plastic drain tube(pen body) in place to allow it to flow freely out, no pooling anymore. It was just kind of seeping out and pooling before, which allowed some water to contact the cedar floor. Now that is a non issue.

Other than that , now that the cooler is about 75% full and my singles trays are full it keeps real steady in both temp and RH. I think the fans really help keep everything uniform between top and bottom. I have them run 30 mins on then 90 mins off, that seems about perfect to keep everything stable. sure beats 2K for a cooled unit, maby not as pretty but works great.

Nice setup! Looks like you can get a decent number of boxes in there too. Well done. I'd certainly consider this if high temperature was a problem.

Wilkey

That's a great setup. I'm thinking about going this route if I can talk my wife into it.

Glad to see you got it up and running. I've loved my fridge since I got it. Mine barely runs, but it sure is nice to not have to worry about the temp.

Having said all that, I'm just about finished with the basement room. always 60-65 degrees down there. That's where the cigars are moving.

NICE!

"A warm climate" let me clarify and say we were at 109 today with 8% humidity. The peltier cooled box is the only way to go out here. A regular refrigerator has a cold surface that freezes the H2O in the air and causes a mass of ice and will suck the life out of your sticks while this type "cools" the air and causes condensation that can be reused. Great job and thanks for showing. Also for other AZ east valley dewellers we have a Cigar Warehouse being built at Lindsay and Baseline, I am not sure if this is a chain or a one off.

Les

Also for other AZ east valley dewellers we have a Cigar Warehouse being built at Lindsay and Baseline, I am not sure if this is a chain or a one off.

Les

Les, The Cigar Warhouse is open as of this past Saturday...they are the same as TNT cigars (online) and a branch of Atlantic Cigars out of New York. Atlantic and co have great online deals but here in AZ if we order online we take it up the rear in taxes. Their selection is ok but they have a lot of unused square footage IMO.

4th of July...after the fireworks at 10pm....it is still 102 degrees here....and my cigars are resting safely at home at 66 degrees. Thank you Vinotemp. :rolleyes:

Looking to do a wine-o-dor myself.. I have to ask. You say the thing is 5 degrees off on the temperature gauge on the unit.. then you mention setting it at 66 and having it sit at 73. That's 7 degrees off. Which is it?

That being said, it looks very nice. I was looking for a unit I wouldn't have to have a separate temperature sensor for. My gars are sitting too hot in this TX heat..

Looking to do a wine-o-dor myself.. I have to ask. You say the thing is 5 degrees off on the temperature gauge on the unit.. then you mention setting it at 66 and having it sit at 73. That's 7 degrees off. Which is it?

Well, I'm saying approximately here. Where I normally keep it at is 5 off but the higher or lower it is set will affect the difference. It doesn't matter though. Every unit will vary a little and you just set it to where your hygro reads where you want it.

That being said, it looks very nice. I was looking for a unit I wouldn't have to have a separate temperature sensor for. My gars are sitting too hot in this TX heat..

You shouldn't need a separate temp unit...your regular hygrometer should have a temp readout. If not, it never hurts to have a second one at 15 or 20 bucks.

Well, I'm saying approximately here. Where I normally keep it at is 5 off but the higher or lower it is set will affect the difference. It doesn't matter though. Every unit will vary a little and you just set it to where your hygro reads where you want it.

You shouldn't need a separate temp unit...your regular hygrometer should have a temp readout. If not, it never hurts to have a second one at 15 or 20 bucks.

Urp. I meant a temp probe with a power cutoff.. like some have had to use.

Thanks for the info. My cigars are sitting hot right now (80).. even though the Tstat is set a hair above 70 .. :(