• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Mold on my cigars, help me troubleshoot problem

BKSinAZ

Wonderining why cigars in my 50 stick prometheus humidor have mold. What could be the cause and how to I stop? Is there a cleaning procedure for the humidor?
Humidifier reads 77% @ 78 degrees

Your humidity is way too high. Temperature too. Why the second thread?

Are you shore it is not plume and not mold? Upload some pics.

Your humidity is way too high. Temperature too. Why the second thread?

Why the second thread...? I was told in the other thread to go troubleshoot issue, so I came to the humidor formum. :)

I will attempt to upload some pics, but from what I've read so far... plume is rare.. very rare. This appears to be mold. It is about 16th of inch thick (high) and has a very slight green color to it.
It is also on many of the cigars, so I highly doubt plume.

Ok... so I have a problem with mold.., what do I do to the humidor now? Also, can I smoke the cigars with mold providing I wipe them off?

As I said in your other thread...do you wipe mold off bread and then eat it?

Wipe the humidor down with some bleach water and start all over again...in a cooler place with about 65-70 humidity.

If it is green, I wouldn't smoke it. If white mold, clean it off and it should be okay.

Do you use distilled water, tap water, spring water or gel jar with solution? As far as cleaning our humidor, Wipe it down with a dry towel, keep it open to dry out a start over.

Wipe the humidor down with some bleach water and start all over again...in a cooler place with about 65-70 humidity.

Ok... bleach and water in a humidor can be trouble if done wrong, so can I have some specifics? How strong (ratio) should the bleach water be? I can use bleach and Distilled water, right?
Do I let the humidor air out afterwards and if so that means I will have to reseason? Thanks in advance.

If it is green, I wouldn't smoke it. If white mold, clean it off and it should be okay.

Do you use distilled water, tap water, spring water or gel jar with solution? As far as cleaning our humidor, Wipe it down with a dry towel, keep it open to dry out a start over.

I've used HF beads and only used distilled water.. even when I seasoned the box upon purchase, I've only used distilled water. Chief is recommending I wipe box down with bleach water, what is your opinion on bleach water?

Ok... bleach and water in a humidor can be trouble if done wrong, so can I have some specifics? How strong (ratio) should the bleach water be? I can use bleach and Distilled water, right?
Do I let the humidor air out afterwards and if so that means I will have to reseason? Thanks in advance.

I've used HF beads and only used distilled water.. even when I seasoned the box upon purchase, I've only used distilled water. Chief is recommending I wipe box down with bleach water, what is your opinion on bleach water?

Very light on the bleach wouldn't hurt, but you will need to really air it out before you re season the humidor. Aso, GET RID OF YOUR BEADS!!!!! Get a gel jar Called "Ciguardian" and Ciguardian solution. It has an anti fungal solution and gel with a mold inhibitor. Great product. If you can't find it, pm me.

What a newb. :laugh: Perhaps you should refrain from giving advice until you have some idea of what you're talking about.

Doc

I would avoid the bleach suggestion. Do a gentle sanding of the interior with a very fine grit sandpaper and use that Tucson sun to dry it out thoroughly.

Isopropyl Alcohol instead of bleach. 50/50 mixture with distilled water, followed by what MMM said.

About 10 years ago when we were in high school my wife made me toast and eggs. 3 slices out of 4 and I noticed on the last one was covered with mold on the bottom. The entire loaf was the same. She fed me moldy toast. :angry: She has not made breakfast since or any other food for that matter. I do the cooking...

So I throw the moldy ones out due to horrific memories :laugh:

About 10 years ago when we were in high school my wife made me toast and eggs. 3 slices out of 4 and I noticed on the last one was covered with mold on the bottom. The entire loaf was the same. She fed me moldy toast. :angry: She has not made breakfast since or any other food for that matter. I do the cooking...

So I throw the moldy ones out due to horrific memories :laugh:
I wish my wife had that excuse for not making me breakfast :laugh: