• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Mold or Plume?

calstogy

I recently received a "special" of ten cigars from one of the well known vendors. At least one of the ten cigars has a splotch of white on the end that appears to be mold. I wrote to the vendor and they were sympathetic to an extent:

The only color mold would be on a cigar is green. If it is green, I'd be happy to setup a return for you.

It seems that mold can also be white.

Link - Background material on white mold

I would like to hear the learned opinion of others - Is this mold or Plume?. Here is photo I took of the cigar. I don't have a telephoto lens, so the photo is not as good as it could be. With a hand held magnifying glass, it looks like little white threads:

mold_or_bloom.jpg

Thanks - Rick

Wow I would think that is Mold I am no expert but man I would not wanna take my chances rp

Definitely Mold

This is Plume;

plume.gif

bloom.gif

You see plume my dear chap, is powdery and very easy to remove, similar to dust or that powdered sugar commoners oh-so-dearly enjoy on their ringed pastries.
Mold on the other hand, is fuzzy, spotty, and can be green or white.

You sir, have mold. If the retailer still fails to offer a replacement or refund, I strongly suggest you cease further patronage.
If the cigar is to be kept, inspect all and quarantine the foul cigars away from the true.
If the mold is still minimal, brush off the mold and be sure to smoke the ailing cigars post-haste.

That cigar you have there still appears acceptable for a fine morning smoke, perhaps while improving ones play at the golf course.

Good day to you sir.

Definitely mold. Plume is a crystal form. Yours has the hairs you mentioned, plus you can see the tiny spores forming on the end of the hairs.
The most common form of mold I see on cigars is white. Although, I have seen green mold as well.

I thought the picture was very nice BTW.

I had the mold on one of my H. Upmann Tubos. A spot about the size of a BB. I just brushed it off and fired it up on the spot, as they said,don't put it with others, just smoke it. You should be fine. Check out the CDC website if you have any further issues. :sign:

I am no expert on plume but I have seen alot of mold, in my day and that looks like mold to me.
Hopefully they make it right.
Have a nice weekend.

The problem with that particular cigar is that the mold is on the foot. So there's no way of telling if the mold has crept up into the cigar. Opinions vary on the smokability of a cigar with a little mold on the wrapper, but with it on the foot like that, I would not smoke it.

If the vendor refuses a refund, not only would I stop dealing with them, I would out them as well.

A sepecific vendor that I have had mold experiences with has said the same thing. I am thinking that it may be due to the humidity changes during the journey of the trip. I have not seen extensive mold from the particular vendor that I have experience with. If their humidor was the issue I think it would be much more widespread and the sticks would be affected much more.

Just my .02 though. I may be wrong.

I may be wrong (it's happened many times), but I don't think plume usually forms on the foot. Given that (if I'm correct) and the appearance, you definitely have mold.

In my experience, plume is not usually as visible as it is in the above pictures. It has to catch reflections to be seen unless the plume is very well developed. That's when it takes on the appearance of powdered sugar.

I would certainly ask for a refund/replacement if a cigar was in that condition upon arrival. This vendor's representative is obviously ill informed. That is not unusual.

What jfields said.
Sorry K, but tomthirtysix is right. Even if cleaned by Adrian Monk himself one should not smoke that cigar.

It's really not clear to me what everyone else thinks, but just so there is no confusion, that looks like mold. :0

It's really not clear to me what everyone else thinks, but just so there is no confusion, that looks like mold. :0

At the risk of adding to a thread posed with a question answered a myriad of times before, and a question already satisfactorily answered by 14 other capable Brethren of the Leaf, I shall have to say:

It's plume. These other answers are bumpkiss!! :laugh: :laugh:

[quote name='tomthirtysix' post='724486' date='Sep 12 2008, 02:59 PM'][quote name='one sock & Souldog24ca both said it at the same time, it's true' post='724438' date='Sep 12 2008, 04:07 PM']tomthirtysix is right, and hes a classy fellow[/quote]

Forget about all the plume / mold responses. These guys are obviously head and shoulders above the rest of the class, especially Jonathan.
[/quote]

Thank you Tommy for such a sweet comment!! :sign: :sign: :sign:

Is that cigar from the south?

It looks like there's a peanut in the warpper.
It's to the left of the mold.