• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Montecristo "Open"

DirtyDave

Newbie Dirtball
So, I was surfing the web a little bit and I stumbled across these an one of the online vendors I check out. There were a couple different ones that caught my eye. There was the Montecristo Open Eagle, Open Junior, and Open Master. I was wondering if anyone had tried these or if anyone has more info about them. I did notice that they come in boxes of 20 and that to my knowledge they haven't been released yet (possibly a fall release).

Anyway, I'm a fan of all things Monte so I'll probably have to give these a try when I can get some.

Thanks.

That vendor just got them last week so I'm not sure anyone has tried one yet.

They've been available at a couple of vendors for a week or so. I can't remember seeing any positive reviews of the new line...most seem to think they fall somewhere inbetween bad and terrible.

I've loved every Monte I've tried so I hope they aren't terrible. I'm definitely curious about them. I'll write a review if I end up getting some, gotta save for vacation though so it will probably be a while. I'll just have to stick with my #2's for now. ;)

They've been available at a couple of vendors for a week or so. I can't remember seeing any positive reviews of the new line...most seem to think they fall somewhere inbetween bad and terrible.

Saw these available and did some reading. The opinions I read may have been worse than Mike's assessment.

I was just reading about them in today's issue of Cigar Insider. Although Suckling didn't have anything great to say about them (a few months back), the entire line's scores averaged 89.8. Not bad!

Here's the info from the issue:

MONTE_OPEN.jpg

FIRST LOOK: NEW MONTECRISTO OPEN FROM CUBA
A MUCH ANTICIPATED NEW VERSION OF CUBA’S BIGGEST CIGAR BRAND
HAS JUST HIT THE GLOBAL MARKET—AND WE REVIEWED THE ENTIRE LINE.
The Montecristo Open line has just reached cigar stores. Distributor Habanos S.A. (which gave a
preview taste of the cigars to a select group of international smokers at this year’s Habanos
Festival back in February) says the new brand is geared towards connoisseurs, as well
as “the new generations who enjoy the pleasures of life outdoors.” Montecristo Open
distinguishes itself from the original Montecristo with a secondary green band that
reads “Open.” It comes in four sizes, two of which (The Eagle and Regata) have never
before appeared in the Habanos portfolio. For the tasting of the line, see page four.

MONTECRISTO OPEN
NEW RELEASE—VERTICAL BRAND TASTING
Maker: N/A
Distributor: Habanos S.A.
Filler: Cuba
Binder: Cuba
Wrapper: Cuba
Box Date: March 2009

REGATA
91 Points - 5 3/8" x 46 - £11.40 - Humidor Selection
A slender torpedo with a light wrapper and even draw.
This is a gutsy smoke laden with black pepper, leather and
a cocoa bean sweetness to complement its strength.
Body: Medium to Full

EAGLE
90 Points - 5 7/8" x 54 - £18.40
A handsome, thick toro with near perfect construction.
The draw is a bit firm, but offers full-bodied notes of
coffee bean, tobacco and earth.
Body: Full

JUNIOR
89 Points - 4 3/8" x 38 - £7.90
This oily little corona has a veiny, tawny-colored wrapper
and draws very evenly. It imparts a chewy, earthy smoke
with coffee notes and a floral finish.
Body: Medium

MASTER
89 Points - 4 7/8" x 50 - £14.10
Very well rolled with a tan, yet richly hued cover leaf.
It burns unevenly, but is full of coffee bean flavor, some
woody notes and some acidity.
Body: Medium

MONTECRISTO OPEN
BRAND SUMMARY: Although the new Montecristo Open is
marketed as being lighter than the original blend, we found it
medium to full bodied, with the two stronger sizes being the most
flavorful. The Regata scored 91 points and is a petit torpedo shape
made especially for this line. The Eagle, which scored 90 points, is
also a unique size. Our samples were factory coded MOA.
Average Rating: 89.8 points

Sorry if there's errors in this post, I copy/pasted from a PDF.

In Holland some people say they made the Open line for the US market (after the embargo).

Rene

I'd be interested in trying these once they make it to my B&M. I could be waiting a while though.

Although Suckling didn't have anything great to say about them (a few months back), the entire line's scores averaged 89.8.

A review that low from CA equates to a 70-75 elsewhere.

Thanks for the info everyone. I'll give it a try (eventually) and see what I think. Being a new line it could be interesting what age does for these, time will tell.

I am really dying to try there and the new Trinidads. Thanks for making my mouth water!

I was at the Hunters and Frankau launch of the Open Monte's last night in London.

The general consensus was that they weren't all that great and needed some serious ageing.

We were given each one except the mighty Eagle. I thought it best to smoke a Sublime I had on my person and keep the Open's in the humidor for some time.

The champagne, mojito's and Cuban band were all great though!

Huh, even the band looks different or in this case bands. The color is more toward wine and the lines appear more bold. The second band is green :0

Monteopeneagle.jpg

Look what I just had gifted to me. With the comments above I am almost .........I said almost afraid to fire it up. I wonder if I should let it sit awhile.

Here's what I got from the H&F party. Just missing that Eagle above!

DSC02513.jpg

DSC02514.jpg