• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Most expensive dog rocket you ever smoked?

I'll have to hop in also on the secretos... 1 in 5 smokes well the other 4 makes me want to kill something cute and furry (lets says a white rabbit lol)

jfields said:
A supposed 80's Davidoff Chateau Margeaux that I bought from a sale here back in 07 or 08. About $100.00 and tasted like shit! ALL OF THEM DID! :)

Dunhill Mojitos from same said sale...... :rolleyes:

The Black Cloud said:
I know everyone's tastes are different, but I'm curious to hear about high dollar sticks that didn't live up to their price.

I'll admit up front, my selfish motive is so I can be sure to avoid them. I just had (started anyway) a Cohiba Extra Vigaroso XV 660 bought from a local B&M on my way home from the game. Just thought it looked cool and smelled different and it was setup next to the Cohiba Black which I enjoyed.

Everything about it was atrocious. Tight draw, uneven burn, and tasted like an ammonia sammich. Couldn't even make it through the first 1/3 before tossing it. Paid 15.99 and :angry: still pissed off.
Keep in mind that you never really know the exact RH and temp of the humi you're buying out of, and it seems most B&M's will keep their walk-ins way over humidified.  So if you smoke it right after you bought it you may encounter such problems with the cigar.  I usually keep my new purchases in my humi until next time so they have a while to acclimate.

That being said, the high priced Fuentes I've had don't do much for me.  They aren't dog rockets, of course, just too mild for my preference.  I'll take a 8-5-8 Flor Fina over a GOF any day.

Good point on the RH of B&M shops.  That's actually why I was buying in a B&M in the first place. I've gotten some good sticks recently online and in newbie trade, but I thought I should rest them before trying. I'd purchased a La Gloria Cubana from the same shop last month and smoked it same day - Fantastic. 

I happened to ask the attendant about the RH this time because the LGC felt spongy. He said 72, so I passed on the LGC and picked the Cohiba XV instead.

After tossing the garbage Cohiba, I smoked a $4 Padron Panatela bought at same time - very enjoyable smoke and four times cheaper than the Cohiba.  

How long do you guys rest cigars you've purchased online or which have gone through shipping?

ntxsage said:

I know everyone's tastes are different, but I'm curious to hear about high dollar sticks that didn't live up to their price.

I'll admit up front, my selfish motive is so I can be sure to avoid them. I just had (started anyway) a Cohiba Extra Vigaroso XV 660 bought from a local B&M on my way home from the game. Just thought it looked cool and smelled different and it was setup next to the Cohiba Black which I enjoyed.

Everything about it was atrocious. Tight draw, uneven burn, and tasted like an ammonia sammich. Couldn't even make it through the first 1/3 before tossing it. Paid 15.99 and :angry: still pissed off.
Keep in mind that you never really know the exact RH and temp of the humi you're buying out of, and it seems most B&M's will keep their walk-ins way over humidified.  So if you smoke it right after you bought it you may encounter such problems with the cigar.  I usually keep my new purchases in my humi until next time so they have a while to acclimate.

That being said, the high priced Fuentes I've had don't do much for me.  They aren't dog rockets, of course, just too mild for my preference.  I'll take a 8-5-8 Flor Fina over a GOF any day.

...stuff... I smoked a $4 Padron Panatela bought at same time ... more stuff...

Reported.

It's common knowledge that this cigar does not exist.  Therefore, we do not speak of it.

Ever.

Please refer all questions to Doc...

:p

Agreed.  There are no Coronas either.  Watch your step ntxsage!

ntxsage said:

Good point on the RH of B&M shops.  That's actually why I was buying in a B&M in the first place. I've gotten some good sticks recently online and in newbie trade, but I thought I should rest them before trying. I'd purchased a La Gloria Cubana from the same shop last month and smoked it same day - Fantastic. 

I happened to ask the attendant about the RH this time because the LGC felt spongy. He said 72, so I passed on the LGC and picked the Cohiba XV instead.

After tossing the garbage Cohiba, I smoked a $4 Padron Panatela bought at same time - very enjoyable smoke and four times cheaper than the Cohiba.  

How long do you guys rest cigars you've purchased online or which have gone through shipping?

There you go.  As far as I'm concerned, when it comes to price and value it's very hard to beat Padron.

I've heard guys say they'll keep their new purchases in their humis for a week or two before smoking.  Me, I smoke pretty infrequently so if I buy a stick I might not get to it for months or even years, lol!

The last Litto Gomez small batch was pretty expensive, and very underwhelming.

O, what kind of bs is this?! "No bash threads" I was told.

Racist.

I have not seen anyone bashing. They are sharing their experiences.

I agree with the Opus crowd as well.

DePasta said:
A supposed 80's Davidoff Chateau Margeaux that I bought from a sale here back in 07 or 08. About $100.00 and tasted like shit! ALL OF THEM DID! :)

Dunhill Mojitos from same said sale...... :rolleyes:

I said it once and I'll say it again. Both of those weren't that good when they were fresh...a year later or a year after that. ;)  Never understood all the hoopla when they were bandied about here on that sale.
                        ================================================================================
Dare I admit I bought some pre-embargo sticks at a Christie's auction one time that were awful. It was a 4 cigar lot of H Upmann coronas/petit cornonas (not sure), unbanded, from  cab with all their authentication papers. I broke them out for my brother and I to smoke one afternoon. I did the whole cutting and lighting ritual with huge expectations while telling my brother the story behind them. We each took a few puffs and were immediately silenced in our comments. I was really trying to like it as I was fumbling for words to say about it's taste. "It tastes like, uh...uh...uh." Until my brother Joe turns to me and says, "I don't know about you Gar, but this thing tastes like 'musty basement' to me." He hit the nail on the head! It TASTED like what an old, damp, musty basement SMELLED like. God awful and I won't even tell you guys what I paid for them. :laugh:

....and I totally agree with the Secretos. I have never smoked one that was even palatable.

But honestly, I can't even count the number of expensive, crappy cigars I have smoked over the years...way too many to remember. The more it happens to you, the more savvy you get when someone comes along and says they have a great deal on 'XXXX' kind of cigars, "but they are really expensive." Run. 

Alec Bradley presensado (sp?) 2012 cigar of the year....tasted like a bag of dried leaves and grass...horrible draw...couldn't finish it.

Rob_k said:
Alec Bradley presensado (sp?) 2012 cigar of the year....tasted like a bag of dried leaves and grass...horrible draw...couldn't finish it.
Hmm, 

I've had a handful of them and thought they were very good. They're just a bit too strong for my taste though. 

Jason

Backslide said:
Hmm, 

I've had a handful of them and thought they were very good. They're just a bit too strong for my taste though. 

Jason
Guess that is what makes cigars such and interesting thing....we all have different tastes. Glad you liked the ones you have had....I love the Tempus series from them....that is an outstanding stick imho.

Rob_k said:
I've smoked two of these, and in each one I got very brief, but very vivid, tastes of dog poo.  I mean, I had to look over the balcony to see if maybe my kid was walking our dog on the street below the house and I was catching some wafting fumes up my way.  There was no mistaking it.  Not saying that in itself made it a bad cigar on the whole, but it was certainly interesting.

Gurrzt said:
Diamond Crown and Ashton immediately come to mind.

Interesting.  I've enjoyed the DC Maximus in the past, but I haven't had one in quite some time.  I have one in the humidor I'll have to revisit soon.  As far as Ashton goes, most of their lines underwhelm me, but I find the Heritage Puro Sol and the VSG are consistently excellent. One man's special occasion stick is another man's dog rocket.

x72 on Gurkha.  Even if you get them for pennies on the Devil's Site, they're still dramatically overpriced for the rancid flavors they produce.

If I never smoke another Gurkha it will be too soon.