• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Most expensive dog rocket you ever smoked?

ntxsage

I know everyone's tastes are different, but I'm curious to hear about high dollar sticks that didn't live up to their price.

I'll admit up front, my selfish motive is so I can be sure to avoid them. I just had (started anyway) a Cohiba Extra Vigaroso XV 660 bought from a local B&M on my way home from the game. Just thought it looked cool and smelled different and it was setup next to the Cohiba Black which I enjoyed.

Everything about it was atrocious. Tight draw, uneven burn, and tasted like an ammonia sammich. Couldn't even make it through the first 1/3 before tossing it. Paid 15.99 and :angry: still pissed off.

I'd have to throw my hat in the ring to say the Opus X Lost City line. I can't recall the price point, but those things SUCKED, and I'm a huge Opus fan. Still annoyed that I forked that much over for it.

souldog said:
I'd have to throw my hat in the ring to say the Opus X Lost City line. I can't recall the price point, but those things SUCKED, and I'm a huge Opus fan. Still annoyed that I forked that much over for it.

Please don't tell me that! I bought the lost city sampler off cigar bid a while back thinking I got a great deal. Lesson learned.

souldog said:
Savage

I smoked a God of Fire Don Carlos 2005 Tubo that was just terrible.  I don't know if storing it long term in the tube ruined it but it was just bitter bitter bitter and the worst $22 I've ever spent in Cigars.

I have had a horrible Cohiba Behike 56 and at $45 a stick, let's just say I was more than disappointed. Since then I've had another and it wasn't complete garbage. That just goes to show you, quality control matters especially in those top dollar sticks. If it was a bad Padron 2000, I wouldn't have given two shits!

Biggest let down for me recently was a Liga Privada Ratzilla, first one I've had but tasted like an ashtray all the way through. Will try another but definitely won't be hunting any.

A supposed 80's Davidoff Chateau Margeaux that I bought from a sale here back in 07 or 08. About $100.00 and tasted like shit! ALL OF THEM DID! :)

$11 for a Camacho Coyolar Puro Titan, it tasted like ass rubbed in mud, almost made me puke, only got through half of it.

@ Jason (Backslide) that FFOX you gifted me was tasty, strong but had great earth, wood, cinnamon, tobacco flavor.

C

ntxsage said:
I know everyone's tastes are different, but I'm curious to hear about high dollar sticks that didn't live up to their price.

I'll admit up front, my selfish motive is so I can be sure to avoid them. I just had (started anyway) a Cohiba Extra Vigaroso XV 660 bought from a local B&M on my way home from the game. Just thought it looked cool and smelled different and it was setup next to the Cohiba Black which I enjoyed.

Everything about it was atrocious. Tight draw, uneven burn, and tasted like an ammonia sammich. Couldn't even make it through the first 1/3 before tossing it. Paid 15.99 and :angry: still pissed off.
Keep in mind that you never really know the exact RH and temp of the humi you're buying out of, and it seems most B&M's will keep their walk-ins way over humidified.  So if you smoke it right after you bought it you may encounter such problems with the cigar.  I usually keep my new purchases in my humi until next time so they have a while to acclimate.

That being said, the high priced Fuentes I've had don't do much for me.  They aren't dog rockets, of course, just too mild for my preference.  I'll take a 8-5-8 Flor Fina over a GOF any day.

I find it interesting that both GOF and Lost City got mentioned . . . never had a bad one of either.  Never a less than stellar one, really.  Tastes vary, and so do humidors, I guess.

I've mentioned that execrable Gurkha cognac-infused tubo atrocity in other threads, but one I haven't mentioned that sits somewhere on the fence between "horrible dog rocket" and "just not to my taste" is the Winston Churchill line, which I believe Davidoff makes.  It's not that they're bad cigars---they're not---but they have this unusual mushroom sort of taste about them that I've never encountered in any other cigar, and don't particularly like . . . sometimes it's been a "hmmm, unusual" experience and a couple times it's been a "Gag! Burning mold!" one.

~Boar

The Black Cloud said:

Keep in mind that you never really know the exact RH and temp of the humi you're buying out of, and it seems most B&M's will keep their walk-ins way over humidified.  So if you smoke it right after you bought it you may encounter such problems with the cigar.  I usually keep my new purchases in my humi until next time so they have a while to acclimate.

That being said, the high priced Fuentes I've had don't do much for me.  They aren't dog rockets, of course, just too mild for my preference.  I'll take a 8-5-8 Flor Fina over a GOF any day.

Speak of the devil, I am enjoying one of my all time favorites, a Fuente 858 natural.  
fuente858.jpg

***THIS IS NOT A DOG ROCKET***

Opus X Angel Share. I hope the other gets WAYYYY better with age or else I wasted my money. :(

Not A Nice Person said:
I find it interesting that both GOF and Lost City got mentioned . . . never had a bad one of either.  Never a less than stellar one, really.  Tastes vary, and so do humidors, I guess.

I've mentioned that execrable Gurkha cognac-infused tubo atrocity in other threads, but one I haven't mentioned that sits somewhere on the fence between "horrible dog rocket" and "just not to my taste" is the Winston Churchill line, which I believe Davidoff makes.  It's not that they're bad cigars---they're not---but they have this unusual mushroom sort of taste about them that I've never encountered in any other cigar, and don't particularly like . . . sometimes it's been a "hmmm, unusual" experience and a couple times it's been a "Gag! Burning mold!" one.

~Boar
I'm with you Boar, I like my Lost City and GOF smokes, but I don't care for the GOF Serie B they released, that's my most expensive yard gar to date. 
As for the Winston Churchill line, I love them! I went through all of my packs and that "mushroom" taste is something I like, just haven't gotten around to buying more because they're not easy on the wallet. 

Though not a dog rocket, by any means, the most disappointed I've ever been in a cigar was with a Cohiba Maduro 5 Secretos.  The cigar tasted incredible, but it was just a nigh impossible draw.  It literally gave me a headache, and no matter what I did I couldn't free it up.  I didn't get very far with that stick before I couldn't deal with it.  That box has about two years on it now in my humidor (don't remember the date on the box, off hand, but it's at least two years old) and each one gets better than the one smoked before it.

I'll second the Cohiba Maduro Secretos.  You could sort of tell that maybe it would be a decent cigar, but they were impossible to smoke.  Tight, plugged, whatever.  I tried everything imaginable to get a draw.  Nothing.  And I had a fiver.  Each cigar was the same bullshit.