• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Mr Peats ESG review...

Moki,

How's this for Ashton rep gouging their customers... The shop I bought my 2nd ESG at is owned by the local Ashton Rep...he sold the ESG for $45!!! Then, so many people complained that he lowered it to $30. That's bad!!! How can he do that to his own company's reputation...Fuggin' gouger!

-Fetter

If you mention that to the right people at Ashton, you probably would get satisfaction very quickly... because that's BS.

Well after reading Loren's review of the ESG I had to find out for my self!

It intially looked pretty good! Label was the best part. It did have some patches. Other then that looked pretty good. The initial light was good and it started burning very well! It was a little tight on the draw. The 1/3 was ok nothing to talk about the ash very white in color! The 2/3 was a little better. There was a little bit of spice but not much. The last part was the same it had an even burn a lot of smoke.

Bottom line I wouldn't pay $10.00 to $45.00 for an ESG. I would much rather smoke a VSG any time! But at least I know and maybe the 2nd one might be better but I don't think so. Just my $0.02. :)

mmmm - interesting, thanks for your opinion.

Does this stick perhaps need a little hibernation time? - Moki???

Brian

Well after reading Loren's review of the ESG I had to find out for my self!

It intially looked pretty good! Label was the best part. It did have some patches. Other then that looked pretty good. The initial light was good and it started burning very well! It was a little tight on the draw. The 1/3 was ok nothing to talk about the ash very white in color! The 2/3 was a little better. There was a little bit of spice but not much. The last part was the same it had an even burn a lot of smoke.

Bottom line I wouldn't pay $10.00 to $45.00 for an ESG. I would much rather smoke a VSG any time! But at least I know and maybe the 2nd one might be better but I don't think so. Just my $0.02. :)

mmmm - interesting, thanks for your opinion.

Does this stick perhaps need a little hibernation time? - Moki???

Nah, different people just have different tastes, and different expectations from a hyped up, expensive cigar. :)

...and in Mr. Peat's case, it sounds like he really did get a bum cigar. Unfortunate, but it happens.

...and in Mr. Peat's case, it sounds like he really did get a bum cigar. Unfortunate, but it happens.

Thanks to another BOTL who offered to help me attain a ESG and I never asked for any help to get them either. These two individuals offered. Anyways...I can clarify that the first ESG was a complete bust. It redefined the term dog rocket. So I was going to give the 2nd ESG away to some lucky BOTL and changed my mind. I had to see for myself if the first one was a complete bust.

Well, on the pretaste it didnt taste like musty wet grass/mold. Interesting so I am like cool. At least it cant be total a shit rocket. The cut was flawless and the burn wasnt bad. For the initial phase it wasnt bad. Damn...unlucky with the ESG burns I guess. I'm thinking these may need to be dry boxed for a few hours. Oh well...Just a thought.

Now how does the cigar taste? Much better than the first one thats for certain. It doesnt have the musty old grass taste to it. It does sorta resemble a VSG. I did get some spice taste off it but nothing that says WOW look at me. Burn is just so terrible it makes it hard to really enjoy this smoke. I've smoked every normal line of the Opus X and some rares..they burn better than this ESG. Just terrible. Probably one of the worst burning cigars in my 10 years of smoking. Other than that, its an ok smoke. But for the price, I dont see it living upto the expectations that one of that price should deliver for you. I'd gladly pay the normal price of a VSG for an ESG if the burn wasnt an issue.

So all it all...its an ok smoke. I still have to give is a huge negative score cuz of the burn issues but other than that, taste is much better than the dud one. :laugh: But it isnt a stick that goes Hey look at me and knock me off my feet. I'd give this stick a solid C for effort since the burn issue complete takes away from what the cigar could be like. :( If not for the bad burn, I'd give this smoke a B score so maybe 80 to 85 points.

Interesting. Did you let the cigar sit in your humidor for a while to let the humidity even out? I find that > 90% of burn issues are just uneven humidification.

Interesting. Did you let the cigar sit in your humidor for a while to let the humidity even out? I find that > 90% of burn issues are just uneven humidification.

Yeppers...I can pull out any cigar including my Opus and rarely have any burn problems. I did notice some nasty gaps once again in the ESG filler. Not as bad as the first one I had, but still there. Once it hit the band, it had only a couple of touch ups that I needed to do. :( And I have my Avallo system set for 68% humidity.

Well after reading the review of the first one you smoked, I was really concerned. I have waited, like everyone else, for these to release. I have been able to get a couple and was holding on to them for very special occasions (found out I was to become a grandfather).

So at least there is some hope. I think I will smoke one and see if this feel the 2nd is worth saving for a special occasion.

Thanks for the review.

Ken

Ashton or Fuente, those in charge of advertising had me frothing at the mouth for the ESG's. Moki, you are right about having expectations built up to the point of never being able to meet them.

Maybe I'm out of the loop, but all I saw was a couple print ads in cigar mags.
Seems to me the vast majority of hype was created by members of cigar forums. :)

Ashton or Fuente, those in charge of advertising had me frothing at the mouth for the ESG's. Moki, you are right about having expectations built up to the point of never being able to meet them.

Maybe I'm out of the loop, but all I saw was a couple print ads in cigar mags.
Seems to me the vast majority of hype was created by members of cigar forums. :)

WOW...Touche! My thoughts exactly...

But I still like them.

-Fetter

Just a little addition on my old ESG review. I have visited this smoke a total of 4 times now. The first 3 was a disappointment, but thanks to a generous BOTL, I got another one. I have to say this experience was so much better. It didn't have any gaps in the filler nor a bad burn either. It tasted pretty good but not at the price they sell for. I still wouldn't consider this a mind blowing experience but it does give me faith that other ESG's maybe better than I previously experience. I'd given this smoke a solid 85 out of 100 points. I can say this one definitely took me off guard in how this Churchill went to the other 3 Churchills I've smoked. :thumbs:

I didn't mind the few that I've had thus far. The problem, IMHO, with this cigar is that it's unimpressive...perhaps the ESG's will blossom into a classic after a few climate controlled years, but I don't believe I'll be stockpiling these going forward. They leave a lot to be desired at their current price point.

The problem, IMHO, with this cigar is that it's unimpressive...They leave a lot to be desired at their current price point.
x2

Good, but not $18 GREAT. Haven't tried the Robusto yet, though.