• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My First Islay Whisky

mc185

Today I decided I was going to go out and buy an Islay whisky and my first full bottle of scotch. Lit up a Don Carlos No. 4 on the way to the liquor store, this is just fine tabacco no extra special flavors but pure quality, a classic tasting cigar. I was going to spend about $40-$50 and the two Islay's at the top of my list were Ardbeg 10 and Lagavulin 16. The Lagavulin was a little out of my price range at $69.99 but decided to splurge a little and bought it. Anyway up to this point the closest I had to an Ialay was Tailsker 10 and I thought it was alright by the time I finished off the glass but wanted more peat.

Lagavulin 16
Nose: Iodine, a little smoke and peat
Taste: Peat, touch of smoke, sweetness from the sherry
Finish: Peat
Overall: I knew I wanted to try an Islay and Lagavulin is a classic. I wasn't to sure how the sherry would work with the peat and smoke but it turned out to be great.

This is going on the top shelf along with Pappy Van Winkle 20. It's different from anything I've had and I like it. Next purchase is probably going to be an Aberlour 15, I want a sherried whisky better than the Macallan 12 and the Macallan 18 is out of my price range. so I think it fits the bill. Also want a fruity(apple, pair), nutty, woody, peat, light spice kind of scotch something similar to the Glenlivet 12 but better, maybe Glenlivet 18?

Talk about jumping in with both feet! Not quite the same as my review of a few months ago but a good start. Hope you can continue with more as time goes on.

Talk about jumping in with both feet! Not quite the same as my review of a few months ago but a good start. Hope you can continue with more as time goes on.
It actually wasn't as extreme as I thought it might be, I think the Talisker and knowing what I was getting into before I had my first glass helped. If you were to hand someone a glass of this and all they knew was that it was scotch I don't think they would like it. It's hard for me to put it into words but its pretty much the same as what you got out of it. I'm sure I'll pick out the smaller things as I become more experinced. I'm trying to get a good variety of whisky first and then I'll come back to Islay's but for now this will do. I've also noticed that scotch is easier to drink than bourbon even at the same age.

Good choices. Lagavulin is my favorite and Arberlour 15 is right up there. You're on your way.