• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My smokes keep unraveling on me

Dan66

Anyone else have this problem?

I keep my coolidor between 65% and 70%. The smokes cut cleanly; light easily, and burn evenly - never go out. So they're not too dry or too wet. But so help me, it seems like everything I've enjoyed over the last few weeks starts coming un-wrapped about halfway through. Kinda like rose petals: one small leaf will come loose and I'll pull it free. Then next draw, another comes loose and sticks to my lips. Then another, then another. Makes the last 1/2 or 1/3 not so enjoyable to say the least. By the time I put it to bed, the end looks like a piece of frayed rope!

I'm tempted to wrap a piece of masking tape around the tip before I start smoking! (Yes - that was sarcastic.) Anybody have any tips or suggestions?

double check your humidity. your smoking conditions will also effect it. ive tried to smoke cigars in or near the hot tub, but i get half way through it before it comes apart.

Sounds like you are cutting the cigar too far down...ease up on the cut...just a bit'l do ya!

-Fetter

If it comes loose before my lips touch it, I put a little teeny, tiny drop of cooking oil on the spot where it came loose, and work it in (don't put a lot of pressure on the spot) with my finger. So far they have all stayed put ,even with me chewing on it. I also heard someone on a podcast using fruit pectin from the canning section of the grocery store, but haven't tried that yet.

I agree with Fetter, sounds to me like you're cutting it a bit too far down.

Make sure you're clipping right at where it starts to curve, no need to go any further.

I like to labotomize mine: Just slightly cut into the head, spin the cigar in the cutter to get a full circle cut, and flip the top off.

If it comes loose before my lips touch it, I put a little teeny, tiny drop of cooking oil on the spot where it came loose, and work it in (don't put a lot of pressure on the spot) with my finger. So far they have all stayed put ,even with me chewing on it. I also heard someone on a podcast using fruit pectin from the canning section of the grocery store, but haven't tried that yet.

Saw this the other day and marveled... Worked like a champ with no apparent taste difference...

When the cigar began unraveling, the guy pulled out a unflavored ChapStick tube and used that under the leaf. Stuck like glue - and he went on happily smoking the cigar. Swears he does it all the time with no ill effect or odd taste...

Like the others have said, don't cut it down so far. If you remove all of the flag/cap, there is not much left to hold it together.

Thanks for all the tips, guys. I sure don't think I've been cutting it too far down. I slice it right at the shoulder. There's still a bit of curve left after the cap is removed. But I can certainly cut less just as easily.

Love the oil and Chapstick tricks! I may try both.

Thanks once again!

You might want to read this thread by Ginsing. It could be as simple as you turned on the forced air heat and changed your smoking room's humidity levels. In other words, its not the cigar, but the air your smoking in. I have big problems here in Denver with average 25-35% humidity, keeping any of the delicate wrappers from going snap crackle pop within minutes of lighting.

http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showtopic=18429

i get this nice effect in the dry west texas wind :( i'll be sure to try the chap stick or oil method next time.

...It could be as simple as you turned on the forced air heat and changed your smoking room's humidity levels.
You just might have something there. Typically, I have my smokes out on the back porch in the evenings. And with as humid as Central Texas gets, they do just fine for 8 or 9 months out of the year. But there's been a chill in the air here lately, and I've moved into my garage and am using a small space heater. Excellent point...

I agree with Fetter, sounds to me like you're cutting it a bit too far down.

Make sure you're clipping right at where it starts to curve, no need to go any further.

I like to labotomize mine: Just slightly cut into the head, spin the cigar in the cutter to get a full circle cut, and flip the top off.

That's exactly how I cut mine and I don't have any unwrapping issues.

I've used fruit pectin on a few cigars and it has done the trick. However, I only use it on cigars that haven't been lit and after applying, I let them sit a week or two. The chapstick method that George mentioned is an interesting one. Fortunately I don't have this problem very often (except for a recent Tatuaje white label) but the next time I do, perhaps I'll give it a try.

Nobody mentioned this so I will!
Try using a V-cutter!
I used to have unwravelling issues until I switched to the circumsion cut with my Palio.

-Rob

I have been laying my cutter flat on a table then standing the cigar on end in the cutter and clipping it. For a newb like me that has been working great on the traditional shaped cigars. Another newb thing I have done is when I get a bit of unraveling I slide the band down to the end after the cigar has heated up a bit. The band keeps it together.

When the cigar began unraveling, the guy pulled out a unflavored ChapStick tube and used that under the leaf. Stuck like glue - and he went on happily smoking the cigar. Swears he does it all the time with no ill effect or odd taste...

Wow. Learn something new every day.

Wilkey