• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Name this cigar (Contest added)

theroberthogan

What is this fresh hell?
My mother-in-law was in Key West last week and brought me home a cigar for my birthday. I've posted a picture below, but have no idea what it is. The way she tells the story, she stopped in this shop called Dena's and asked for a good cigar, not the usual dog-rockets they push on the tourists, but something an experienced smoker who likes full-bodied cigars would enjoy. The clerk told her that this cigar is brought in by a Cuban man who is well known in the cigar industry, but my mother-in-law didn't find out the guy's name. The clerk then proceed to tell her how a man from New York City flies down to Key West every month to pick up some of these, and how another guy purchased one and then came back the same day and bought a box of them.

When I first got the stick the tobacco had no smell at all, but I figured it was just dried out since it had been out of humidification for a few days. I've had it resting in humidor by itself since Monday and it now smells like the tobacco is still fermenting. The stick is seven inches long and about 58 ring gauge. If anyone could shed any more light on this cigar I would appreciate it.

P1040418.jpg

Edit to add: THE CONTEST

At the suggestion of huaguc, I am making this a contest. This one will test the creativity of our membership. To enter, just post in this thread with a name and backstory for this cigar. The back story could be about how or why it was created, who created, where it was created, how it got to the shop in Key West or anything else that is funny and/or interesting as long as it is about this cigar. A couple ground rules:

1. Enter as many times as you like, but each entry post must contain a new and original story.
2. If you bash another person's story, all of your entries are disqualified.
3. This should go without saying, but no stories that are racist, derogatory, or intentionally hurtful.

Deadline for posting your story is 6:59PM on Thursday, October 22 (which is my birthday). I will read the stories while smoking the cigar and pick the most interesting and funny story to get a yet to be determined gift pack from my humidor.

So she said that a Cuban man brings them? From Cuba? If that's the case, I got these smokes that my mother's cousin's son's girlfriend's father stole from the El Laguito factory. LOL! Seriously though, it could just be a house blend for that particular store in Salomon size. It looks like the LFD, but we know it's not...based on the circumstances you mentioned.

It looks a lot like a turd.
Yeah, my guess too, a shop custom roll.

How about Keith? It's a nice name, and it's evocative of the cigar's origin in the Keys.

Sweet! Is this some sort of a contest. Uhmm.. my guess would be "The Stranger". I would sit on my hand until it goes numb before I smoke it.

Whatever it is, I hope you enjoy it!

How about Keith? It's a nice name, and it's evocative of the cigar's origin in the Keys.

Sweet! Is this some sort of a contest. Uhmm.. my guess would be "The Stranger". I would sit on my hand until it goes numb before I smoke it.

A contest...why didn't I think of that? I've edited the first post to include a contest.

Looks like the legendary Silky Solomone to me. This was rolled on the inner thigh of a Cuban virgin, adding to the mistique and rarity! Look at those oils glisten!

I'm sticking with "The Stranger" :sign: :sign:

Nice contest! :thumbs:

I believe that is the rare and often searched for "Monica Maduro". I've been told the ransom offered by the democratic party is astonishing. If you ship it to me I will personally hand deliver it to Harry Reid. I think at that point you get put on a list for a large portion of government bailout money. You may have to resign as head of the Monica Maduro company but it will be worth the payout.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

PJ

I believe that it's a la Aurora Puro Vintage 2003...Doesn't sound all that special, huh? So why is it so dark, you ask? Well, because of how it's been stored for the past 200 years.

You see, it's actually from the future...from a time when a government has engaged in a type of genetic warfare that resulted in the destruction of all tobacco seeds. A dystopian future where smoking of tobacco has been completely abolished and all "T-users" have been persecuted by the government.

The "cuban" in question is actually a research assistant at an underground historical research center who stole the last precious samples of an age past and came back in time not only to evade prosecution and eventual neural cleansing but to attempt to subvert an irrational government stranglehold before we've willingly given up all our liberties.

That cigar you have is a 200 year old sample of tobacco from 2003. Doesn't that blow your mind? Can you imagine what 200 year old tobacco tastes like? *whew* boy! Are you in for a treat! Well...that, or a real rocket that's lost all it's flavour. All I can tell you is that the last cigar I had from the future was a glass top Cohiba. Yep, they're still big on the black market. Strange thing is...kinda tasted like Soylent Green...

Excellent story I think Wolfie should win so far.

To me it slightly resembles the infamous Opus X Thingamajig. It was rolled by Arturo Fuente's famous but slightly disfigured neice, Genevive. She hales from the Dominican Republic but has been confined to the basement at the tobacco farm where she makes friends with the shadows of the workers and rachers seeping into her one windowed lair.

Her hands are riddled with worts and cuts so this magnificient stick is really just the keen collector to admire.

This is a 1 of 1 and can be referenced here... www.vitolas.net/opusxthingamajig

It's priceless and you should hold onto that one.

Once upon a time.............okay, 3 days ago............on a hectic October 13th a special release cigar called "The Drac" caused much commotion, confusion, anguish and happiness in the cigar smoking world. The cigar would end up being heralded as the stick that lifted Pete "13" Johanssen to new heights in the world of HTF cigars. People from across the world were willing to trade in Forbidden X's, rare Davidoffs, and even Cohiba Gran Reserva's to experience this worlderful smoking sensation from a little known cigar rolling factory in.............you guessed it, Samoa!
Now, watching all of this sensationalism and fame being bestowed upon the owner/blender were the big tobacco giants of the industry that started to feel..............what's that word............no, not convivial, not redolent.................oh yes, anxious!
Deep down in their hearts and deep pockets started a nervous twitch that erupted at an emergency board meeting with the words "silence the Drac at all costs!"
So the in house blenders and tasters started a massive and coordinated effort to develop a cigar to do battle with The Drac and ultimately, silence his reign once and for all.
For days on end they all worked, blended, rolled, and smoked their way until FINALLY.............The Stake was Born!

It had the color of night as they had to catch Drac whilst he was doing his nightly nicotine crushing of his victims, it had the strength of Broadleaf maduro to withstanding the frantic pounding of a Vector table lighter on its fat end, and most importantly, it was borne of the shape that put fear into any Drac lover..............a sharp wooden stake!

But, would it work? Could it withstand shipping across country in the back of a hot USPS truck without blooming with beetles, or even worse.............being lost like the Newbie Pass
tongue.gif

The tobacco giants decided to only allow it to be sold in one store in the Keys to make sure it would be carefully screened to anyone wanting to buy it. The worse thing was to entrust it to a Drac groupie knowing full well it would never be lit, but buried deep under the floors of a wigwam shaped motel room.

Only one person so far has passed the watchful eyes of the cigar shop owner and he is currently holding the only known picture of THE STAKE. Or is he?

Stay tuned folks as we keep you abreast of this power struggle between good and evil, dark versus light, and supply versus demand.

Chapter 2 to follow after I get another cup of coffee.

I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine and he shall be my Squishy. Come on, Squishy. Come on, little Squishy.

~Boar

...now that I take a closer look, it kinda reminds me of some plain ol' carrot that accidentally found it's way into a cold smoker for a few days. No telling know how it ended up there. I'm sure there's a rational explanation for it, though. Probably some kid who didn't want to eat his veggies or possibly the result of one of those nights when you decided to take a walk down a moonlit path, suddenly find yourself caught in a bright beam of light from overhead and wake up to find it's three days later, your bed is full of cheese balls and red popcorn kernels and it's slightly uncomfortable to walk. I hate when that happens, mostly because I don't understand where the popcorn kernels came from, let alone the red ones. The cheese balls are a given, of course. I love cheese, fake or otherwise.

What was I saying? Eh...Either way, I'll bet Ol' Smokey the Alien Carrot would make one heck of an addition to a bowl of chili.

What? Could it be? Say it isn't...a prop from one of the next Harry Potter movies? I think it may be! The Stick That Must Not Be Named...which pretty much stinks for a "Name this Cigar" contest. I don't want to post too many spoilers but as I recall, it was Voldemort's first Wand/Cigar...wandgar? Everybody always thought it was the phoenix feather or the incantations that were responsible for the smoking, but in the 17th book it was revealed that it wasn't full of phoenix feather but a privately grown, small batch goblin tobacco...