• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

NASCAR #1 Sport?

stogieman

" Herf King "
Well, I'm headin' down to Daytona International Speedway in about an hour for tonight's running off the Pepsi 400. Dale Earnhartdt Jr. lead every lap last night from start to finish in the Winn Dixie 250 Busch race and my monies on him tonight again. :thumbs:

Now, let's get back to the question, is NASCAR the #1 sport in the USA now? According to the poles, it's still #2 to the NFL but catching up quickly. Don't take me wrong, I love the NFL, but I'm devoted NASCAR fan. :D They have the longest season which starts in February and goes to the end of November. Tell me what other sport lasts that long. Baseball is the second closest to long seasons. :0

What is also cool about going to a NASCAR race is that they let you bring in your own beers. Tell what other sport lets you do that. Lastly, to top that off, if you go in the infield to watch the race, you can BBQ the whole time, (a never ending tale gate party) drink a lot of beer and smoke CEEGARS to bout'. :p :thumbs: :D

I'm sorry. Did you call nascar a SPORT????
Buuuuuuwahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Ahem. Do the cars exercise to stay in shape? When's the draft for those young, up and coming, cars? Are there banned substances that the cars are not allowed to use??? They are freaking CARS, brother, it is NOT a sport. An event maybe, but certainly not an athletic competition.
Redneck.
LMAO

NA

Stogieman,

It sounds like you enjoy the NASCAR event more than the actual "sport". For all the reasons you listed, I WISH I liked NASCAR. But, the fact of the matter is that I just plain don't get it. It's so unexciting to me. However, if you enjoy it then have a ball. Don't let some jerk discourage you.

SamClemmons said:
Did you call nascar a SPORT????
Do the cars exercise to stay in shape? When's the draft for those young, up and coming, cars? Are there banned substances that the cars are not allowed to use???
Sorry Sam, I don't agree with your definition of sport. I would lean more towards:

Recreational or competitive activities that involve a degree of physical strength or skill.

I for one love to hunt, fish, and play horseshoes...... all considered a sport. :thumbs:

While I'm not a devoted NASCAR fan I do occasionally flip on a race and watch a few laps. I was in the infield of Daytona in 79 when Cale Yarborough and Donnie Allison who were battling it out for the lead tangled on the last lap and crashed into turn 3 outside wall and slid down onto the lower apron. Richard Petty, AJ Foyt, and Darrell Waltrip were about a half lap back with Petty reaching the checkered flag first. Yarborough and Allison ended up in a fist fight on the track in turn 3 with Donnie's brother Bobby Allison jumping into the fight. It was quite a show.... :)

Hey Stogie, whats a ticket to the infield going for these days? I want to say it cost us $35 a head in 79.

I gotta say I'm with bigdan on this one. I'd rather watch a haircut but if that's what twists your twinkie than go for it. But then I like golf and a lot of people say the same thing about that. If you get it you get it and if you don't you don't.

Maybe we should have a forum defining a sport. I don't know about Nascar. Hey to each his own I guess. As to it having a long season, that's one of the things I don't like about baseball. A season takes FOREVER.

There is a reason the NFL is no. 1. It's just plain better!

Allofus123 said:
SamClemmons said:
Did you call nascar a SPORT???? 
Do the cars exercise to stay in shape? When's the draft for those young, up and coming, cars? Are there banned substances that the cars are not allowed to use???
Sorry Sam, I don't agree with your definition of sport. I would lean more towards:

Recreational or competitive activities that involve a degree of physical strength or skill.

I for one love to hunt, fish, and play horseshoes...... all considered a sport. :thumbs:

While I'm not a devoted NASCAR fan I do occasionally flip on a race and watch a few laps. I was in the infield of Daytona in 79 when Cale Yarborough and Donnie Allison who were battling it out for the lead tangled on the last lap and crashed into turn 3 outside wall and slid down onto the lower apron. Richard Petty, AJ Foyt, and Darrell Waltrip were about a half lap back with Petty reaching the checkered flag first. Yarborough and Allison ended up in a fist fight on the track in turn 3 with Donnie's brother Bobby Allison jumping into the fight. It was quite a show.... :)

Hey Stogie, whats a ticket to the infield going for these days? I want to say it cost us $35 a head in 79.
That exact finish mades ESPN's Top 10... Check it out, a great Top 10. In the Top 10 of Top 10's!

Emo

*drools* give me sweaty men, beating each other up on the football field, grunting, looking all mean and burning a hole in you with their intense gaze...

If you all will excuse me, I will be having my orgasm in the corner...

melly :sign:

I'm not big into watching any kind of sport anymore, baseball lost my heart and support after the last strike. I consider NASCAR races as nothing but many miles of left turns, but that is me.

Sports are like cigars, enjoy what you like. :thumbs:

Been a fan for 20 years! I am jealous of you my friend! Was a great race!!

Shadow said:
I'm not big into watching any kind of sport anymore, baseball lost my heart and support after the last strike. I consider NASCAR races as nothing but many miles of left turns, but that is me.

Sports are like cigars, enjoy what you like. :thumbs:
I know exactly where you are coming from. I started watching Baseball games for the first time in years at the end of last season. This year I have caught a couple on the TV, and have contemplated driving up and catching a game or 2.

Emo

Emo,

Let me tell you, its close to becoming an exciting time around here with the Marlins. I'm teaching summer school and the other day my students were actually talking baseball. I told them it was the first time in a long time that anyone had anything to say about the Marlins. If you're going to come up, make sure you get to see that Willis kid. He just might be worth the drive.

And Ivan 'Pudge' Rodriguez's laser arm throw out someone. Gawd the Rangers miss him.

Says something about NASCAR that a thread dedicated to the sport degenerates into a baseball discussion. LMAO....

(Sorry Stogie :) )

Not only does it degenerate into a baseball discussion, it's a Florida Marlins discussion, LOL. There hasn't been one of those in about 6 years.

OK,

Baseball is pretty cool. It does take skill and training.

Car Racing, hah! Watch my aunt drive a car, she would beat them all. (the exception is Formula 1, go Mike!)

Football? I 1/2 agree, the guys have to be in great shape to do what they do, but come on, I mean every 5 seconds you have to stop for another play. One guy steps off 1 sec. earlier, a guy is 1 in. past the line, a guy from the other team is holding the other's hand?

BOO.

How about soccer (football in Europe)? While it is not #1 in the U.S. now, it is everywhere else. And it is great fun. Rules all have a purpose, and you have guys that streak at 1/2 time, not to mention the riots afterwards and the fans devotion. When was the last time an audience member was killed after a game for racing?

Basketball and rugby are cool too.

I didn't say the other sports were any less interesting or you had to be in lesser shape. I just meant you have to have a good crew and be in half decent shape to run 400 to 500 miles at speeds exceeding 180. Any way, Joe was right, you guys are just jealous cause you couldn't be at the race especially the Pepsi 400 at Daytona. :p

Very, very true. Baseball will always be the American sport, although the NFL and NCAA Football have truly put a dent into that ranking.

I just hate that I missed the days when you could go to see a great baseball game and enjoy a great cigar at the ballpark.

ALostTexan