• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Need a new Scotch

The Storm isn't for me....not in the least
Don’t get me started on that taste profile...people can call it smoky all they want, it tastes like what the antiseptic smelled like in a doctor’s office they used between patients back in the day. Medicinal.

I’ve tried to drink it like the guys said...”it’s an acquired taste”...by drinking a bunch of them, just can’t do it. Bless you gentlemen that can! ?

I'm not usually a big peat fan, although sometimes I do get in the mood for something . . . . bracing. :oops:

Laphroaig Cask Strength, though, is pretty much everything every Laphroaig aspires to be IMHO. The Quarter Cask is much too medicinal for me & the Cairdeas, while intriguing, just didn't do it for me like the Cask Strength.

The very BEST Scotch I've ever had, hands down, was the Benriach Solstice 17, a peated port cask. Port casking as opposed to sherry casking really seemed to make the difference in taming the peat smoke, and the Benriach's gutsy flavor profile really just melds it all together perfectly.

Too bad I'll probably never see a bottle of it again. Limited edition. :confused:

~Boar

I'm not usually a big peat fan, although sometimes I do get in the mood for something . . . . bracing. :oops:

Laphroaig Cask Strength, though, is pretty much everything every Laphroaig aspires to be IMHO. The Quarter Cask is much too medicinal for me & the Cairdeas, while intriguing, just didn't do it for me like the Cask Strength.

The very BEST Scotch I've ever had, hands down, was the Benriach Solstice 17, a peated port cask. Port casking as opposed to sherry casking really seemed to make the difference in taming the peat smoke, and the Benriach's gutsy flavor profile really just melds it all together perfectly.

Too bad I'll probably never see a bottle of it again. Limited edition. :confused:

~Boar
cp.PNG

Anyone here try Glenlivet 21 ? I love the 18 but the 21 is out of my price range right now but was wondering if it is worth saving for?

Anyone here try Glenlivet 21 ? I love the 18 but the 21 is out of my price range right now but was wondering if it is worth saving for?

To me it depends on the price. It's a good pour and at the price point from 5 or so years ago of $129, I felt like it was a good buy. I even found it at a place in Albany, GA for $99. That was a deal! The price increase got pretty stupid recently though. I have seen it for $230 to as much as $300. If I was looking to spend up to $250 on a Speyside I'd probably look at Macallan 18 or Balvenie Portwood. Another single malt to consider is Highland Park 18.

Balvenie Portwood 21 is just exquisite. I'd go there first too. Glendronach Parliament 21 is about half that (or so) and is another amazing Scotch for the price.

~Boar

To me it depends on the price. It's a good pour and at the price point from 5 or so years ago of $129, I felt like it was a good buy. I even found it at a place in Albany, GA for $99. That was a deal! The price increase got pretty stupid recently though. I have seen it for $230 to as much as $300. If I was looking to spend up to $250 on a Speyside I'd probably look at Macallan 18 or Balvenie Portwood. Another single malt to consider is Highland Park 18.

I'll second the Macallan 18 recommendation! I got a bottle as a wedding gift and enjoyed it thoroughly!

Balvenie Doublewood's been my go-to for some time, but lately I've found it too cloyingly sweet to pair with my cigars. Today I picked up another Johnnie Walker Green (I still have a few fingers left from an old pre-discontinuation bottle) and Oban 14 on a whim. I'm really impressed by the Oban 14--it has a little bit of everything I was looking for.

Thanks for the discussion, gents!

Balvenie Doublewood's been my go-to for some time, but lately I've found it too cloyingly sweet to pair with my cigars. Today I picked up another Johnnie Walker Green (I still have a few fingers left from an old pre-discontinuation bottle) and Oban 14 on a whim. I'm really impressed by the Oban 14--it has a little bit of everything I was looking for.

Thanks for the discussion, gents!
I would love to know if the two Green Labels differ in taste.