• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Need Help Buying a Youth Shotgun..

redraider

Whoa Thats Cold
Hey guys,

I want to buy my nephew a shotgun for his birthday coming up. His dad and him are just now getting into shooting. Anyone have any ideas? I have researched through google but not alot comes up. I know a bunch of you guys are hunters. I am a golfer and shot a little in college but nothing much. I really have no idea where to start. I have pretty much decided on getting him a 20 guage, other than that I dont know. He is going to be 11 years old, and average size. I dont want to spend more than $400, and would be extremely happy spending less!!

Thanks guys
DE

Just get him your basic single shot 20 gauge...............Perfect for a beginner and not a lot of money for something he will grow out of quickly.

Read this!!

I'm sorry...did you say something? I was watching the shower scene!

whew.

The Mossberg 500 isn't bad and you can generally get a nice model well under your line.

You can pick up a Remington 870 in the youth size in many different flavors.

I always see them at my local Dick's Sporting Goods and Bass Pro. They will probably run about 300 bucks, maybe a little more, depending on where you find it. Walmart sells the full sized 870's for $277, last I checked.

If you go with a pump, i'd choose an 870 over a Mossberg 500, though both are more than adequate. The 870 has stronger internals, and is just better in over all quality, but the safety is behind the trigger on the trigger guard, whereas the Mossberg 500 is on top of the receiver.

If you'd rather avoid the pump route, check out the Stoeger side by sides and over/unders. They aren't the fanciest double barrels in the world, but they work great and feel pretty good. Their SxS is called the Uplander and it's a blast to shoot, they make it in all gauges. I'm not positive if they make a youth model though. Their O/U is called the Condor, they make it in 12 and 20 gauge, and I know for sure that they have a youth model.

Good luck! let us know what you go with.

You can pick up a Remington 870 in the youth size in many different flavors.

I always see them at my local Dick's Sporting Goods and Bass Pro. They will probably run about 300 bucks, maybe a little more, depending on where you find it. Walmart sells the full sized 870's for $277, last I checked.

If you go with a pump, i'd choose an 870 over a Mossberg 500, though both are more than adequate. The 870 has stronger internals, and is just better in over all quality, but the safety is behind the trigger on the trigger guard, whereas the Mossberg 500 is on top of the receiver.

If you'd rather avoid the pump route, check out the Stoeger side by sides and over/unders. They aren't the fanciest double barrels in the world, but they work great and feel pretty good. Their SxS is called the Uplander and it's a blast to shoot, they make it in all gauges. I'm not positive if they make a youth model though. Their O/U is called the Condor, they make it in 12 and 20 gauge, and I know for sure that they have a youth model.

Good luck! let us know what you go with.

+1 on the 870.

don't waste the $$ on a single shot.

Whatever you get him, it has to fit him or be modified to fit him. Take him somewhere the sales staff knows something about shotgun fit. You can't hit anything with a shotgun if it doesn't shoot where you point.

Doc.

Agree with above on the 870 generally a better gun the the Mossberg 500. However, the safety on the Mossberg is easier for a lefty since it is mounted on top of the receiver. A lefty has to reach under the trigger guard on an 870. Not a show stopper by any means but if you are planning on shooting birds or bunnies, a lefty can get a quicker shot with the Mossberg.

Definitely have him fit at a gun shop that knows what they are doing. Good luck

Thanks guys...I will definitely check out the Mossberg and 870 later today. I wonder if I could get a smaller stock for him for either one of these models..

Thanks again
DE

All of these suggestions are on point but Devil Doc hit the nail on the head. It won't matter what you get him if it doesn't fit him. I personally like Stoeger and what I will be getting my son in a few years. Just my .02 YMMV

Thanks guys...I will definitely check out the Mossberg and 870 later today. I wonder if I could get a smaller stock for him for either one of these models..

Thanks again
DE
You can get a competent shotgunsmith to shorten the stock to the proper length. Make sure the guy knows what he's doing. You can change the pitch of the gun if you just cut it any old way. Edited to add: the 870 is stocked to fit a fellow about 5'7" and 150 lbs.

Doc.

I will add another vote on the 870 youth model. That was my first shotgun, and it was great. Getting it to fit him will make the difference though. Doc gave very good advice there. If you do not have a good amount of experience working on guns then definately take the shotgun to a smith to work on, don't do it yourself.
B

Thanks again
DE

As I mentioned, they make youth models, which come with smaller stocks than the full sized ones.

Whether or not these stocks are too small, too big, just right, or need to be further cut or customized, is not for any of us to say. Get it sized up to the kid.

I will add another vote on the 870 youth model. That was my first shotgun, and it was great. Getting it to fit him will make the difference though. Doc gave very good advice there. If you do not have a good amount of experience working on guns then definately take the shotgun to a smith to work on, don't do it yourself.
B

Yes no doubt. There is no way I am working on it :laugh: I am not afraid to throw in the towel on things and pay for a professional to do it when I am in over my head :laugh:

If he is just getting into shooting or hunting, then I would go with a Remington 870. I have had mine since I was a kid, it has been through some rough stuff and still shoots great.

+1 to what everyone else said, the remington 870 and Mossberg 500 are both great guns. My first shotgun was a .410 and I loved it but I outgrew it quickly for a 20 gauge.

Check out Walmart as they usually carry those in youth models on the 870 and are right around $200 last time I checked. As for swapping the stock out its very easy to do. You could have a smith do it or you can do it yourself, if you go with the youth model you shouldn't need to though. I did mine on a few guns and its very easy, and this is comming from someone that has 2 left thumbs and is not handy in the slightest.
wink.gif

The .410 is not a beginners gun. It's an experts gun. Unfortunately, many parents put these into the hands of their children. It can be very expensive to shoot and it's max. load of 11/16 oz of shot is anemic at best. It's called an idiot stick for reason.

Doc.