• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Need help with cohiba box authenticity

connoiseur29

I was scrutinizing a cabinet of 25 supposed genuine siglo VI's, but I noticed something different from what I have usually seen. You can essentially draw a vertical line from the forehead to the chin, and the chin and forehead are in the same exact plane. The lady's nose on the slide lid was not shaped like a
/
/--- but more like a bisected parabola. The chin is not rounded at all and forms a perfect 90 degree angle.
Can anyone shed light on the subject? Is this a normal variant or is it just plain wrong? I have a very high index of suspicion here, but I would feel better with additional input.

Thanks.

What else makes you think they're fake? Surely not just this?

How does everything else look?

I have to admit, I don't know what a bisected parabola is, maybe some pictures would help.

JK

Yes... your going to have to post some pictures for this one.

I can't believe no one else has jumped on this yet.

Send me the whole thing, box, smokes, everything, and I'll give them a real close examination :sign:

Does it look like this? If so, I wouldn't worry. Also:

1) Do you trust your source?

2) Did you acquire this box first-hand?

3) Do you trust your source?

and last but not least...

4) Do you know and trust your source?

Cohibatop.jpg

Wilkey

PS. And it's not a lady's head. It is the silhouette of a Taino Indian, one of the indigenous inhabitants of Cuba whom Christopher Columbus encountered on his visit to Cuba. These were the people who introduced the civilized world to the smoking of tobacco.

It certainly doesn't look like that picture you posted. If you draw a straight line down from the hairline, you almost end up at the neck on this pic. On the box in question, a straight line would lead only to the chin and wouldn't pass through anything else.

? If this is the first time for a source, even if they were on the reputable list, wouldn't it be appropriate to be cautious?

I'll try and post some pics of representative images.

Also note, the silhouette on the box in question has a very close appearance and geometry as the golden silhouette on the COHIBA rectangular paper insert, which one would note is normally different from the silhouette on the sliding lid.

I don't know if this pic is good enough, but note the geometric descriptions I have given and then look at it and tell me what you think. I think the pic I am posting is possibly of a fake box that would be consistent with what I saw on the box in question

siglo6.jpg

IMHO.... and I am no expert on this subject, but just looking at the image on both boxes I can clearly see a difference.

Notice the image on Ginseng's box.... the neckline ends at the left side of the "H".

On connoiseur29's box..... the neckline of the image ends directly in the middle of the "H".

I don't know who has the more reliable source.... but in my opinion.... the images are clearly different.

connoiseur29 said:
I was scrutinizing a cabinet of 25 supposed genuine siglo VI's, but I noticed something different from what I have usually seen. You can essentially draw a vertical line from the forehead to the chin, and the chin and forehead are in the same exact plane. The lady's nose on the slide lid was not shaped like a
/
/--- but more like a bisected parabola. The chin is not rounded at all and forms a perfect 90 degree angle.
Can anyone shed light on the subject? Is this a normal variant or is it just plain wrong? I have a very high index of suspicion here, but I would feel better with additional input.

Thanks.
[snapback]255921[/snapback]​

connoiseur29 said:
It certainly doesn't look like that picture you posted. If you draw a straight line down from the hairline, you almost end up at the neck on this pic. On the box in question, a straight line would lead only to the chin and wouldn't pass through anything else.

? If this is the first time for a source, even if they were on the reputable list, wouldn't it be appropriate to be cautious?

I'll try and post some pics of representative images.

Also note, the silhouette on the box in question has a very close appearance and geometry as the golden silhouette on the COHIBA rectangular paper insert, which one would note is normally different from the silhouette on the sliding lid.

I don't know if this pic is good enough, but note the geometric descriptions I have given and then look at it and tell me what you think. I think the pic I am posting is possibly of a fake box that would be consistent with what I saw on the box in question

[snapback]256011[/snapback]​

Dude..... take it easy with the attempt at sounding highly educated..... that whole post could have been said like this:

Hey guys, check out this picture of a box I received from a supposed "reputable source".... check out the image on the lid..... do you think it's fake ? :sign:

I'm no expert but blind I'm not. How you say? F U G A Z Y :0

I see it clearly too. I took a look at 2 boxes i have here. I scanned both.
The first box is a Siglo III, came back from Cuba this spring, and is from a government source. I beleive it to be authentic. Box code ENH DIC04

Siglo III

The box below is a Siglo VI acquired from a CP trusted site in Spain, last month.
Box code: SVF JUN05

Siglo VI

There are minor inconsistancies, I have to take a closer look, however, the length appears correct. Here are the bands. The Band on top is the Siglo VI, and the Siglo III is on the bottom.

Bands

I do not see these as oversuspicious, Cohiba is notorious for inconsistancy. (see MRN pics). The color on the Siglo 6 is slightly lighter in orange, which is the other most noticable feature.

edited to resize due to a complaint

Sunward,

Please, please, please resize down your photos. 640 pixels wide is more than sufficient I think.

FWIW, my box is probably from your same source. The code is also SVF JUN05. The slide lid looks exactly like yours.

The two indian heads most definitely look different. Note the shape of the top of the ponytail.

As for my SLB, there are three indian heads in total.

The indian head on my cedar insert looks exactly like the one on my cover.

The indian head on the paper insert looks exactly like the one on your cover.

If you obtained the box from a trusted source, I would be cautious, but not overly concerned. It is not entirely out of the question that they stamp or emboss the different components of the boxes on a) different production lines, 2) at different printers, 3) using different dies from different generations.

But you haven't remarked on the cigars at all. Do they strike you as suspicious? Mine certainly don't.

Wilkey

why not email a FOG and get a more experienced opinion?

Now on to the cigars. When you compare the bands to a box of known authentic EMS marked cigars (which these are not) You notice one pronounced disparity.
That disparity is the degree of embossment and the gold shine. The embossment is slightly more defined and slightly shinier on the known authentics than the cigars from the box in question. If they are fake, they are quite good reproductions. So far, though, I am still heavily leaning to fake.

The source is new so trusted would be an inappropriate adjective. It was also newly added to this forum's list recently. Please provide more feedback. I don't want anyone, including the retailer, to be ripped off. The more minds we put together, the better service we will provide everyone.

I'm gonna say this before this thread gets out of hand.
DO NOT NAME THE SOURCE IN THIS FORUM.

Please send me a PM with the vendor you purchased these cigars from.

It is most likely you have a box of GENUINE Cohibas and they just have a different box stamp. There are so many ways to check Cohiba cigars for their authenticity and the box is not one of them.
Take a deep breath. Relax and will get to the bottom of this together, I promise ;)

I have purchased cigars from all but one vendor on the source page (multiple times) and have never had a problem. some have better prices and slower shipping or whatever but never a question about cigar authenticity. These vendors aren't just chosen because they sell cigars.

Where's moki when you need him :whistling: .

Rich

The ONLY way to determine a real of a fake, is to smoke it. Boxes, bands, etc. can all have variations.

pics that document what I have said exist. we all know about the forum and sources. It is between the source and his consumer and will stay that way. I just wanted to put out an APB and elicit help and increase awareness (on a pm basis)

connoiseur29 said:
pics that document what I have said exist. we all know about the forum and sources. It is between the source and his consumer and will stay that way. I just wanted to put out an APB and elicit help and increase awareness (on a pm basis)
[snapback]256429[/snapback]​

The only thing you have documented is that you have a box of Cohiba cigars.
I have yet to see one thing that points to you having Fakes.
Maybe you jumped the gun here?

As far as (on a PM basis) that's not what happened, you basically jumped on the "Fake bandwagon" and managed to let everyone know that the vendor you bought them from were one of four on the vendors page by saying " even if they were on the reputable list, wouldn't it be appropriate to be cautious?".

Since you haven't sent me a PM like I requested it stands to reason you don't believe there as fake as you once thought or someone else has already helped you.

We all have made mistakes here, some bigger than others. Next time post a picture of the cigars or send one to someone to check for you.

Were all here to share, smoke and look out for one another.

Good Luck.

Rich

Matt R said:
The ONLY way to determine a real of a fake, is to smoke it. Boxes, bands, etc. can all have variations.
[snapback]256401[/snapback]​

I completly agree but if you never smoked a Cohiba before you might not know what they taste like.
IMHO I don't think Cohiba that great of a cigar.
Rich

Ironworker said:
connoiseur29 said:
pics that document what I have said exist.  we all know about the forum and sources.  It is between the source and his consumer and will stay that way.  I just wanted to put out an APB and elicit help and increase awareness (on a pm basis)
[snapback]256429[/snapback]​

The only thing you have documented is that you have a box of Cohiba cigars.
I have yet to see one thing that points to you having Fakes.
Maybe you jumped the gun here?

As far as (on a PM basis) that's not what happened, you basically jumped on the "Fake bandwagon" and managed to let everyone know that the vendor you bought them from were one of four on the vendors page by saying " even if they were on the reputable list, wouldn't it be appropriate to be cautious?".

Since you haven't sent me a PM like I requested it stands to reason you don't believe there as fake as you once thought or someone else has already helped you.

We all have made mistakes here, some bigger than others. Next time post a picture of the cigars or send one to someone to check for you.

Were all here to share, smoke and look out for one another.

Good Luck.

Rich
[snapback]256668[/snapback]​

Good and sensible analysis. Thanks to the FOGs who stepped in.

Wilkey