• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

need help

gordo23

I recently (3 days ago) purchased a new humidor. I have followed all instructions in setting up the Hydrometer...it works fine. However, my humidor (when closed) is reading 94%. I have been talking to the cigar store and they told me that it needs to "breathe" so...I left it open for 12 hours, and then closed for 12 hours to take another reading...now it is down to 88%. Do I just continue this process until the unit is stable in the 65% range? I am using Propylene Glycol for the solution. Just 10 drops of it too....Have I left something out?

Any advice would be of great help. As of right now, I plan to continue to let it breathe during the day and then closing it at night and taking a reading in the morning.

Are my sticks going to be harmed any by being out of the humidor for a few days? I currently have them sealed in a ziplock bag.

thanks again.

Put your cigars in a tupperware container. Get Viper's beads. PG is a thing of the past.

Doc.

gordo23 said:
I recently (3 days ago) purchased a new humidor. I have followed all instructions in setting up the Hydrometer...it works fine. However, my humidor (when closed) is reading 94%. I have been talking to the cigar store and they told me that it needs to "breathe" so...I left it open for 12 hours, and then closed for 12 hours to take another reading...now it is down to 88%. Do I just continue this process until the unit is stable in the 65% range? I am using Propylene Glycol for the solution. Just 10 drops of it too....Have I left something out?

Any advice would be of great help. As of right now, I plan to continue to let it breathe during the day and then closing it at night and taking a reading in the morning.

Are my sticks going to be harmed any by being out of the humidor for a few days? I currently have them sealed in a ziplock bag.

thanks again.
[snapback]265808[/snapback]​

Something is seriously out of whack. How large is your humidor? In order for it to be reading a true 90%, it must feel quite damp in there. I've not been able to get readings of 90% even when I spilled an entire cupful of PG/water solution on the bottom of my small tupperdor.

I would leave it open for a day or two straight and then close it for a few hours then take a reading.

If you are going to take your sticks out of a humidifying environment, my advice is to wrap them well in aluminum foil and then put them in a ziploc (preferably freezer) bag. That will effectively prevent moisture loss.

Until you do switch to something like beads, just make sure you're using the required 50/50 PG/water mixture. I use this method and it's able to keep a 15-gallon tupperdor right around 68% all the time. The nice thing about the PG method is that it can compensate for large, temporary demands like putting in a new box of cigars. A splash of extra water is all it takes to stabilize things.

BTW, it doesn't sound like your shop keeper is giving you complete or completely useful advice.

Wilkey

what do you mean? what are they leaving out of their advice for this situation? what else should they have told me to do in order to fix this problem? they were very detailed in their instructions for how to set everything up...and since I have run into this problem they said, "this happens sometimes...here is how to fix it."

again, I am a newbie...what am I missing here?

***EDIT*** should I be putting distilled water + the PG solution? or just the PG solution. The humidor holds 65 sticks.

Devil Doc said:
Put your cigars in a tupperware container. Get Viper's beads. PG is a thing of the past.

Doc.
[snapback]265809[/snapback]​

Yes.

Agreed with the bead! :laugh:

Not only do they release RH to go up to 65% or 70%, depending on which you buy, they will also absorb extra RH to bring the level down to the desired RH.

Absolutely the best way to go... regardless if you use a desktop humi, tuppador, coolidor, or large cabinet humi.

Gordo,

I don't know what detailed instructions they gave you. And it's quite possible that they have had other customers report this situation. I'm just saying that it doesn't seem entirely right. I mean, think about it. The box, brand new, will naturally hold a fairly low level of humidity if sealed. If this were not the case, then dresser drawers and kitchen cabinets and such also should be holding 90% in their interiors.

For the humi to be holding this level, and even 88% after being open for 12 hours is almost impossible to conceive. Could it be your meter? Are you using an analog (dial type) meter or a digital unit? If it is really 90%, then if you leave a paper towel inside it for a few hours, it should feel noticeably "humid."

What is the solution you are using? Is it a PG/water blend? If so, it should be providing the proper humidity on its own. If it is pure PG, which is unlikely as most places sell ready-mixed, then the fact that you are at 90% indicates you have too much water.

Here is a link to a technical description of how silica gel works.

Here is a link form the JR Cigars site, Cigar University about breaking in humidors.

Wilkey

out of curiosity...what should my meter be reading if out in a medium sized room?

I'm thinking my meter is messed up...I am going to use my father's tonight to make sure.

so in other words...

what is the RH of a room of 68 deg F.

gordo23 said:
out of curiosity...what should my meter be reading if out in a medium sized room?

I'm thinking my meter is messed up...I am going to use my father's tonight to make sure.

so in other words...

what is the RH of a room of 68 deg F.
[snapback]265902[/snapback]​

It would be whatever a calibrated hygro would tell you it is - that's what they are for, measuring the RH. It's not something that would be constant just because of the temperature of a room.

If you're using an anolog one, it's very likely it's wrong - they are just not that reliable in general. Do a search for the 'salt test' to calibrate your hygro to see if it's reading what it should be. You can adjust based on the results (+/- whatever the deviation is everytime you look at it). Then go and get yourself a digital one, and be happy ;)

it has been confirmed...mine is dead. I placed my father's in it and it is reading completely different than mine. Not only that, but I have discovered that the humidor does not have a good seel. I will be returning mine tomorrow and upgrading quite a bit. I will also be purchasing a digital meter. Thanks for all of your help.

IMHO, I wouldn't waste your time with another humidor. I did this when I first started smoking cigars, and thought about getting a good humidor that had a nice seal on it. When I saw how much they cost, I realized how many cigars I could get with that money instead. So, I followed the advice of the board. Got a $8 tupperware, spent about $12 on beads from viper. Put all the extra money into cigars (and beer :whistling: ) and haven't looked back since. My hygrometer broke about 3 months ago as well, but since I have viper's beads, I never even replaced it. I plan on it, just not high on the priority list. It's easy to tell if they are around the right RH once you get used to how they look and feel. Also, by looking at the color of the beads, you know when to add more water or dry them out. But I digress.

Point is, if I were you, I'd suggest trying new cigars with your money and save the humidor for later. All you'll end up doing is spending a few months on this board and outgrow your expensive humidor and move to tupperdors/coolers anyways.

Either way, good luck. Hope your cigars get a nice home no matter what you do.

Happy holidays (and welcome to CP)

The humidor actually has a great seal on it...and since I bought it on sale-- i'm keeping it. I went and splurged on some cigars to try out over the next few months...to really get a taste of what I like...instead. The hydrometer is actually broken...so I have replaced it (digital is on order) and am using my father's to make sure the humidity is in check. Everything is going fine as of right now...

thanks for all of the advice.