• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

new cigars

Gator

should i remove the cellophane for long term storage? I searched, but found nothing...

should i remove the cellophane for long term storage? I searched, but found nothing...
It depends on if they are stored with others.........This was a hot debate recently.....If stored alone remove the cellophane......If it is cramed in with many other types and touching I would leave it on

Cello supposedly helps protect the wrapper from damage, but it is debated that it prevents the cigars from "marrying" with each other. I myself am just too lazy to remove the cello from a box of freshly bought cigars.

If for long term storage, I would keep the cello on. The wrapper will be protected from damage over the long term.

To Cello or Not to Cello?

You just made a big cigar purchase and rushed home to put your new sticks in the humidor. Now the age old question: do you or do you not take the cigars out of the cellophane before putting them away? This has plagued cigar collectors for years. From online forums to industry publications, the proper way to store cigars has been a topic of heated debate. For years I have experimented in storage concepts and have done extensive research on the subject. In all my experimentation, I have arrived at one truth when it comes to the cellophane debate: it is a matter of preference!

Leaving the Cellophane On:

Contrary to popular belief, humidity will reach your cigars when you leave the cello on. The plastic used by cigar manufacturers is permeable, enabling a certain level of moisture and air to circulate in and out of the protective cover. Otherwise, a micro-climate would be created inside the cellophane, and the cigars would be more susceptible to mold. Since humidity will reach your cigars with or without the cellophane, there are many reasons to leave it on.

Protection From Other Cigars: Tobacco gets its flavor and characteristics from oils that escape from the leaf and remain on the surface. The oils from the various tobacco leaves inside the cigar meld and marry with each other to create balance and give each blend a unique profile. Storing different brands without cellophane right next to one another can produce the same marrying effect on a much larger scale. The result is that over time, many of the various brands will start to change and take on one uniform taste.

Protection From You: The oils that form on each of your cigars are also at risk from over-handling. Every time you pick up a cigar and come into direct contact with the tobacco, the oils rub off on your skin. Once lost, these oils can take a great deal of time to replenish, and will affect the overall smoking experience when the time comes to enjoy your cigar.

Protection From the Elements: As you can see, cigars that have been removed from their cellophane are at higher of losing both flavor and aroma. However, aside from these changes, cellophane also protects against physical damage that can occur when moving your cigars from place to place or dropping them in your pocket as you head out for the night. After tobacco ferments, it becomes much less pliable, and it takes very little to tear or damage the delicate wrapper. Any damage changes the way a cigar burns, resulting in a dramatically altered taste.

Taking the Cellophane Off:

At this point, you are probably asking yourself, "Why would anyone ever want to take the cellophane off their cigars before storing them?" Well, the cellophane can actually inhibit the aging of your favorite smokes.

Aging: Once rolled, cigars complete their final fermentation in aging rooms, then are boxed and shipped to retail stores around the world. Next, the cigars begin the first of as many as three maturation periods that are characterized by the breaking down of tannins and the marrying of oils. During these stages, the cigar settles into a more refined taste. Depending on the tobacco used to make the cigar, this process can take as long as 50 years. However, if cigars are kept in cellophane, this process is slowed by as much as 60 percent. Additionally, after several years in cellophane, the emitting oils and by-products of the maturation can make the cellophane less breathable, and your cigars will be susceptible to mold.

Maintaining Steady Humidity: While cellophane is breathable, it is not ideal for maintaining the best possible climate for your cigars when they enter your humidor. Once a cigar levels out at a constant humidity, the tobacco absorbs and releases moisture in an effort to maintain equilibrium and consistency in your humidor. This can be more difficult with an added layer of cellophane encasing your sticks.

Tradition: Cellophane is relatively new to cigars, as it was first introduced by JC Newman (makers of Diamond Crown and Cuesta Rey) in the 1930’s. Prior to that time, only a small handful of cigars came in packaging, which ranged from foil to tissue paper. In fact, to this day, no hand-rolled premiums are imported from Cuba in protective cellophane.

Which method is right for you? In the end, it all depends on what type of cigar smoker you consider yourself to be. If you anticipate traveling and handling your cigars to some degree, then you should keep your cigars in cellophane. However, if you intend on aging a limited variety of brands for an extended period of time and want them at their best, it is smarter to remove the cellophane before storing them. Nevertheless, keep in mind that aging requires patience and organization because the cigars should not be over-handled and must be separated to avoid cross-marrying of the different blends in your collection.

This does not necessarily have to be a black and white issue. Many aficionados will buy a box of cigars and store half of them "naked" for aging, and keep the remainder in cellophane for added protection. Just keep in mind that regardless of your preference, each method has its advantages.

I could not have said it better.......and fully agree

It's all about personal preference.

I store my cigars without the cello on.
I find that they age better that way.

Marrying of flavors is another subject that there has been lots of debate.
I don't subscribe to the theory of "marrying of flavors", unless you put a flavored cigar in with regular cigars (very bad idea).

Cello on around here. It keeps the wrappers from getting beat up when the smokes get handled.

B.B.S.

I personally like the look of a pile of naked cigars when I open my humi and take it off for that reason. I don't handle them a lot so it works.

I call BS on that. Don't be so lazy. Use the search function and you'll find your answers.

Out of curiosity, I searched cellophane, and received 3 pages to peruse.

Definitely take it off!

Notice how the Padron higher end and other cigars such as Tatuaje don't use cello. It restricts air flow.

You may want to save a few cellos just in case you want to gift out a few sticks later.

Definitely take it off!

Notice how the Padron higher end and other cigars such as Tatuaje don't use cello. It restricts air flow.

You may want to save a few cellos just in case you want to gift out a few sticks later.
Where'd you hear that?

Wilkey

I used to remove the cello but have stopped awhile back. I still have a lot of naked opus laying around. :love:

I call BS on that. Don't be so lazy. Use the search function and you'll find your answers.

Gator-

See what happens when you make something public that should have remained private? People begin to focus on your threads. Since you've started 19 in the last week, I'm sure you'll begin to see more responses like Gonz's. I happen to agree with him. An apology would likely end this, but that is your decision.

Gator-

See what happens when you make something public that should have remained private? People begin to focus on your threads. Since you've started 19 in the last week, I'm sure you'll begin to see more responses like Gonz's. I happen to agree with him. An apology would likely end this, but that is your decision.
Wise words, Rob.

Hey, you're going to the HH on the 27th, right? Are you going to try and make it up for the Thursday before?

Wilkey

If your gonna smoke them relatively soon, cello off. It allows the cigar to adapt quicker to your humidor enviroment. If your gonna store em long term, cello on, helps keep those flavors in. If your a rough house with your smokes, cello on. haha.... It all depends on the cigar for instance, Anjeos. I may sound crazy. I open and inspect each one for mold, then remove the cedar and re-cello it. Before I just removed the cedar and the cello. I am not a big fan of cedar wrapping on my smokes. Hides em to much, and I can't tell if I have a beetle hole or mold.

Good luck

Definitely take it off!

Where'd you hear that?

Wilkey

My own personal experiments and experience over the last 6-7 years.

You ever wonder why some of the higher end smokes don't come in cello? Padron for instance cellos the Padron series but not the 1964 or 26 series.

Cellos have their purpose, they are great for cigars in transit and great when cigars are in a retail store being man handled.