• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New Humidor

Which door would you get ?

• Glass

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wood

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I would have to go with the glass in my opinion... Sometimes I just like to see things and with glass, you do not have to open it and disturb the humidity. :) But then again, I also like to open my humis just to take a wiff once in a while :p

tough call and very nice humi for the price btw.. i would make a chart, 4 squares:

on the top write PROS and CONS

on the left side write WOOD and GLASS

only you can decide Tommy :thumbs:

I would buy the wood, its more discreet, and blends into furniture.

if it helps, I just put an offer down for one with the wood door... ;) And I know Dave would go the price I offered as he said he would! :thumbs:

WOW...... never thought I would get as much of a response to this as I did... The consensus says to go with the wood door which is probably the way I will go. Many good points were brought up for each choice.

Hopefully I will place the order before Christmas (Merry Christmas to me :D )

I will post pics when I receive it a fill it......

Jim.... post some pics when you get yours.

Swissy said:
if it helps, I just put an offer down for one with the wood door... ;) And I know Dave would go the price I offered as he said he would! :thumbs:
[snapback]259350[/snapback]​
I put in an offer last week. He rejected my initial offer :( and countered with a firm $300.

Supposedly it will ship this week (Merry Christmas to me!)

Of course I know nothing about this, it is a gift from my wife and son :whistling:

Oh, wood door.

Well, I'd say this is a pretty auspicious occassion wouldn't you all? There are many of us here that have put in orders for this humidor (how many is it now?? 4 or 5 of us??). I say we do this. As soon as the humidors are treated and up to the appropriate RH% we all should post photos back here to show our beauties in all their glory.

What say all those of us who have bought this fine unit?

I had an email stating the same thing... the cabinet is shipping by the end of this week.

Woo hoo!!!

Commence with the Pee Pee dances!!!
:thumbs:
Darren ;)

OK guys..... thanks for all of your help. I placed an offer..... let's all keep our fingers crossed it is accepted.

I will be going with the wood doors..... It will keep it looking neater.... and the wife won't mind if I keep it in the living room.

I will definitley post pics as soon as I get it.... I will be using 65% beads from Heartfelt.....

Starting the pee pee dance

right there with ya Tommy!
I pulled the trigger with an offer a few days ago, and got word that mine already shipped!! I also bought the 2 day shipping, as truck to Alaska would take along time, with more chances of damage enroute... so I should have it tuesday!! It was more in shipping, but I got a nice gift early from my wife... :love:

WOOHOO!!

Also got the wood door, and will be using 65% beads...

Swissy said:
[snapback]261511[/snapback]​
Have you given thought to how you will put the beads in the cabinet? Several containers on different levels?, all in one container? what kind of conatiners are you going to use etc etc etc...

I am leaning toward using several smaller containers, on different levels. I have not decided what kind of containers though. 2lbs of beads is a pretty good volume.

Cheekie, I had one in the same design. Nice to look at, but that is where it ended. Didn't hold nearly as many as the claimed. Also had alot of trouble holding RH. Granted, mine came from Thompson's, but just wanted to share that info with ya. Probably better off buying a small cooler.

Cheekie said:
http://froogle.google.com/froogle_cluster?...scoring=p&hl=en

this is one I liked

I too am looking for a humidor, nothing big for obvious reasons- I am at most maybe 150 ct
I have yet to find one that knocks my skirt up I have sketches of what I want it to look like- maybe getting one made.
[snapback]261585[/snapback]​

gandolf565 said:
Swissy said:
[snapback]261511[/snapback]​
Have you given thought to how you will put the beads in the cabinet? Several containers on different levels?, all in one container? what kind of conatiners are you going to use etc etc etc...

I am leaning toward using several smaller containers, on different levels. I have not decided what kind of containers though. 2lbs of beads is a pretty good volume.
[snapback]261565[/snapback]​

Hey Gandolf,
Yes- I have thought about it. In my cooler now, I have the beads split into two containers, sealed in (new) pantyhose that I cut the legs off and zip-tied the ends closed. That way if the container gets knocked over, no spillage. I have one up and one down, and will do the same in the new one. The containers are nothing oher than little plastic trays I got at a local 'everything' store like Walmart. I also am getting some of the bead bags Heartfelt sells to try them as well.

According to Viper, he calculates a little less than 2 pounds of beads will do nicely (I'm going 2 full pounds). I am thinking of splitting them into 6 containers- one for each level, and each side. Plus I am going to put a fan in the back to circulate the air, plugged into a timer so it will run every so often (haven't decided... every hour, twice a day, all night?)

With the fan I don't think I'll need to worry about beads on the singles shelf... but time will tell. I can always put one of my bead tubes in there if needed.

Adjustments to this plan will vary accoring to reality! :laugh:

This is why you want a glass door! :laugh:
DSC00653.jpg

Daaaammm...!! Storage capacity I can only wish I had...!! You guys all rock. Now you have to work hard to match Atuck's artful display of smokes....!!.... :laugh:

Got to do something here along those lines (and quit whining about it). Still haven't decided how I'm going to deal with the temp issues, but it's either a cooled cabinet or a new furnace / air conditioner / non-cooled cabinet. Not as much difference in price as I'd thought.... :whistling:

In any event, congrats to all the new owners, and the long term owners with great collections.... :thumbs:

Some comments;

Humidity - even with the beads, the humidity is sooooo dry in out house with the furnace on (no humidifier) that I've been putting the sponge humidifier, moistened with DI only, in my humi. As it's the one I get into on an at least daily basis, I've been fighting to keep it over 60% (runs 65-68% in the summer maintenance free). I'll bet those nice big cabinets will have the same issue, when the RH in your home drops but I'm sure it's nothing that can't be dealt with.

If I had a humi that size, I'd definately get a couple of small 12V fans in there in stratigic places and run them for a minute or two, every six hours. That feels about right. Of course, the way to tell would be to put hygros in several places around the cabinet and "compare notes" as time goes on. Just enough to keep things even would be the right answer, IHMO....

Congrats again, guys - B.B.S.

Swissy said:
Hey Gandolf,

According to Viper, he calculates a little less than 2 pounds of beads will do nicely (I'm going 2 full pounds). I am thinking of splitting them into 6 containers- one for each level, and each side. Plus I am going to put a fan in the back to circulate the air, plugged into a timer so it will run every so often (haven't decided... every hour, twice a day, all night?)

With the fan I don't think I'll need to worry about beads on the singles shelf... but time will tell. I can always put one of my bead tubes in there if needed.

Adjustments to this plan will vary accoring to reality! :laugh:
[snapback]261606[/snapback]​

Sounds like a plan. I will probably follow suit.

I am also looking into climate control for the humi also. A peltier device, with PWM modulation so I have proportional control. It should reduce the chance for moisture condensing on the heat sink by only using the amount of cooling needed, instead of being just On or Off.

I do not keep my house all that cool when it is not occupied, thus the necessity of a cooling system.

I have a few details to work out, but I think I can do it for a reasonable price.