• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New Humidor

Backslide

RASCClicious
Hey guys,
I just got my new and FIRST humidor in the mail today. I live in Colorado so it is really dry here. How long does it take for my humidor to stabilize at 70% rh?
it holds 75 gars and has a class top and a really good seal. Im really new at this and don't know very much.

Put a shot glass or two full of distilled water inside your new humi for a few days. That should do the trick. It doesn't take long. Also you may want to shoot for 65% Most cigars do better IMO at that rh. Enjoy!

You're welcome :) Oh and be sure to prepare your humidifier and get it in there too. Then check your hygrometer daily until it reads at least 65% You can then remove the shot glasses and start filling your humi with cigars.

I prefer to spray a mist of water on the wood inside the humi and/or wipe it down with a sponge.

I've used this trick on new humifors and ones that have not been used for quite a long period of time.

This was suggested to me and worked great. Took the humi and stuck in in a cooler along with a small glass of distilled water. Leave it shut for (think it was 5 days,dont mess with it), take it out and put the climaxx beads in it and see where its at. :thumbs: Worked great for me, even if it was a long five days ;)

I wiped mine down with a damp sponge. Just wet enough to change the color of the wood, but no wetness. Left it open until the wood went back to natural color (about 10 min) put in the humidier, and was set.

What I learned was that without at least a half full humidor, the humidity ran on the high side. 74-78. I now am holding dead 70 and won't add more water until it starts to drop. Defiently do the salt test.

The biggest problem new humi owners face is trusting the hydrometer and knowing if it's accurate.

Take a twist of pop bottle top, fill it with salt and add a few drops of water. Just so it's damp, not disolved. Put it in a small tuperware with your hydrometer for at least 12 hours. You should read 75%. That is what the the salt will put out.

Adjust your hydrometer if needed. It is best to then retest again. Once you know you are reading accurate, then you can trust what is happening in your humidor. If you can't adjust your gauge, then at least mentally you know where you are at.

jeff

Excellent short, brief description of the "salt test" snowdust!

There's a whole long involved explanation involving vapor pressure, etc. (I used to know at one time but I forgot all that long ago...) but that's the exact way to calibrate your hygrometer.

Sweet thanks guys. If it were only that easy to calibrate my simiconductor hygrometers at work like that.