• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

NewAir AWC-330E wine-adore build

If I may....

1. Do not use the temp control at all! You're room temp will be fine. Fluctuation in outside room temp will not effect the inside temp much at all. 90% of all issues with a wineadore have to do with temp control units being run. Unless you live in the deep south, don't do it. If you turn the heat off in your home when you go to work in the winter, and the house gets down to say 55°, the inside of the wineadore will not drop nearly that much. It will be fine. Likewise in the summer.

2. Get rid of 2 of the fans. Only 1 I necessary.

3. The more full it is the more stable your Rh will be. I assume if you have the illness, it will be full in no time. :)

4. If your cedar trays or shelves are not seasoned at your desired Rh, it will wreak havoc at first. There is A LOT of things fighting for control of the RH, shelves , air, beads, cigars, boxes. IT TAKES TIME at first.

5. With no fans running and it completely sealed put 1 pack of beads on each level. Top, middle and bottom along with the hygro. Let it sit for 24 hours. DO NOT FUCK WITH IT. Leave it sealed. If the RH is too low, add a wet sponge in a dish. Do no spray the beads. It's a slow process so it takes time. Remove the sponge after 6 hours. Let it sit another 24 hours and repeat until it's dialed in. Again, no fans running, all holes plugged and keep the door closed.

6. Don't over complicate it. It's a sealed box. Controlling the Rh should be simple. After you add your goodies, it may bounce around a bit. That's normal. Don't go trying to tweak it every time you see a low or high Rh. It will level out but takes time.

7. After its stable add your sticks.

8. Cigars are more resilient than we give them credit for. When you add them if they are not at the exact Rh of the box, it will cause spikes or dips. Don't worry about it. It will level out. They will be fine throughout the process of getting it dialed in.

I'm no expert but I have been down the road with several wineadores and this has been my experience.

--Travis

PS, you can find like new wine coolers on Craigslist for around $50. Because the refrig units go out all the time. Like I mentioned above, since the cooling system isn't necessary it makes a perfect wineadore. :)

TheGiver said:
If I may....

1. Do not use the temp control at all! You're room temp will be fine. Fluctuation in outside room temp will not effect the inside temp much at all. 90% of all issues with a wineadore have to do with temp control units being run. Unless you live in the deep south, don't do it. If you turn the heat off in your home when you go to work in the winter, and the house gets down to say 55°, the inside of the wineadore will not drop nearly that much. It will be fine. Likewise in the summer.

I tried leaving it unplugged yesterday and the temperature inside the wineadore shot up to 80º

I'll try that Thanks.

3. The more full it is the more stable your Rh will be. I assume if you have the illness, it will be full in no time. :)

4. If your cedar trays or shelves are not seasoned at your desired Rh, it will wreak havoc at first. There is A LOT of things fighting for control of the RH, shelves , air, beads, cigars, boxes. IT TAKES TIME at first.

I made sure I seasoned them befor I put them in. I only waited about three days before filling it. Maybe I should have waited longer?

5. With no fans running and it completely sealed put 1 pack of beads on each level. Top, middle and bottom along with the hygro. Let it sit for 24 hours. DO NOT FUCK WITH IT. Leave it sealed. If the RH is too low, add a wet sponge in a dish. Do no spray the beads. It's a slow process so it takes time. Remove the sponge after 6 hours. Let it sit another 24 hours and repeat until it's dialed in. Again, no fans running, all holes plugged and keep the door closed.

6. Don't over complicate it. It's a sealed box. Controlling the Rh should be simple. After you add your goodies, it may bounce around a bit. That's normal. Don't go trying to tweak it every time you see a low or high Rh. It will level out but takes time.

8. Cigars are more resilient than we give them credit for. When you add them if they are not at the exact Rh of the box, it will cause spikes or dips. Don't worry about it. It will level out. They will be fine throughout the process of getting it dialed in.

I'm no expert but I have been down the road with several wineadores and this has been my experience.

--Travis

PS, you can find like new wine coolers on Craigslist for around $50. Because the refrig units go out all the time. Like I mentioned above, since the cooling system isn't necessary it makes a perfect wineadore. :)

Thanks for the advice and help.

diapanos said:

If I may....

I tried leaving it unplugged yesterday and the temperature inside the wineadore shot up to 80º

I am not doubting you

I am no doubting you but think about that for a sec....does it make sense that the inside of a box would rise in temp to 80 deg for no reason? There has to be a very simple reason for that. Something has to be generating heat. It's not gonna do it by itself.
Be sure the internal light is not on. This should be activated by the door only.

I'll try that Thanks.

I made sure I seasoned them befor I put them in. I only waited about three days before filling it. Maybe I should have waited longer?

Put your trays and beads in the wineadore with nothing else. Let them sit for 24 hours. The following day, if it's below 65(or whatever your desired spec) then add the sponge on a dish. If it's too high, start the fan to circulate air, give it another day to see if it drops down. If it drops WAY down after you start the fan, dont worry about it. It's just air misdirected right on the hygro.

--Travis

No Problem

modo22 said:

Damn! What do you keep your house temp at? I have had mine unplugged since late November. It's been perfect at 66-68 degrees.
77º

Well that is definitely a factor when it comes to unplugging it.  I keep my place at 64-68.

Keeping your place at 77 degrees and it possibly being near a heat source or sun light; could very well lead to it getting up to 80 degrees when unplugged.

TheGiver said:

If I may....

I am not doubting you

I am no doubting you but think about that for a sec....does it make sense that the inside of a box would rise in temp to 80 deg for no reason? There has to be a very simple reason for that. Something has to be generating heat. It's not gonna do it by itself.
Be sure the internal light is not on. This should be activated by the door only.

I'll try that Thanks.

Put your trays and beads in the wineadore with nothing else. Let them sit for 24 hours. The following day, if it's below 65(or whatever your desired spec) then add the sponge on a dish. If it's too high, start the fan to circulate air, give it another day to see if it drops down. If it drops WAY down after you start the fan, dont worry about it. It's just air misdirected right on the hygro.

--Travis

No Problem

Thanks again.
Great advice.

modo22 said:

Damn! What do you keep your house temp at? I have had mine unplugged since late November. It's been perfect at 66-68 degrees.
77º

Well that is definitely a factor when it comes to unplugging it.  I keep my place at 64-68.

Keeping your place at 77 degrees and it possibly being near a heat source or sun light; could very well lead to it getting up to 80 degrees when unplugged.

i turned it down to 72. 
I had it up that high when the high temperature was below freezing for a week and I just never turned it back down..

The wineadore is closer to the vent than a wanted.
It was originally going to go in the computer room where the vent is closed all winter but I didn't feel like moving all the stuff I would have to move to get to an outlet and to make room for it.DSC00812 by thrynokrates, on Flickr

Whoa...77 deg? I missed that. 1. How can you stand it being that warm? :) 2. Your power bill must be huge. :0  3. yes...away from any vents, any windows, not up against your PC or anything that generates even the slightest amount of heat. Suggestions....corner of your room, inside your closet.

TheGiver said:
Whoa...77 deg? I missed that. 1. How can you stand it being that warm? :) 2. Your power bill must be huge. :0  3. yes...away from any vents, any windows, not up against your PC or anything that generates even the slightest amount of heat. Suggestions....corner of your room, inside your closet.
It was set to 77 last week.

It"s on 70 now.

I turned down to 72 a few days ago.

I set it to 77 when the high tempetature was below zero for a week.

It'll take me a while to move all the boxes but I'd like to put it in the computer room on the oposite
wall from the computer.
The vent in that room stays closed until I turn on the A/C and there's a fan
on in that room all day.

Awesome. Do that and I think things will mellow out for ya. Let us know how it goes! :)

Just got done moving my wineadore to the basement.

I'm still using the Johnson Control though I doubt it will kick the compressor on very often.
When I went back upstairs the temperature inside was 65F.
Humidity was at about 58%.

Added bonus I rearranged the shelves and was able to fit all of my cigars in there with space at the top for a couple 
more boxes if I ever buy any more.

Left the fans out.

diapanos said:
Just got done moving my coolerdore to the basement.

I'm still using the Johnson Control though I doubt it will kick the compressor on very often.

Added bonus I rearranged the shelves and was able to fit all of my cigars in there with space at the top for a couple 
Ain't no way your never going to buy more.

Pugman1943 said:

Just got done moving my coolerdore to the basement.

Ain't no way your never going to buy more.

I don't know.......
I've been enjoying my pipes a lot more than cigars lately.