• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Newbie Pass 101

great discussions going on here...

I concur with Mark, finding an exact match is nearly impossible. As well as the whole difference of 'cents'.

IMHO, I see nothing wrong with being within that $0.99 range. The dollar difference is worth the experience. . .

Here are my proposed p/t

T:(3) Opus X xXx Power Ranger
P:(28) Anejo 49

T:(24) Tatuaje Black Petite Lancero
P:(29) Tatuaje 7th Natural

T:(25) Tatuaje El Triunfador Lancero
P:(30) La Riqueza #3

I tried my absolute best to get this as close as possible, it was much harder than I thought it would be. The only one that I think may be an issue is the second p/t, (out of my own ignorance). The reason is because im not sure if the 2nd release means its regular production or not. If it is regular production I think it may be ok, if it is more rare it may be wrong.

I also have another question, is there going to be a side pot, for lack of better term, for Jake for putting this together? If there is I would like to contribute. I have seen in this on other passes and just wondering if this will exist here.

Let the debate ensue! :whistling:

I also have another question, is there going to be a side pot, for lack of better term, for Jake for putting this together? If there is I would like to contribute. I have seen in this on other passes and just wondering if this will exist here.

Let the debate ensue! :whistling:

This isn't necessary. Helping y'all get your feet wet is reward enough.

As far as the P/T's, I'll check them out tomorrow as soon as I get a chance....have an early morning meeting with some professionals (Let's just say...this Fat Texan won't be so fat in 9 months) :D

Fair enough... just asking. It seems like you put in a lot of work and I thought it would be nice to give back a little.

Here's what I was able to find:

T:(4) Opus X xXx Power Ranger ($10.25 - Vitolas) Damn it. I was hoping this would make it to me but I guess I should have known better.
P:(28) Anejo 49 ($10.50 - Vitolas)

T:(24) Tatuaje Black Petite Lancero ($7.66 - Average from Famous, Atlantic, & Smoke Inn)
P:(29) Tatuaje 7th Natural ($8.13 - Average from Famous, Atlantic, & Smoke Inn)

T:(25) Tatuaje El Triunfador Lancero ($7.76 - Average from Famous, Serious, & Tex Cigars)
P:(30) La Riqueza #3 ($7.83 - Average from Famous, Serious, & Smoke Inn)

One thing to note is that I think you meant T(4) instead of T(3) unless you really did want the Perfexcion xXx and not the Power Ranger, but based on your Put I think I've got it right. The other is I'm with Mark on this one and I'm not sure if T(24) is special because it's second release.

Back to the discussion we had yesterday, regarding my comparison of T(25)/P(30); what I was trying to ask last night is am I better off leaving the third vendors out of the average since they are not a common vendor for the comparison? I guess it really comes down to when and how you determine that having a common vendor is better than averaging prices.

Here is an example of what I was talking about last night. Famous has the El Triunfador for $8.12 and the La Riqueza at $7.84 which makes it look like an under put. Serious has the El Triunfador for $7.20 and the La Riqueza at $7.86 which makes it look like an over put. Now obviously when you average the two common vendors it comes out to be a $0.66 over put, but it easily could have been a $0.66 under put if the sources/cigars were different. Bringing in the third vendors, although they are not a common source for the cigars (Tex has the El Triunfador at $7.96 and Smoke Inn has the La Riqueza at $7.80) and adding them to the average shows the comparison to be much more favorable ($7.76 vs. $7.73 respectively yielding a $0.07 over put).

I agree in concept that comparing cigars based on a common vendor is the best policy when you're able to do so. However, I think the above example shows that it may not be as straightforward as being able to find one or two common vendors. I still think that it's probably more important to have as many data points as possible to make these comparisons, even if that means you may not use all common vendors.

I think I'll shut up now and leave it at that.

T:(4) Opus X xXx Power Ranger ($10.25 - Vitolas) Damn it. I was hoping this would make it to me but I guess I should have known better.

T:(24) Tatuaje Black Petite Lancero ($7.66 - Average from Famous, Atlantic, & Smoke Inn)

T:(25) Tatuaje El Triunfador Lancero ($7.76 - Average from Famous, Serious, & Tex Cigars)

One thing to note is that I think you meant T(4) instead of T(3) unless you really did want the Perfexcion xXx and not the Power Ranger, but based on your Put I think I've got it right. The other is I'm with Mark on this one and I'm not sure if T(24) is special because it's second release.

Back to the discussion we had yesterday, regarding my comparison of T(25)/P(30); what I was trying to ask last night is am I better off leaving the third vendors out of the average since they are not a common vendor for the comparison? I guess it really comes down to when and how you determine that having a common vendor is better than averaging prices.

Here is an example of what I was talking about last night. Famous has the El Triunfador for $8.12 and the La Riqueza at $7.84 which makes it look like an under put. Serious has the El Triunfador for $7.20 and the La Riqueza at $7.86 which makes it look like an over put. Now obviously when you average the two common vendors it comes out to be a $0.66 over put, but it easily could have been a $0.66 under put if the sources/cigars were different. Bringing in the third vendors, although they are not a common source for the cigars (Tex has the El Triunfador at $7.96 and Smoke Inn has the La Riqueza at $7.80) and adding them to the average shows the comparison to be much more favorable ($7.76 vs. $7.73 respectively yielding a $0.07 over put).

I agree in concept that comparing cigars based on a common vendor is the best policy when you're able to do so. However, I think the above example shows that it may not be as straightforward as being able to find one or two common vendors. I still think that it's probably more important to have as many data points as possible to make these comparisons, even if that means you may not use all common vendors.

My Brain hurts from all this math...LOL

LOL... I labored over this last night. As I said it was more difficult than I thought. I tried t get it as close as I possibly could. If there are changes that need to be made, of course i will make them. And I guess there is a double edged sword when it comes to your place in the pass. I think I may have wanted to be further in so I could see more of what was going to be put in, but I did get a opportuniy at the 3 I wanted.

Here's my question.....I see some taking box price and dividing by cigar count ex: $199. per box divided by 25 sticks = $7.96 per stick. I see others using average singles pricing. We should all be on the same page shouldn't we Jake? Which way should we be doing this?

Thanks

Here's my question.....I see some taking box price and dividing by cigar count ex: $199. per box divided by 25 sticks = $7.96 per stick. I see others using average singles pricing. We should all be on the same page shouldn't we Jake? Which way should we be doing this?

Thanks

This is from the first post concerning pricing.
To find the value of "common" cigars, you will need to average the box prices from the following vendors, and get the per stick average. If box prices are not available, you will need to use the singles pricing. These sources do not encompass every cigar on the market, so if you cannot find your cigars here, search for other REPUTABLE vendors and average their prices, noting which ones you chose (remember, this is a learning experience...in most passes the foot work to find values is solely on you).

We are asked to use the box price when we can.

Stan

LOL... I labored over this last night. As I said it was more difficult than I thought. I tried t get it as close as I possibly could. If there are changes that need to be made, of course i will make them. And I guess there is a double edged sword when it comes to your place in the pass. I think I may have wanted to be further in so I could see more of what was going to be put in, but I did get a opportuniy at the 3 I wanted.
From what I can tell I think you're good. The only question I had is the same one you had about the second release. The rest of my post is just a continuation of what we were talking about yesterday and wasn't meant to call into question your P/T's.

Stan
Taking it a step further, if there isn't box pricing we should be using fiver pricing and only use singles as a last resort. In the case of this pass, I think we'd be hard pressed to not be able to find at least fiver pricing somewhere.

I didn't take it as you questioning my p/t... Although you have right to.

Thanks

This is from the first post concerning pricing.
To find the value of "common" cigars, you will need to average the box prices from the following vendors, and get the per stick average. If box prices are not available, you will need to use the singles pricing. These sources do not encompass every cigar on the market, so if you cannot find your cigars here, search for other REPUTABLE vendors and average their prices, noting which ones you chose (remember, this is a learning experience...in most passes the foot work to find values is solely on you).

Stan
Sorry, somehow I missed that.

Damn mark, taking both tats, had my eyes on those from the beginning! :angry: :p lol

P/T's look good to me, I had actually penciled in the same P/T for the xXx as you have.

And guys, just throwing this out there...let's try to not make this more complicated then it should be. I realize I'm still in college, but even my head is starting to spin with all this math :0

But on a serious note, having all of this discussion is extremely beneficial. Learning a lot about what it takes to have a successful pass.

Mark, I know we had talked about possibly meeting up to exchange the pass, let me know if this is something you're still interested in. I've actually been having some vehicle issues lately that may make it a little tough, and with Thanksgiving creeping up I'm not sure what kinda time I'm gonna have, but hopefully we'll be able to work around this.

_craig_

I put 2 more tats back in at least... And I will let you know l have been having similar concerns as well. I would like to pass it off by hand if we can just to meet someone else on the forum

Edited for spelling

I didn't take it as you questioning my p/t... Although you have right to.
Ok good. I wasn't sure. That's the problem with this form of communication. :thumbs:

I agree

I put 2 more tats back in at least... And I will let you know l have been having similar concerns as well. I would like to pass it off by hand if we can just to meet someone else on the forum

I know man, just giving you a hard time haha

I'll shoot you a pm so we can discuss some details.

_craig_

I know man, just giving you a hard time haha

I'll shoot you a pm so we can discuss some details.

_craig_

I knew I didn't have a snowball's chance of that Power Ranger making it to me... Enjoy it Mark! Good on all, these were a little harder to pull pricing on though. Seems like fewer of the big shops carry the whole Tatuaje line, so single vendor pricing is harder to track down.

I'm ornery, so I'm going to play devil's advocate here and it doesn't have anything to do with the current P/Ts except they serve as an excellent example.

T:(4) Opus X xXx Power Ranger
P:(28) Anejo 49

Per vitola pricing and a sale from a vendor here on CP I see the cost for what a xXx should be, 10.25. However, I don't see them listed for the most part and when I do the prices are unrealistic($25-30). The cheapest I see them for (out of stock) is $14.50, but I never see a box price.
Anejo 49s are easier to find pricing on but I was again unable to find box pricing and the cheapest I've seen is $13-13.50. I might be able to get them for 11.50 as a box price IF one of the local B&Ms would have a box to sell. Plus I've seen a lot more Anejo 49s(and Anejos in a variety of sizes) versus a handful of Power Rangers, but that may be a regional or seasonal thing.

Since these are 2011 releases, they are a current line, are they actually an equal trade because of the relative difficulty in locating them and getting them reasonably priced? I did look to see if I could find production information on numbers of both cigars released but I didn't locate anything or my Google-Fu is weak today.

Since these are 2011 releases, they are a current line, are they actually an equal trade because of the relative difficulty in locating them and getting them reasonably priced?
This is a good question. I had always assumed it was a regional/local/seasonal thing. I know my B&M only puts out one or two boxes at a time for singles so my selection of current release Opus are always limited. But now you've got me curious as to what the answer is.

Maybe I never would have had a shot at it after all because I don't have anything rarer or harder to find than a regular production Opus.