• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Newbie Pass 101

This is a good question. I had always assumed it was a regional/local/seasonal thing. I know my B&M only puts out one or two boxes at a time for singles so my selection of current release Opus are always limited. But now you've got me curious as to what the answer is.

Maybe I never would have had a shot at it after all because I don't have anything rarer or harder to find than a regular production Opus.

Anejos are typically released twice a year, around Christmas and around Fathers Day/late spring. The Opus are on a similar distribution schedule. I'd call them equivalents in terms of accessability, rareity/hard to finded-ness. Just because you can't find them in your area doesn't mean anything other than the shops in your area haven't sold enough AF product to qualify for their higher end products. AF is kind of a dick like that, shops have to orderXYZ # of ABC lines in order to qualify for the next better line.

For Opus and Anejo price reference CP almost always uses vitolas! :thumbs:

True true, most the searches I found turned up some form of the same vitola quoted at the beginning of the page!

This is a good question. I had always assumed it was a regional/local/seasonal thing. I know my B&M only puts out one or two boxes at a time for singles so my selection of current release Opus are always limited. But now you've got me curious as to what the answer is.

Maybe I never would have had a shot at it after all because I don't have anything rarer or harder to find than a regular production Opus.

Anejos are typically released twice a year, around Christmas and around Fathers Day/late spring. The Opus are on a similar distribution schedule. I'd call them equivalents in terms of accessability, rareity/hard to finded-ness. Just because you can't find them in your area doesn't mean anything other than the shops in your area haven't sold enough AF product to qualify for their higher end products. AF is kind of a dick like that, shops have to orderXYZ # of ABC lines in order to qualify for the next better line.

That explains some of the scarcity, I'll have to see if I can pay better attention to the cycle. Currently I've seen a fair number of various Anejos coming in over the last 4-6 weeks, but the only Power Rangers have been on the shelves for awhile because of the price.

But, by that methodology, something like a Tat Anarchy or a Illusione Singulare would be a realistic trade for a Power Ranger or Anejo?(the Illusione is getting a little scarce to really throw in there but I'm running out of hard- to- find $10 cigars to compare)

And isn't this one of the biggest reasons to start and participate in passes? To be able to get access to sticks you might not normally be able to due to regional releases, B&M availability, etc.

Note: The first point under Judging Rarity:

Rarity should be based on production until a certain point where age can become a factor. I'd say that's probably when you get past the 8 year old marker for common sticks and probably 5 years for rarer cigars and cigars out of production. For example, someone justifying that Opus are one of the rarest cigars because they aren't at their B&M and they can't get them, even though the cigar is on a constant, quarterly production and are widely available. "Rarity" has always been judged differently by different hosts. I often looked at it based on the following qualifications listed below.

Note: The first point under Judging Rarity:

Rarity should be based on production until a certain point where age can become a factor. I'd say that's probably when you get past the 8 year old marker for common sticks and probably 5 years for rarer cigars and cigars out of production. For example, someone justifying that Opus are one of the rarest cigars because they aren't at their B&M and they can't get them, even though the cigar is on a constant, quarterly production and are widely available. "Rarity" has always been judged differently by different hosts. I often looked at it based on the following qualifications listed below.

Thanks for bringing this back up Jake, good thing to keep in mind!

If MarkJr's P/T's are accepted, I'll go ahead and post up my proposed P/T's later today.

_craig_

A little premature, since not everyone has chimed in. But it could be posted for debate anyway.

No one has disagreed with Mark's choices and if Jake gives it an ok then there's probably no harm in Craig posting his P/Ts early.

A little premature, since not everyone has chimed in. But it could be posted for debate anyway.

No one has disagreed with Mark's choices and if Jake gives it an ok then there's probably no harm in Craig posting his P/Ts early.

I'll do some research tonight...I got home at 10pm from work last night and am having a similar day today. Though, I will get to them..we have plenty of time.

I was planning on at least waiting till Marks P/T's were officially approved by Jake. Totally agree with you Joe, everyone needs the opportunity to join in the discusion on the P/T's. As the next three stops in the pass (Mark, myself, and Paul) are within driving distance, they have the potential to be pretty quick turn around times. I figure I'd try to keep it moving in a timely manner. However, I can hold off on posting.

And for the record, I lasted at least two minutes, nothing premature about that ;)

_craig_

Jake - I don't wish this to sound out of line, or lazy on my part, but do you think I it would be possible for you to update your first post with the current sticks in the pass once the P/T are finalized/O.K.'d ? I know you are a busy man, trying to keep this pass going and all, but if it's not too much...?

I have seen the main list updated on other passes while in progress, and it appears like it would be more helpful for those left in the pass to keep track on what's in there. A lot to try and filter thru with all the good discussions involved.

If not, I understand. Just my 2 cents. Thanks Jake ;)

*edit indicated with strike through letters and fixed with italic.

Jake - I don't wish this to sound out of line, or lazy on my part, but do you think I it would be possible for you to update your first post with the current sticks in the pass once the P/T are finalized/O.K.'d ? I know you are a busy man, trying to keep this pass going and all, but if it's not too much...?

I have seen the main list updated on other passes while in progress, and it appears like it would be more helpful for those left in the pass to keep track on what's in there. A lot to try and filter thru with all the good discussions involved.

If not, I understand. Just my 2 cents. Thanks Jake ;)

*edit indicated with strike through letters and fixed with italic.

I do this in all of my passes...the P/T's are being posted so quick...on top of an insane work week...I just haven't thought about it yet. Thanks for the reminder.

Here are my proposed p/t

T:(3) Opus X xXx Power Ranger
P:(28) Anejo 49

T:(24) Tatuaje Black Petite Lancero
P:(29) Tatuaje 7th Natural

T:(25) Tatuaje El Triunfador Lancero
P:(30) La Riqueza #3

These look good. To answer the question...the Black PL "second release" is a constant production now, from what I know. The first release had a shag foot, and those aren't that easy to come by...therefore there isn't rarity to consider.

Remember....Rarity and Scarcity are two completely different topics. This is why Vitolas pricing on the fuentes is the only thing we can really use. Going to cigar.com and finding $30 opus prices isn't going to cut it in any pass.

I will update the first post shortly.

The pass arrived today and everything was accounted for and in great shape. Put my sticks in and took my takes. I will get in touch with Lil_mac14 and find out if this going to be a hand off or if I'm mailing it to him.

BigJake. I think there is a mistake on the P/T's. I think Mark took the Power Ranger xxx, not the Perfection. I might not be looking at it right on my mobile device as well. So just asking.

Just got off the phone with Mark. Due to lack of transportation on my part, the pass looks like it'll be mailed out Monday morning. It's not going very far so it should definitely be here before the holiday.

Here are my proposed Puts/Takes. Let me know what you guys think, and if necessary I can adjust accordingly.

T(5) Arturo Fuente WOAM (2010)
P(31) Arturo Fuente Anejo NO. 50 (2006)

T(26) Padron 5000 Maduro
P(32) Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 Toro

T(2) Arturo Fuente Gran Reserva Chateau Fuente
P(33) 5 Vegas Serie 'A' Apex

T(27) Illusione Epernay Le Matin
P(34) Ashton VSG Torpedo

_craig_

This mostly looks good. I get a big over pit on the second one with Serious Cigars. I will go check other sources.

Like Lil_Mac said I will be dropping it off at the post office on Monday morning, in order to avoid it sitting in a warehouse over the holiday. Will post a tracking number as soon as I have it.