• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Newbie Pass 101

I guess I am a little confused. How did we establish the Tat Jar release when it was put in? If it was established based on the $13.00 mark, isn't that what we base our puts on as well? Or is it that the rarity is the factor?

Its a combination of factors AFAIK. You have to match rarity to rarity and MSRP to MSRP. Its acceptable to give up a bit of rarity for MSRP (over-put on MSRP to make up for less rarity) but there are limits. This is the best of my understanding; its a noobie pass.

I guess I am a little confused. How did we establish the Tat Jar release when it was put in? If it was established based on the $13.00 mark, isn't that what we base our puts on as well? Or is it that the rarity is the factor?

Rarity is not easy to match with this cigar....but that wasn't why he pulled it back. The opus is a great put on rarity (Since it's a 22 set release)...but the price is way out of the ball park. Like I said, I'm okay with this trade...but he chose to pull it. If this was any other pass that wasn't a newbie pass, nothing would have been said about the P/T...it was obviously good. I was merely pointing out the difference and how the opus should be priced...you know, for educational purposes.

Rarity is not easy to match with this cigar....but that wasn't why he pulled it back. The opus is a great put on rarity (Since it's a 22 set release)...but the price is way out of the ball park. Like I said, I'm okay with this trade...but he chose to pull it. If this was any other pass that wasn't a newbie pass, nothing would have been said about the P/T...it was obviously good. I was merely pointing out the difference and how the opus should be priced...you know, for educational purposes.

The reason I pulled it is I don't want to price everybody out of being able to take the cigar. Based on your guidance, I didn't want to over-put that much since its not really the spirit of this pass to have many $30+ sticks. That s Stradivarius vexed me to no end as it is...

Yeah, the Stradavarius was a difficult thing for me as well. But, I still don't see why the price was established at $13.00 when engspot put it in, it should be OK for you to put in the Opus. I really think you should go ahead and take the Tat and put the Opus in if that is what you want. I understand the rarity thing, but should that not have been established as an over put in the first place?

Yeah, the Stradavarius was a difficult thing for me as well. But, I still don't see why the price was established at $13.00 when engspot put it in, it should be OK for you to put in the Opus. I really think you should go ahead and take the Tat and put the Opus in if that is what you want. I understand the rarity thing, but should that not have been established as an over put in the first place?

No. The CG was put in the pass for a Tatuaje Halloween release. The MSRP on both are $13 and the rarity match was perfect. It was as spot on to value for value and rarity for rarity that you can have.

There was a method to the madness for the Stradivarius. I threw a few curve ball smokes in the pass for a reason. ;)

These are all great points guys. I agree with the Tat Black CG being a spot on P/T for a monster, as Jake had mentioned.
I also think KidM is spot on with the Tatuaje line, as far as LE sticks go. Pete does a lot of specialty cigars that can be hard to match up
with other great brands that have been out on the market for decades with impeccable reputations.

KidM- Your P/Ts look good to me. As far as that Tat Black CG goes, if Jake said it's not an issue, then TAKE that bad boy! It's a gem. :D

Ok, I see your point about the Opus. The problem with Tats is it seems like a full 1/4 of their sales are from limited releases making it impossible to match a LOT of their stuff on MSRP and rarity. I may have to step away from it because the only other thing I have that comes close on rarity is the LFD Factory Press IV but at 1468.50 per 120 ct case at Serious Cigars, the average only comes to $12.20.

T: #13. Grand Habano Connecticut #1 Robusto ($3.33)
P: Outlaw Cigar Co "13" Corona ($4.15)

T: #26. Tatuaje 7th Natural (averages at about $8.21)
P: Padron 1964 Anniversary Maduro Principe (averages to $8.66 [repeating, of course] across Holts, Serious Cigars and Smoke Inn)

T: #47. Tatuaje Black CG (Jar Release) ($13)
P: Opus X No. 2 from the CFCF Funbox 2007 with the extra 2007 band (MSRP $15.00)

T: #57 Illusion 88 ($7.80)
P: LFD Air Bender Chisel (averages to $7.90)

Those all look good to me.

Also, good call on pulling the OPUS, the rarity match seems good (since it's from the CFCF 2007 box). But the major over put on price (almost 3 times the Tat) would be a bit steep on this newbie pass. I know that nothing in my humi would be able to even come close to touching that..

Lastly, the Tat 7th Natural is #29 not #26 in the cigar lineup. Not that it really matters that much right now though...

No mail delivery today; probably a Federal Holiday. I guess I'll have to wait for tomorrow.

No mail delivery today; probably a Federal Holiday. I guess I'll have to wait for tomorrow.

Please tell me that bad boy was waiting for you today? If not, I'm pretty sure that's an ulcer I'm feeling in my gut and not the tacos I had for dinner.

Please tell me that bad boy was waiting for you today? If not, I'm pretty sure that's an ulcer I'm feeling in my gut and not the tacos I had for dinner.

Nope, got it. Safe and sound though I haven't opened it yet. Got home late and discovered a minor plubing issue (if you can call any pumbing issue minor), so I haven't cracked the box.

Ok, I made my three P/Ts and am waiting on an address confirmation from Thumper68. Boy, the Gran Habano, Illusione and Tatuaje are great looking picks and I'm very happy I settled on them. I tried to target sticks that had been in the pass the longest and to avoid any more Arturo Fuente product in the pass, since most of the puts have been AF. Every pass needs PAM.

I'm hoping to do a little of the same on my P/Ts, although I may not be able to avoid putting in a few more AF sticks.

Hope the plumbing issue didn't turn into Niagara Falls.

I had to PUT like for like (value) so there were only so many options to achieve equitability in the P's and T's. I have a lot of sticks but, my price points didn't match well with the pass cigars. Therefore..........Fuente y Padron! :laugh:

Fuente, LG, Illusione, and Padron are the 4 cornerstones of my humidor. They all seem to have a good variety on price and cover a gambit of flavor profiles.

(One day I'd like to learn more about ISOM smokes, but I've targeted a few I like and just stick to those.)

Glad to see that the pass is back on track!

I'm hoping to do a little of the same on my P/Ts, although I may not be able to avoid putting in a few more AF sticks.

Hope the plumbing issue didn't turn into Niagara Falls.

Actually the opposite though eventually exactly that. What happens when a bottle of Drano doesn't do a damn thing to unclog a sink blockage? Time to take apart the serpentine! Yaay, a sink full of water to catch in a bucket or two. Oh, and towels. Towels everywhere. I couldn't cook dinner last night because I couldn't use my sink and hadn't been able to do dishes. :angry:

Sorry to hear about your plumbing issues. Hope it all gets squared away soon.