• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Newbie questions

CBoukal

Impeached Staff Member
Staff member
I dabbled in smoking pipes a few years ago but didn’t really take it anywhere. I also didn’t do much homework before I started. My main question at this moment is about tobacco storage. I have the below tin from Christmas of 2015 unopened. Is it still good? How should I be storing something like that to keep it good?? Same question with the DE tin, not sure ok date but probably same timeframe. I received a Bunch of baggies of tobacco from the Denver cigar festival, what about storing those??

Second question is about flavored tobacco, I remember people saying to smoke that in a corn cob so it doesn’t alter the flavor of other tobacco i smoke in my “good pipes”. Is that still common and true??

thanks in advance!!5B59EBD3-2E2A-472A-89E2-22E8D61DBD13.jpegA8C27CEA-F9FD-4E60-94E1-3CDBBE84B986.jpeg1E4628F7-1677-4D59-9ADC-645A4BFF2CAA.jpeg40EEAFD4-28B9-449B-B711-D2A57D09F9FC.jpegB10BADF7-01A2-4991-B51A-B63C67128698.jpeg08E486DF-301E-49DF-952E-677E224DA847.jpeg97129087-E7DD-408E-871D-45C5BF8ACE2D.jpeg

As long as the tins are unopened, they'll be fine in a closet or stored where you keep your cigars. The opened tin, will dry out, so I'd suggest smoking that. I've always kept baggies of tobacco or large quantities of tobacco (that I'm not going to enjoy anytime soon) in mason jars. You can buy a range of sizes and all you do is empty the tobacco out in the jars and seal them up. Just don't keep the tobacco in a humidor, with your cigars.

I haven't smoked a pipe in a few years, but I always dedicated a pipe to a blend/tobacco. Cobs are cheap and that's all I've used for aromatic tobaccos.

Typically people break their pipes into three categories:

1) English/Latakia blends
2) Aromatics
3) Everything else (Va/Per, Burleys)

I never smoke favored or aromatic tobacco, but there are many great options

beautiful looking pipes ...

Just don't keep the tobacco in a humidor, with your cigars.
Just out of curiosity, is this to avoid potentially blending flavors from pipe tobacco over to your cigars? I’ve been considering getting into the pipe game, so I just want to make sure to understand what to avoid and why when it comes to storage. I’ve seen people keep them in their humidor, but that, of course, doesn’t necessarily mean it proper practice. Thanks in advance!

Freebern has it spot on. Mason jars for any tobacco that you aren't going to smoke right away. I live in Hawaii, which is pretty humid, so I can keep tobacco in a baggie or opened tin and smoke through it before it gets too dry. If you live somewhere like Nevada, chances are it wouldn't last the afternoon.

My current top 3 tobaccos are C&D Old Joe Krantz, Rattray's Hal 'O The Wynd, and Dunhill (Peterson) Elizabethan Mixture. Goo oooo oooooood!

I will definitely heed that advice from you all (and many thanks for the tobacco recommendations!) but my main question was why it is bad to store pipe tobacco in your humidor with your cigars. Is it an issue of blending of flavors? Or humidity issue?

I will definitely heed that advice from you all (and many thanks for the tobacco recommendations!) but my main question was why it is bad to store pipe tobacco in your humidor with your cigars. Is it an issue of blending of flavors? Or humidity issue?
Yes!

Sorry, i's a blending/infusing of aromatics/flavors, as opposed to a humidity issue. Imagine for a moment, you store some Latakia blended(as an example) tobacco, in the same humidor as your cigars. What you're effectively doing, is infusing your cigars with the smoky aroma/flavor, from the Latakia. It's just a good practice, to keep them separate. Just go to your local grocery store and get some 4 oz mason jars. If you buy loose tobacco, from either a local B&M or online, they will come in baggies. Seal it up in the jars and you're good to go.

Sorry, i's a blending/infusing of aromatics/flavors, as opposed to a humidity issue. Imagine for a moment, you store some Latakia blended(as an example) tobacco, in the same humidor as your cigars. What you're effectively doing, is infusing your cigars with the smoky aroma/flavor, from the Latakia. It's just a good practice, to keep them separate. Just go to your local grocery store and get some 4 oz mason jars. If you buy loose tobacco, from either a local B&M or online, they will come in baggies. Seal it up in the jars and you're good to go.
Awesome! I appreciate the explanation. I’ll be headed to my local B&M after work today. Not sure I’ll be able to afford their pipe selection, but I know they have some blends i used to enjoy about 10 years ago so I can at least get the tobacco while waiting for a pipe to ship. Looking forward to trying it again

This is very important... there is nothing worse than receiving some great looking cigars, only to find out that they smell like pipe tobacco... just horrible...

I keep a cooler with beads as my "cellar". That way any slight leakage of the Mason jars won't result in dry tobacco.

My cellar is a credenza sitting across the room from my humidor.

Unopened tins keep the tobacco indefinitely.
Opened tins get transferred to a wide mouth Mason jar after I get the moisture where I like it.

Also, be sure to swing by and join us on Rod's other forum...