• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

No Premium Cigar FDA Exemption

With so much money involved on all sides, I'm not sure who is to blame for this latest intrusion on our lifestyle. For those involved in making premium cigars a pariah on our society, I'm shocked they haven't gone after alcohol with the same SJW vigor being that it kills so many more people. ;) I guess the alcohol lobby is much stronger than the cigar industry's lobbying power ($$$). I had a feeling something was up when Rocky Patel was on FOX's Tucker Carlson show the other night...it had a 'last ditch effort' feel to it. Looks like the black market for premium cigars in America just got a shot of B12 in the arm.

On that note, I'm still perplexed as to what difference the CRA has made in preserving our rights as cigar smokers in America since it's inception. What 'Rights' have they helped to uphold? Other than showing up for photo ops with a few politicians, golf outings, and grand cigar events...what have they done with all that membership money? Where have they made a difference? When questioned on this topic, all I've heard is how they work so diligently behind the scenes to preserve our cigar smoking rights...but all I see is failure after failure on every front...be it at the city, state, and now, the Federal level. When I've asked for some success stories or an update on their progress at a cigar event where they're soliciting people to join, I catch an attitude just for asking and not accepting their 'working the backrooms of Washington DC' as an answer....while they add, 'you just don't know how politics works'. Well, based on their results, I don't think they do either. Just something to think about before any CP members renew their membership in this organization. Ask questions before mailing a check, I'm curious as to their answers because I've never received a satisfactory one in the last 3-4 years of me asking.

Last edited:
Did anyone see the Rocky Patel interview on Fox? This stupid thing is still happening.

On that note, I'm still perplexed as to what difference the CRA has made in preserving our rights as cigar smokers in America since it's inception. What 'Rights' have they helped to uphold? Other than showing up for photo ops with a few politicians, golf outings, and grand cigar events...what have they done with all that membership money? Where have they made a difference? When questioned on this topic, all I've heard is how they work so diligently behind the scenes to preserve our cigar smoking rights...but all I see is failure after failure on every front...be it at the city, state, and now, the Federal level. When I've asked for some success stories or an update on their progress at a cigar event where they're soliciting people to join, I catch an attitude just for asking and not accepting their 'working the backrooms of Washington DC' as an answer....while they add, 'you just don't know how politics works'. Well, based on their results, I don't think they do either. Just something to think about before any CP members renew their membership in this organization. Ask questions before mailing a check, I'm curious as to their answers because I've never received a satisfactory one in the last 3-4 years of me asking.

I'm sorry to say it but I have to agree 100%. When WA state had their ridiculous smoking ban up for a vote, where was the CRA...?? Nowhere I could see. It passed, and the days of smoking a cigar in a cigar store are now over in WA state. As if people that objected to cigar smoke hung out in cigar stores. I digress....Like you, Gary, I've asked for examples of their 'behind the scenes hard work where they've made a difference' and I get the big frown like I've asked a forbidden question. I don't get it. And, they don't get my money. I don't buy it. I hear '....they're the only lobbying group we have, we really need to support these guys....' but I'd sure like to hear some valid success stories. Crickets......

There is NO REASON for premium cigars to be thrown under the bus with this. CRA was either completely missing in action, or they failed badly. Neither is a good outcome.

With so much money involved on all sides, I'm not sure who is to blame for this latest intrusion on our lifestyle. For those involved in making premium cigars a pariah on our society, I'm shocked they haven't gone after alcohol with the same SJW vigor being that it kills so many more people. ;) I guess the alcohol lobby is much stronger than the cigar industry's lobbying power ($$$). I had a feeling something was up when Rocky Patel was on FOX's Hannity show the other night...it had a 'last ditch effort' feel to it. Looks like the black market for premium cigars in America just got a shot of B12 in the arm.

One thing, and one thing only ($$$$$$) gets policy change in this country. Policy change, especially significant policy change only happens when someone, or several someones are getting briefcases full of $$$$$$$, or the said change will bring briefcases full of $$$$$$. This is the state of things.

That's exactly right. I thought Rocky did rather well in the interview.
I’d volunteer for a Cigar smoker only study. Gladly to prove science can demonstrate minimal ill effects. Of course that would take years and $$$$$$. Not really a topic I find people in a hurry to research. By the time any significant data would be proven, we will likely have several policy changes and government leaders appointed, elected, and purchased.

I’d volunteer for a Cigar smoker only study. Gladly to prove science can demonstrate minimal ill effects. Of course that would take years and $$$$$$. Not really a topic I find people in a hurry to research. By the time any significant data would be proven, we will likely have several policy changes and government leaders appointed, elected, and purchased.

C, I believe that data already exists on this board.

.....maybe. But there's a reason I'm keeping the cabinet packed wall to wall. As a wise man said; "....hope for the best, but prepare for the worst...."
I’ve been stocking up for this reason myself.
Then been stocking up on Cuban production for another reason.... I’m fifty now and it’ll be another ten years before they all start to hit that sweet spot. Might be my last real spree, and hopefully, I’m around to enjoy them then.

I’ve been stocking up for this reason myself.
Then been stocking up on Cuban production for another reason.... I’m fifty now and it’ll be another ten years before they all start to hit that sweet spot. Might be my last real spree, and hopefully, I’m around to enjoy them then.

As hard as it is to admit, that is exactly true. This is a constant factor in buying CC as I only buy what I like that smokes well 'young' or I cough up the extra dough to buy them 'aged'....which is basically a crap shoot.

They want public health data? There really should be a way to recruit board members from CP, CF and other sites that could easily provide such data by taking a survey to gather a diverse set of data that would confirm cigar smoking is a significantly less dangerous alternative to cigarettes. As was stared earlier in the thread, that data exists here on CP. The article ends by saying they’d like people to leave cigarettes for a less harmful alternative. Many have done that on their own.

This may be a sign that indicates a shift in fda and scientists to confirm, one way or the other wether premium cigars are a better alternative in the world of tobacco products.

Now, this article doesn’t show any shift in the thinking of anti-tobacco groups.

Keep in mind, that this debate may take a while before it’s ever resolved. Like any “good” regulation and or policy, it’s a slow process. We are at an interesting juncture. I’m interested to see where all this heads and ends up.