• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Now Playing....(Movies and Reviews)

Watched "Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark" with my daughter on Tuesday evening. I don't know exactly what I was expecting, but it didn't quite live up to it. I was a little unfulfilled by the movie -- it had potential for so much more given the source material. Not saying it was a BAD movie... just not great.

Finished Mindhunter, and started a Russian version of "Humans" called "Better than Us."
It's fairly intelligent so far. While not identical to the Humans storyline, it's got a few parallels.

Finished Mindhunter, and started a Russian version of "Humans" called "Better than Us."
It's fairly intelligent so far. While not identical to the Humans storyline, it's got a few parallels.

Just finished Better Than Us and The Sinner. Enjoyed both.

Better Than Us started off looking like they'd be following in Humans' footsteps but they went somewhere really different with it. It's good.

There's a new series dropping on Amazon Prime this Friday called Carnival Row that looks worth a binge. Fae (fairies, elves, fauns, centaurs, etc) refugees in sort of a steampunk London. Orlando Bloom's in it, and Cara Delevigne from Valerian.

https___cdn.evbuc_.com_images_64484770_312220395315_1_original.jpg

~Boar

I've been watching (finally) "Orange Is The New Black". I started it a long time ago, but couldn't make it past the second episode -- it just didn't hold my attention. I'm a few episodes into S3 right now, and though the characters, themselves, are interesting, this is a show that struggles each episode/season to find a reason to exist beyond the sex scenes. It's like it is trying to go the "LOST" route with the personal history flashbacks, but whereas LOST created or deepened the mystery with their usage, OITB hasn't quite figured out how to integrate them properly or seamlessly. I'm not sure I'm going to make 7 seasons of this show if it doesn't pick up.

My wife binged Carnival Row. I couldn't get into it, the little I did watch seemed like typical Hollywood making a social statement about current issues.

I've been watching (finally) "Orange Is The New Black". I started it a long time ago, but couldn't make it past the second episode -- it just didn't hold my attention. I'm a few episodes into S3 right now, and though the characters, themselves, are interesting, this is a show that struggles each episode/season to find a reason to exist beyond the sex scenes. It's like it is trying to go the "LOST" route with the personal history flashbacks, but whereas LOST created or deepened the mystery with their usage, OITB hasn't quite figured out how to integrate them properly or seamlessly. I'm not sure I'm going to make 7 seasons of this show if it doesn't pick up.

I watched the whole series, and I don't think it ever recovers after whichever season is dedicated to their riot/protest. Not bad, just didn't hold my attention or make me care about any of the characters. Jenji Kohan has a knack for writing female lead characters that really annoy me and make me wish for more of the supporting cast, lol.

As far as movies lately, I just watched The Favourite on HBO after realizing Yorgos Lanthimos directed it. It's definitely worth watching, and far more "mainstream" than his movies The Lobster and Killing of a Sacred Deer. I loved both of those, but my guess is they're pretty polarizing in different ways.

If you love you some Nic Cage, and movies that are pretty far out there and f'd up, my highest recommendation goes to his movie Mandy. I think you can watch it free on the Shudder app with a free 7 day trial. Panos Cosmatos is another freaky Greek director...Mandy is kind of like if The Hills Have Eyes and Mad Max had a baby and only fed it LSD. Top tier stuff.

If you make it through Mandy and are thinking to yourself "I would like another inexplicably weird movie, but more artsy", then that would bring you to Gaspar Noe's "Enter the Void" which is shot in first person from the perspective of a drug dealer who dies at the beginning of the film and experiences life afterwards.

Watching the new series "Undone" on Amazon and it's brilliant.

Hyper-realistic animation style reminiscent of Linklater's "Waking Life" and "A Scanner Darkly" that is just incredibly beautiful.

Full of Big Damn Questions, raw emotion & angst.

~Boar

I watched the whole series, and I don't think it ever recovers after whichever season is dedicated to their riot/protest. Not bad, just didn't hold my attention or make me care about any of the characters. Jenji Kohan has a knack for writing female lead characters that really annoy me and make me wish for more of the supporting cast, lol.

As far as movies lately, I just watched The Favourite on HBO after realizing Yorgos Lanthimos directed it. It's definitely worth watching, and far more "mainstream" than his movies The Lobster and Killing of a Sacred Deer. I loved both of those, but my guess is they're pretty polarizing in different ways.

If you love you some Nic Cage, and movies that are pretty far out there and f'd up, my highest recommendation goes to his movie Mandy. I think you can watch it free on the Shudder app with a free 7 day trial. Panos Cosmatos is another freaky Greek director...Mandy is kind of like if The Hills Have Eyes and Mad Max had a baby and only fed it LSD. Top tier stuff.

If you make it through Mandy and are thinking to yourself "I would like another inexplicably weird movie, but more artsy", then that would bring you to Gaspar Noe's "Enter the Void" which is shot in first person from the perspective of a drug dealer who dies at the beginning of the film and experiences life afterwards.

I'll check those out when I'm done with OITNB. I'm just finished S6 last night. Thirteen more episodes to go. I actually thought that the riot (S5) was the best season so far. It really started showing depth of character and character arc for many of them, and it gave an actual purpose to the plot, rather than just vapid daily existence and sex scenes. You are absolutely correct about the supporting characters -- they are much better written than the main character (Piper). The show is exquisitely acted, though I'll be happy once I'm done with the show after this season.

I saw Angel Has Fallen on friday. Pretty good flick. Good action. A bit formulaic and fairly easy to see where the story will go.

Done with OITNB. I'm not sure the show could have done any worse of a job throwing away an entire final season, not to mention ditching half of the core characters for absolutely no reason. The entire series was incredibly disjointed in its casting, having characters just drop out for good out of nowhere with little lead up or follow up. Glad I watched it -- Glad it's over.

I checked out "Russian Doll" on Netflix with Natasha Lyonne. It's... interesting. Each episode is only about 25 minutes long, and there are only eight episodes in this first season, so you can marathon it in one session if you are so inclined (which I recommend for continuity). It starts slow, but comes together well.

Made our way through Season 3 of 13 Reasons. Still undecided on how this overall series is going.