• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Now Playing....(Movies and Reviews)

On Netflix, I've watched recently:

-Formula 1: Drive To Survive, S2
-Historical Roasts (highly recommended, though not for the thin-skinned)
-Marc Maron: End Times (stand up comedy by the dude from GLOW)
-Angel Has Fallen (mindless action)
-Life of Speed: The Juan Manuel Fangio Story
-Hanna
-Pacific Rim
-The Founder (makes me never want to eat McDonald's again -- what an asshole)
-The Huntsman: Winter's War (Jessica Chastain.)
-The Taking of Pelham 123 (Remake. Meh)
-Edge of Tomorrow (I started this on an airplane a bunch of years ago, and never got to finish it. And, Emily Blunt <3)
-Collateral (You can't hate Tom Cruise in this movie. You just can't.)
-Brightburn (What if Superman went evil as a kid?)
-Unbroken

Two others that I highly recommend:

-The Disaster Artist (This is a modern masterpiece. I can watch this movie over and over. The Francos are perfect in this film.)
-Circle (Ok, not the greatest film -- in fact, it isn't great at all. However, my 13-year-old recommended it, and after watching it, I can see why she was so attracted to it. First, the plot is 50 seemingly random people wake up in a room, and end up voting on the next person to get killed off by a mysterious lightning bolt that shoots out from the center of said room. There is no real action; it's all dialogue, and some of the actors shine with that while others are really not great. I hesitate to use the term "art", but this just may be. It's obvious intention is to make the viewer look inward and confront their own preconceived notions and impressions of the characters. Sure, some of the characters are so obvious that you can see how your opinions are being manipulated for you, but some people would side with certain characters and their ideas, while others will lean another way. I recommended this film because it allowed my daughter and I to have a real honest and open conversation about what she saw in the movie, and how it made her feel. It's a short movie, so if nothing else you haven't wasted too much time.)

Working from home and just started The Irishman. I've read the book, but didn't realize it was 3.5 hours long.

Anyone else watched it? Thoughts?

Netflix shows I've liked, if you've missed any of them:

Babylon Berlin
Altered Carbon
Sense8
The Crown
I Am Not Okay With This
Mindhunter
Stranger Things
Travelers
Lost Girl (not "Girls" which is something else. This is the sexy one with Anna Silk)
Punisher
Jessica Jones

On Amazon Prime:

Hunters
Hanna
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
The Expanse
The Boys
Bosch (new season drops in 2 weeks, so there's 5 of them to catch up on!)
The Man in the High Castle
Carnival Row
Good Omens
Undone
Fortitude
Counterpart

On Starz:

The Rook
American Gods
Black Sails
Magic City

On HBO:

Westworld
The Outsider
True Detective
His Dark Materials
Beforeigners
The Deuce
Halfworlds (just started this one---Season 1 is filmed in Jakarta, it's mostly in English with some scenes in subtitles. Cool show)

I'm picky, so there's a lot of shows I don't watch .... don't like period costume drama or sitcoms or "soap" drama generally, and nothing with a drug motif, theme or setting, even though for a really GREAT show I'll make an exception. All of these managed to grab & hold my attention without putting me off them. Working from home, even with a flexible schedule, I mostly only have time for movies on the weekends still. Recently watched "Rise of Skywalker" and "Kite," which is a live action anime remake with Samuel Jackson & pretty good. Amazon did an early release of "Birds of Prey" so I'll watch that this weekend.

~Boar

I'm picky, so there's a lot of shows I don't watch .... don't like period costume drama or sitcoms or "soap" drama generally, and nothing with a drug motif, theme or setting, even though for a really GREAT show I'll make an exception. All of these managed to grab & hold my attention without putting me off them. Working from home, even with a flexible schedule, I mostly only have time for movies on the weekends still. Recently watched "Rise of Skywalker" and "Kite," which is a live action anime remake with Samuel Jackson & pretty good. Amazon did an early release of "Birds of Prey" so I'll watch that this weekend.

~Boar

Have you watched Narcos? It really is THAT good, especially the first two seasons.

Have you watched Narcos? It really is THAT good, especially the first two seasons.

Nope. Won't, either.

Drugs, man. I can make an exception for period costume drama, as I did with The Crown, or for sitcoms, like I did with the ROTFL-level hilarious Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (which is also a period costume drama, albeit a recentish one, now that I think about it) but I can't sit through anything in any way related to drugs or the drug trade. It's kind of a visceral reaction, actually.

I mean, everybody says Breaking Bad and Ozarks are both absolutely brilliant, too, but .... I can't engage with them, at all. It just absolutely repels me.

Family members in prison & the graveyard behind that shit, bro. It's just not entertainment for me.

~Boar

Nope. Won't, either.

Drugs, man. I can make an exception for period costume drama, as I did with The Crown, or for sitcoms, like I did with the ROTFL-level hilarious Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (which is also a period costume drama, albeit a recentish one, now that I think about it) but I can't sit through anything in any way related to drugs or the drug trade. It's kind of a visceral reaction, actually.

I mean, everybody says Breaking Bad and Ozarks are both absolutely brilliant, too, but .... I can't engage with them, at all. It just absolutely repels me.

Family members in prison & the graveyard behind that shit, bro. It's just not entertainment for me.

~Boar

Understood. I've never watched BB or Ozark, either. Narcos is based on the rise and hunt of Pablo Escobar (S1), and then trying to shut down different cartels thereafter. It doesn't glorify drug use or the drug trade; rather the opposite. I get it, though. No worries. For what it's worth for anyone else, Narcos is probably one of the most well-done and "period correct" series I've ever watched. Especially S1. It's incredibly well-acted, and I'm a huge fan of Pedro Pascal (of recent Mandalorian fame).

Altered carbon 2nd season was quite the letdown for me. At least at first, after struggling to be entertained during the 1st two or three episodes it got better.

My kids and I have started to watch The West Wing. They have never seen it, though I have a few times. Because they aren’t with me at the moment, we are using Netflix Party on chrome to connect and watch together.

Altered carbon 2nd season was quite the letdown for me. At least at first, after struggling to be entertained during the 1st two or three episodes it got better.

My kids and I have started to watch The West Wing. They have never seen it, though I have a few times. Because they aren’t with me at the moment, we are using Netflix Party on chrome to connect and watch together.

I've been wanting to watch The West Wing for quite some time, now, but I don't know if I have a 7-season binge in me.

7 seasons is a long time, but at least no commercials! And Netflix party is pretty cool, everyone has to be logged onto Netflix on the browser they are using and have the extension installed. Then one person starts what you want to watch, and sends a code to the other people (a link). They click it and are in. We used email but any instant messenger should work.

Understood. I've never watched BB or Ozark, either. Narcos is based on the rise and hunt of Pablo Escobar (S1), and then trying to shut down different cartels thereafter. It doesn't glorify drug use or the drug trade; rather the opposite. I get it, though. No worries. For what it's worth for anyone else, Narcos is probably one of the most well-done and "period correct" series I've ever watched. Especially S1. It's incredibly well-acted, and I'm a huge fan of Pedro Pascal (of recent Mandalorian fame).
I can't recommend Breaking Bad enough. Absolutely phenomenal acting. My GF and I got sucked in to it bad after never watching it when it was on.

Discovered I missed the release of season 2 of Altered Carbon somehow, so 5 episodes deep into that on night 1 haha.

There's also an animated Altered Carbon feature on Netflix now too, it's called Resleeved and it was really good. Tokyo Gore school of anime, sort of, with terrific animation & a cool storyline.

~Boar

It definitely didn't uphold the standard the first season set. Not sure how it could have, really---how would you even BEGIN to top Ortega fighting an endless series of naked Rei sleeves in Rei's clone chamber? I was a bit underwhelmed myself. It was good, but not the level of GREAT the first season blew my mind on.

~Boar

We couldn’t make it through Season 2 of Altered Carbon, after enjoying season 1. I feel bad for Anthony Mackie.

Yes 1st season of AC was soooo good. You gotta get through 3 episodes at least Of s2 before it gets interesting.

Kinda like game of thrones. I struggled with the first 3 episodes three times before I got hooked.

That’s me though. My standard is about 5 mins. I have to be mildly entertained within that timeframe or I’m out. So much stuff out there that I have a hard time wasting time of stuff that isn’t good.

That said. Justified. Awesome show. More will come to mind I’m sure. If you like funny, schitts creek, and working moms.Now that’s Canadian stuff and not everyone’s cup of tea but it’s mildly entertaining at a minimum to me lol.

*snip*
That’s me though. My standard is about 5 mins. I have to be mildly entertained within that timeframe or I’m out. So much stuff out there that I have a hard time wasting time of stuff that isn’t good.

That said. Justified. Awesome show.
*snip*

I'm the same, especially with movies. If a movie doesn't pull me in right from the opening scene I'll mostly likely bail. There's just too much better stuff out there to suffer through crap waiting for the good parts and waste time being bored. With shows, I also need to have a character I like. If there's NO ONE I can emotionally invest in I'm never going to care about the storyline enough to watch. With that said, even shows I like, if the background mythos---that not quite ever fully revealed behind the scenes conspiracy that X-Files started that's now standard in a lot of shows---becomes too absurd, too convoluted or just too damn conveniently deus ex machina for my taste I'll bail midseason in a heartbeat.

So all THAT said, BIG yes on Justified. One of the best shows ever. Peak "Gary Cooper" era Olyphant and Elmore Leonard written dialogue that just crackles. 👍

~Boar

U.S. Marshall. But with a hat! 🤠

Just watched The Witch: Subversion on Amazon and despite the weird title, if you don't mind subtitles you should DEFINITELY watch this movie! Like Hanna it draws you in (with a few clues along the way) thinking it's going to be one kind of movie and then when the fight action breaks out it's just completely OFF THE HOOK. Seriously great watch.

Korean cinema is really going places these days. Watched Parasite a week or so ago and I have to say, it definitely deserved that Oscar.

~Boar