• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ohio HERF

engspot

Covered in Paint
Come watch some NCAA basketball and meet some of the CP BOTLs!
Saturday March 19, 1pm-
House of Cigars in Columbus, OH

There appears to be many Ohio smokers here on CP and was wondering if you guys wanted to get together. If we can agree on a day and a place I'll try to find a B&M where we can meet up. I know Akron has come up often in the intro threads, but I'd be willing to travel down to Columbus if its more convenient for others we can find an accommodating smoker-friendly place down there.

I am taking a vacation day at work on March 18 due to a perfect storm of St. Patrick's Day hangover, March Madness, and OSU playing in Cleveland (I hope) that Friday. Maybe that will work and we can enjoy some good smokes and college hoops.

Just throwing it out there to see if there is interest. We can choose a location will depending on how many people are interested and where they are traveling from.

-Alan

Edit for date, time, place

Edit 2 postponed for a later date

Ohio is a great place to be...but let's keep it central. I would be up for Columbus or some such but the last time I went near Akron this was the kind of scene I encountered. Let's at least find an area of the state that has indoor plumbing!

Ohio is a great place to be...but let's keep it central. I would be up for Columbus or some such but the last time I went near Akron this was the kind of scene I encountered. Let's at least find an area of the state that has indoor plumbing!

HEY!!!

Damn Bungles fan.

I guess the next question is if anyone can recommend a good place in Columbus with indoor plumbing and a low number of Squeeler fans. I've heard Tinder Box and Uptown Cigars are decent shops, but haven't been to either of them.

My upcoming weekends in March are all free. Does March 19 or 26 work?

Looking forward to meeting some of you guys :)

Edit: alright...maybe 1 Steeler fan would be ok

I would have to check my schedule on those dates. If the whole central Ohio thing doesn't pan out we could always do a small NE Ohio meet and great.

House of Cigars in C-bus. Great reviews online. I went last week and was blown away by their stock. They have a nice lounge with big screen as well. Here is their site:

http://www.houseofcigar.net/

House of Cigars in C-bus. Great reviews online. I went last week and was blown away by their stock. They have a nice lounge with big screen as well. Here is their site:

The one on Huntley, or the one on Sawmill?

I did not even notice they had two locations. I went to the one on Huntley, so that is the only one I am familiar with. It was a nice shop.

I did not even notice they had two locations. I went to the one on Huntley, so that is the only one I am familiar with. It was a nice shop.

Hell, the last time I was there. It was a warehouse that you had to park around back, but had a GREAT selection.

I may try to come back to the Suckeye State for this.

I was at the location on Huntley about 3 months ago. I agree that they have a great selection, but the conditions were less than ideal. The humidity must have been too high, as there were many sticks with noticeable mold. As for the staff / owner, he was very nice. It is definitely not a fancy place though.

I was at the location on Huntley about 3 months ago. I agree that they have a great selection, but the conditions were less than ideal. The humidity must have been too high, as there were many sticks with noticeable mold. As for the staff / owner, he was very nice. It is definitely not a fancy place though.

What is fancy then? I have never seen anything more than some couches/chairs and a TV at any of the shops I have been to. It looks like you are from the Cleveland area as well. Is there a place that you recommend in the area that would be on par or better than House of Cigars? This is more for my personal use then for the Herf.

The humidity comment is interesting though. While I did not notice mold on the cigars, I did notice the humidifiers spewing water out like crazy. One of the employees even told me to be careful because the floor was all wet.

What side of Cleveland? I know a few decent spots on the east side. I've also heard good things about Cigars Cigars on the west side, but havent personally been there.

I prefer good company (and unmoldy tobacco) and the rest is just details :)

What side of Cleveland? I know a few decent spots on the east side. I've also heard good things about Cigars Cigars on the west side, but havent personally been there.

I prefer good company (and unmoldy tobacco) and the rest is just details :)

Ok so I am closer to Akron. It's hard to admit. So I am stuck with places like The Village Tobacconist.

I have changed my cigar priorities a bit and have made smoking unmoldy cigars higher on my list of priorities. Never thought to have to worry about that.

The place I used to stop during the colder months was Smokers Haven, but they closed years ago. They were pricey with minimal selection, atmosphere was the only good thing.
Being that i no longer live in cbus, I don't have a go to spot for you. I would look into stogies and sticks in Dublin and timba in powell. I have heard of them, but I have never been there. I don't think you can smoke at the tinderbox locations though. This may have changed in the last few years.

I'm in the Youngstown area now. We have a few decent shops around here, but prices are laughable.

As long as its a weekend I'm free I would probably make the trip to Columbus. Its less then a 2 hour drive from my house.

I'd also be interested in a NE Ohio meet if anybody else is.

OK, now that we have thankfully cleared the talk about whether places are fancy enough, who is going to take control of planning this thing? If I have to be the fire brand evil jackass guilt purveyor brandishing weapons of ignominy and disgrace then at least let me know where I have to herd the cats. Pick a date, pick a place. It's not that difficult to put wheels in motion! ;)

OK, now that we have thankfully cleared the talk about whether places are fancy enough, who is going to take control of planning this thing? If I have to be the fire brand evil jackass guilt purveyor brandishing weapons of ignominy and disgrace then at least let me know where I have to herd the cats. Pick a date, pick a place. It's not that difficult to put wheels in motion! ;)

Here is my contribution to the planning-

Date-March 19
Place-Don't know. House of Cigars had the best selection that I have seen in my short cigar smoking career. Still my recommendation. I am pleased to announce that my Opus X did not have mold, so I am still a fan. I do not know any other stores in the area.

Why March 19 you ask? OP mentioned college basketball (good call by the way) and the 3rd round will be played on that day. Here is the tourney schedule minus the teams:

http://www.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/files/2011mbbblankbracket.pdf

Hope this gets things moving again. Maybe engspot will come back and take the planning over.