• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

OMG! Have you read Mowee's piece on the RTDA this year?

I'll give them a whirl. :)

At risk of being mocked by my peers (or is that peeers? :p ), I have a soft spot in my heart for Macadoodles.

The first premium cigar I ever smoked was a Mac, some 20 years ago. While mild, and not strongly flavored, every one I've smoked since then was exactly as I expected it to be. Flavor and construction are the most consistent of any brand I've smoked.

Every couple of years I smoke one - mostly for nostalgic purposes - and while they aren't the most exciting smokes around, but they really aren't bad.

It'll be interesting to try the beefed up blend.

Your a hell of a salesman, haha. Already sold like $100.00 worth! :D

I might order one as well.

I smoked one of these last night and I have to say that this will be a cigar that I will smoke and buy! Very tasty medium body smoke. This is something General has needed for a long time. Very well balanced, awesome draw and amazing flavor. I have no love of Macanudo or any General products for that matter but this is different. I just hope this cigar stays this good when it is finally released. That is an unfortunate drawback to having samples from the trade show. Sometimes the final cigar is nothing like what you are given at the show!

The price of Liga Privada #9’s has actually gone down! The Liga line now has additional sizes – a Robusto at $8.95 (the Toro has dropped a buck to $9.95), the new Belicoso at $10.95 and the Double Corona at $11.95.

wow new sizes
Now this I gotta check out. I've been saying for months that I can't wait until they begin introducing this blend in different sizes. Nice move! Now all they need is a corona or a p.c. and all will be right with the world!
Right on! If they could come up with a Lonsdale size, a la the VSG Illusion, I'd be all over that puppy. The Robusto would be very nice indeed for a slightly shorter smoke than the original size.

Times are good for being a cigar smoker. :thumbs:

Wilkey

I spoke with Steve Saka while enjoying a cigar at Casa Fuente. I asked Mr. Saka, "Why a double corona in the Liga Privada when the market is moving towards a smaller ring guage."

His response, "we have been working on a small format on the Liga." "We use 5 different filler tobacco and it hard to keep the flavor profile the same when using that many filler tobaccos, but trying to make a smaller rg cigar."

So they are working on making a smaller size. Just thought I would share what was told directly to me.

Mark

Tried one of the 1968's yesterday and it was surprisingly good. Draw was tight, but otherwise the construction is excellent. Mild to medium body, smooth, well balanced with some spiciness from the Nicaraguan wrapper. I was in a very long conversation with the owner of the shop so I didn't concentrate on the flavors, but from what I recall, the flavors were good. Put it down with about an inch to go when it developed some harshness, but overall, a very enjoyable experience.

I smoked one of these last night and I have to say that this will be a cigar that I will smoke and buy! Very tasty medium body smoke. This is something General has needed for a long time. Very well balanced, awesome draw and amazing flavor. I have no love of Macanudo or any General products for that matter but this is different. I just hope this cigar stays this good when it is finally released. That is an unfortunate drawback to having samples from the trade show. Sometimes the final cigar is nothing like what you are given at the show!

That's good enough for me.

Billy

Right on! If they could come up with a Lonsdale size, a la the VSG Illusion, I'd be all over that puppy. The Robusto would be very nice indeed for a slightly shorter smoke than the original size.

Times are good for being a cigar smoker. :thumbs:

Wilkey
I spoke with Steve Saka while enjoying a cigar at Casa Fuente. I asked Mr. Saka, "Why a double corona in the Liga Privada when the market is moving towards a smaller ring guage."

His response, "we have been working on a small format on the Liga." "We use 5 different filler tobacco and it hard to keep the flavor profile the same when using that many filler tobaccos, but trying to make a smaller rg cigar."

So they are working on making a smaller size. Just thought I would share what was told directly to me.

Mark
Mark,

Thanks for the info! That makes eminent sense.

Now, as I think about it, his comment seems to highlight a fundamental difference between Cuban cigars and non-Cuban cigars. It's been remarked occasionally through the years that NCs tend to taste more similar than not from the smallest to the largest frontmark (NC cigars' "model name"). My experience certainly supports this to varying degrees from brand to brand. Cuban cigars, however, can vary quite dramatically in strength and flavor across vitolas (Cuban cigars' "model name"). Case in point, in the Partagás marca the Shorts is one of their smallest "totalmente hecho a mano" cigars and is perhaps the kickiest. The Partagás Lonsdale is milder, more floral, markedly different in almost every way.

It would seem that NC makers strive for consistency across a line in a brand (e.g. Montecristo White in the Montecristo brand) revealing, perhaps, their belief that smokers' expectations run that way. In contrast, each Habanos vitola seems to have its own personality by design and intent.

As I think about it, it seems to make more sense from a blending perspective to allow the structural requirements of the size guide the blend and consequently the flavor and character of the cigar. For example, te 47 rg of a churchill will allow the use of 4-5 leaves in the filler whereas a laguito no.3 at 26 rg would have only one. It seems almost illogical, impossible to strive for perfect uniformity across sizes, but then again, my perception is that Habanos span a broader range of sizes (rg and length) than NCs. Perhaps this is why they've allowed the blend to follow the form.

Whoooo! So much to think about. Thanks again for sharing the intel, Mark!

Sounds good to me, Brad. I echo what you are saying about pre-production vs. production cigars. Hope these turn out to be as good as everyone thinks. Always nice to have a reasonably priced smoke to add to the mix.... :cool:

Cheers - B.B.S.

The Mac '68 is unlike any other Macanudo you have ever smoked. If you didn't have a band on it, you would NEVER guess it was a Macanudo. So forget the name and enjoy the smoke. It's a great cigar. The price point is questionable at $8.50-$11.00 MSRP. There are a lot of great cigars in that price range. This is also a contract protected cigar. That means that you won't find it for half the price on CI or Cbid, JR, etc...
In fact, I think the contract stipulates that it cannot even be advertised on the web (although General is doing just that themselves to generate interest). So grab the 3 pack for $7.95 and try them... you won't be disappointed at that price. But in the future, you'll have to get them at a B&M near you.

B&M's aren't going to convert many Tat, Illusione, Pepin, VSG, Serie V smokers over to this cigar... but for regular Mac lovers looking for full flavor, these will be a hit.

I don't know much about profit margins on cigars (although I would suspect General has one of the highest) but I would think starting this Mac 68 at a lower price would have a distinctive marketing advantage.

I don't know much about profit margins on cigars (although I would suspect General has one of the highest) but I would think starting this Mac 68 at a lower price would have a distinctive marketing advantage.
In what sense? Tell us a little more about what you're thinking.

Wilkey

I won a 4pack of mac Tubos a few months ago on CigarWorld's website, so it only seems fair that I buy this good deal 3pack from them. Order placed

Jim

With so many BOTL with so much cigar knowledge recommending these, how could I not order them!

I ordered a 3-pack last week. Cant wait to try.

edit: grammar is key

OMG! What in the world were you smoking? I had the Toro the other night, and it was one of the most blandest, tasteless cigars I have had in ages! I even tried letting her rest for a while...which oddly enough improved it. This cigar did not even taste like tobacco to me with ZERO finish on my pallet!

Ok, with all that said, it sounds like there are many people who enjoy these! If anyone wants to trade for other $10 smokes, LMK!

In what sense? Tell us a little more about what you're thinking.

Wilkey

I'd like to hear more also. We serious smokers generally scoff at Macs, as Mowee put it "air balls". Still, its either the best or one of the best selling lines out there. I think they're stepping off in the right price range.

BTW - you can order a promotional 3-pack of the 1968's for about $10-11 shipped, via this link.

Well the Macanudo 1968s have arrived! Much to my surprise. I placed my order when I posted the link back on the 22nd. Usually these promotional cigar deals drag on for a a month or more. So a "delivery well done" to Macanudo for a speedy 1st class mail delivery. I received a Robusto (5 x 50), a Gigante (6 x 60), and a Churchill (7 x 49). They look nice. I'll give them a few days minimum in the humidor.