• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Online vs B&M purchases

I think unless its a rare stick I'm done buying online as it seems like 75% of the time there is something wrong whether it happens in the wharehouse or in transit. Tired of the time of the back and forth with online people.

Your thoughts?

There are a number of good sources that are owned or run by CP members.  Absolutely no hassles and great service.  They are all I use.

Depends on who you use. I've never really had an issue... Buying local isn't an option anymore here so I am stuck with online and vendors here 100% of the time. 

I support my local when I can, even with the crazy CO taxes.

But I buy most of my cigars from memebers here or the vendors on this site.

Tim

MilesMingusMonk said:
Support your local B&M whenever possible, even if it cost a little more.

Oh believe me I do especially the one I smoke at 3-4 days
a week. I might not always buy the stick I walk in smoking like a Liga or CC
because they can’t get Liga and obviously CCs but I always purchase something
there. I'm a regular long enough and a few times a week so the owner is Kosher
with it. Plus I buy stuff thats marked up like made that they have a greater
profit margin on like lighters and cutters. It’s like a woman who smokes there
once said, "it’s like being a stylist, you are renting a chair." If I
go in 3-4 days a week and one day buy 5 sticks I might skip a day or two
between purchases other than beverages but again they know me and they are cool
with it. Or if they get something in that they don’t often I will pick 5-15 of
them recently being the Illusione ~88~ and ~888~ candelas. Tried it, liked it a
ton, bought the box out to have and share. Their reward program is pretty
awesome too.

I use my B$M almost exclusively. They treat me so well, I'd be a damn fool not to. Hell, they even keep boxes of my favorites hidden from other customers, just for me and they give me the box price on singles. I do most of my shopping downtown, everything from clothing to records and CDs. I hate malls, Wal-Mart, and big box stores, and shopping on the internet isn't much fun.

Doc

Id love to be able to buy from the B&M's here but the price is so much inflated I rather like encouraging BOTL whom I trust.

I've bought from Jim (keystone_raider) several times and never had a problem, always fast shipping and a great deal. 

I support my local B&M, which also has a members only smoking lounge.  They have humidor lockers for one annual fee or you can pay a social membership annually, without use of a personal locker.  The B&M tends to have prices higher than what I can buy online, but I like to support local businesses.  I do get a 10% discount on singles less than 20 in number and 20% on boxes or if I buy 20 or more singles.

Having said that, I also buy online quite a bit, mainly for items I can't get at my local B&M.  I haven't had any issues with any online purchases to date, but i tend to limit my use to only 2-3 establishments consistently.

Frank

MX said:

Tim
There's talk of an online sales tax for all online transactions....that'll be a sad day for online cigar buying.

Ferkondenster said:

Tim
There's talk of an online sales tax for all online transactions....that'll be a sad day for online cigar buying.
doubtful.....there's always "talk" of this that or the other lol

I've bought from several of the vendors on here, and some of the higher end, more reputable online sellers, with excellent results.  Cigarbid is another matter entirely; their stock usually tastes flat. But I mostly buy from my local B&M, where I've been shopping and smoking for ten years now.  

Mostly it's because I seldom buy whole boxes nowadays, and it's nice to be able to walk around in their ginormous, lavishly stocked humidor and come out with 10-12 different sticks . . . and then pull a bottle of bourbon out from under the counter, and kick back in the lounge with a drink and a cigar.  But when I do buy a box, even if I can beat the price a bit online, I'll generally buy it from them if they can get it for me, because I like hanging out there and want them to stay in business.

~Boar

I worked for several years in a B&M.  We had regular customers that were very good to us, and so we did whatever we could to take care of them.  We knew it could be easier (and cheaper) to buy online, so we always appreciated their business.  We would hold a few hard to get sticks (i.e. OpusX, Padron '26, etc.) for our good customers before they sold out.  We would also sometimes throw in a few singles with box purchases.

That said, I have also bought from several online retailers with absolutely no problems.  I say support your local B&M whenever possible, but it's no sin to buy online.

EDIT:  I should add...that B&M where I worked is closed now. :(

Support the B&M, or the stores of the brothers on here. Either way, it's a solid buy.

I have been purchasing cigars from "cigar place" for years, and have had absolutely no problems whatsoever.

BrownDevil said:

Tim
doubtful.....there's always "talk" of this that or the other lol

Yeah but I follow that stuff and politics pretty close and this time around its got some strong traction. Good thing is companies like Amazon, the 800lb gorilla in the room, is sinking a lot of lobbying money into stopping it.