• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Opinions on Davidoff cigars

I find the Millenium blend to be quite good, especially the PC. I (though not a member of the official MN Crew) also enjoy the special R quite a bit. I don't really find them lacking in flavor, but they're certainly not powerhouses in any regard. Like Doc said, they have their place in the rotation and I'm one of those 3 a week (usually less) guys he spoke of.

They are a little spendy, but I feel like the quality is there. There are more expensive cigars out there that are far more lacking to me than Davidoffs.

TOO MILD TOO MILD.........Ah yes, the double ligero crowd is heard from, LOL.

I love Davidoff cigars. They are certainly not budget cigars and certainly not for smoking after you've grimmaced your way through two LfD Double ligeros or something, but the stuff about too mild is just so much horsehockey!

For those who haven't had their tastebuds beaten into submission by todays dearth of in your face strong for the sake of strong offerings these cigars are a wonderful experiernce if you sit down take your time and focus on the flavors.

IMO of course

The Robusto 100's as well as the Diademas Finas are excellent cigars when I'm in the mood for something lighter. In fact, I've been through about ten boxes of the 100's. The rest are OK and something that I generally hand out to special friends who aren't regular smokers and don't want to be knocked on their asses, but want something with flavor.

There are more expensive cigars out there that are far more lacking to me than Davidoffs.
Like, um, Zino Platinum Crown and Sceptre?

Wilkey
Well, I wasn't going to name names, but...yeah.

I've yet to find a Platinum Crown or Sceptre that tasted like anything at all. For the bucks, these are about the most disappointing cigar I've ever had.

I like mild cigars and I like Davidoffs but they aren't worth the high price at all. I would much rather smoke an Ashton Cabinet as far as expensive mild cigars go.

I love Davidoff cigars. They are certainly not budget cigars and certainly not for smoking after you've grimmaced your way through two LfD Double ligeros or something, but the stuff about too mild is just so much horsehockey!

For those who haven't had their tastebuds beaten into submission by todays dearth of in your face strong for the sake of strong offerings these cigars are a wonderful experiernce if you sit down take your time and focus on the flavors.

IMO of course
Now, now. I don't smoke DL cigars and I find the majority of new issues (read much of the Pepin stuff) to be too strong for my regular rotation. My tastebuds are just fine, thank you. But what fails to tip the scale for me with respect to these cigars is the weakness of flavor. I don't mind mild cigars, in fact, I love mild Habanos like Quai D'Orsay and ERdM and I find myself gravitating to the lighter end in general this past month. I certainly can focus on flavors but if I have to squint and really nose blow the hell out of a cigar to enjoy it, it's too dilute for me to bother with. And then there's the $$ factor.

But what really matters is that the folks who can afford it and enjoy it have the opportunity to do so.

Wilkey

IMO of course
Now, now. I don't smoke DL cigars and I find the majority of new issues (read much of the Pepin stuff) to be too strong for my regular rotation. My tastebuds are just fine, thank you. But what fails to tip the scale for me with respect to these cigars is the weakness of flavor. I don't mind mild cigars, in fact, I love mild Habanos like Quai D'Orsay and ERdM and I find myself gravitating to the lighter end in general this past month. I certainly can focus on flavors but if I have to squint and really nose blow the hell out of a cigar to enjoy it, it's too dilute for me to bother with. And then there's the $$ factor.

But what really matters is that the folks who can afford it and enjoy it have the opportunity to do so.

Wilkey

OK, I was a little cranky yesterday, lol.

My point now that I am not suffering from PMS (second hand PMS you know) is that generalizing Davidoff products as mild or weak is like saying all Cubans are strong. That's just not true, there is an intentionally wide variation of flavors in the Davidoff lines. The "numbered" and "thousand" series' are very mild and i would agree they lack the "flavor for the dollar" quality that most would expect, although when the mood strikes I still smoke them and get great enjoyment from them. The Grand Cru, and special series (my favs) don't lack anything IMO, except punch, but they aren't rolled to provide punch so that's not a material weakness (to use a CPA term) in my view.

To say the milleniums lack flavor is something I don't understand. Folks may not like that blend but to say they lack flavor is IMO a strange statement. Maybe those who say that got a bad one or two.

The LE's vary from year to year so you really can't even lump them together for comparison.

This is really a "to each his own" question, and i wanted to offer a counter view to the view that I interpreted from some of the earlier posts. that is to say that mild = a lack of flavor. That IMO just isn't true.

Yes this smoker of strong, flavorful cigars has a special place for Davidoff's cigars.

They are bar none one of the finest rolled cigar out there. Their quality control is to be commended. The Diademas Finas is one fine cigar as well as the LE 07 Robusto. My favorite is the Millennium Blend and yes they are expensive but you are paying for a quality product. With this said I have never had a draw problem with any Davidoff I have smoked.

I love the Davidoffs, some more than others. The Millennium blend is one of my favorite and almost all the vitolas. Davidoff's newer limited release is fantastic, the Puro Robusto. A puro dominicana and a little pricey at that. Not as expensive as the double R, mind you, put IMHO worth every penny at 17-18 a stick. Also from what I've heard they are going to make this blend or a variation on this blend a part of his line. The flavors are much more "there" with thick smoke and a definite Davidoff profile is what I imagine to be the pinnacle of Davidoff's cigar lines. Definitely a top five all time cigar for me at this point in time. I should probably do a review speaking of which.

Sorry for the blatant plug, just really enjoyed the puro and hope to find it apart of their regular lines.

John

P.S. It's worth trying every cigar you can because you never know what you are going to enjoy, or what kind of memories will be made with the friends you smoke it with.

The Gran Cru No1 is always in the Humi. It is a classic mild cigar, really nice stick for those moments in life where a big, bold stick is not wanted.

My local B&M just offered a Davidoff Cigar U. class last night, which I attended. Basically, $10 let you smoke four cigars. The first three featured a specific type of leaf to exagerate specific flavor profiles, and the final cigar was the "complete cigar" which featured a blend from the three previous (this final cigar was the Gran Cru #3). It was an informative event, and well worth the $10. However, based on this limited experience, I can't say that it left me wanting to rush out and buy their cigars... The flavors weren't too mild for me, but they weren't quite what I like in a cigar (a little bitter, and some peppery flavors, at least to my palate).

Vega Fina :thumbs: Mild, Flavor, Construction. I like em a lot more than Davidoff. and they are far less expensive.

In my earlier post in this thread I probably used a poor choice of words because I too like mild cigars from time to time. The fact is Davidoff cigars just don't do it for me. Believe me I've given them many chances, but I just don't care for the flavor. For me, there are just too many other cigars, both mild, medium and strong, that I would rather smoke and are a lot less expensive. But that being said, taste is subjective and I know a few cigar smokers (whom I respect) who absolutely love them. We should all just smoke what we like, regardless of what other people think.

I've had the Millenium blend and have to agree with Wilkey on the strength/flavor.

Davidoffs are probably the most meticulously constructed cigar on the Market. Keep in mind not everyone wants to be hammered into submission by strong cigars, besides there's a time and place for everything. I'm not going to smoke a Don Pepin before breakfast, but I would enjoy a Davidoff Ct. shade wrapped cigar. That's plenty enough flavor and strength at O'Dark thirty in the AM. It's probably not the cigar for someone who smokes 3 cigars a week, but for the smoker who smokes multiple cigars a day, there's a place for it in his rotation.

Doc.
Yes this smoker of strong, flavorful cigars has a special place for Davidoff's cigars.

They are bar none one of the finest rolled cigar out there. Their quality control is to be commended. The Diademas Finas is one fine cigar as well as the LE 07 Robusto. My favorite is the Millennium Blend and yes they are expensive but you are paying for a quality product. With this said I have never had a draw problem with any Davidoff I have smoked.
I've come full circle, and have to agree with these two gentlemen. I've come to like the occasional Davidoff in the rotation with some of the "head banger" stout smokes I also enjoy. The little Millennium PC is a dandy for a quick, tasty smoke. Their "special" series short perfecto is a wonderful small smoke. The Millenium Lonsdale is another fantastically balanced, wonderful smoke. Anthony nailed it; these are among if not the best cigars there are, in terms of construction. You can be absolutely sure that your Davidoff is a quality smokes.

I ordered a few of each of these three today. Not for everyone, and not for everyday, but for a nice change of pace in the rotation....absolutely.

Regards - B.B.S.

I have never been a fan of Davidoff...except maybe in the morning with a cup of coffee.

But I recently had a guy in B&M say that "people that like Fuentes and Cubans don't care for Davidoff and vice versa."
I knew they were mild, but all of them?

A while back I went to a Davidoff Millennium Tasting and thought it was so-so at best, a lot of guys had burn problems that night, myself included...but that could have been the batch...but for my money I just wouldn't buy them and that was the consensus that night at the bar....the Davidoff Rep was a bit pissed! :laugh:

I have always been fond of the Grand Cru line. They may be a tad on the mild side, but have a wonderful and complex flavor. ...never had a bad one!

IMO of course

I agree completely.

In the era before "strong" cigars, I hear that there were cigars that had subtle, smooth flavor. Those cigars still exist today, but you won't hear much about them.

It's all Triple-Maduro this, Double-Ligero that. Don't get me wrong - I love the Triple Maduro, and the LFD DL Chisel Maduro is one of my favorite cigars, of which I have a number aging. I recommend them to people and make money off of them. They are good cigars made by excellent companies and blenders.

The problem is that in most circumstances, such a powerful smoke just doesn't "fit." It really takes a certain occasion to enjoy a strong cigar. I went through a period where I was smoking all of these strong cigars, and one day I suppose I just realized that I wasn't getting all the flavor that was bargained for - my palate was no longer as sensitive, my senses were dulled.

But for those of us who enjoy our cigars more than occasionally, and actually rather often, a cigar like any of Davidoff's lines is just perfect. My favorites include the 2000, 3000, Ambassadrice, Entreacto, and Millenium Blend (Lancero).

I keep all of these on hand at all times, in some capacity. The new Millenium Blend Lancero is a masterpiece.

Recently I smoked a few of Paul Garmirian's offerings, and these may be added to my list of "favorites," many of which are "milder." They had impeccable construction and excellent taste. We'll be bringing them in, for sure.

Just my thoughts, for what it's worth.

-Jess, will be smoking a 3000 Sunday morning with coffee.