• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Opus MSRP Question

It's very rare you will find MSRP on any cigar. Especially Opus.

Each state has different state and local tobacco taxes. Each store uses a different mark up method. Especially if they are in a mall or high rent district

You will only find a few states that don't have taxes on cigars. Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, and Florida

So purchasing at MSRP from your local B&M is not gonna happen.

just my .02cents!

$35 for A isn't bad compared to the $65 the B&M at my house wants. Which is the same price WITH taxes at Casa Fuente in Vegas.

Is your B&M an authorized Fuente merchant, or authorized Opus dealer? If so, I'm pretty shocked they are charging that price and getting away with it....even with the recent federal taxes and the high state taxes in some places, $65 for a stick that goes for $28.50 about an hour and a half away from me in Houston (after the tax implementation) is quite a bit over the top, to say the least. State taxes aren't an excuse for almost a $40 differential on a $28.50 cigar.

I find that most shops that charge that much (2 or more times the MSRP) are selling second market opus that the owners/ employees went and purchased from other Opus retailers and they consider it a "service" and convenience to their customers to make Opus's available, even though the retailer flipping the sticks is the only one that benefits. I've seen it time and time again, especially from newer B&M's trying to get their name out. I've even turned in a shop that had a Fuente account to Fuente for doing just that. I'm not entirely sure how it panned out as I never went back, but they certainly weren't elated to hear the news. I'll bet that shop has to acquire their 858's, Hemingways, Don Carlos's and Curly Heads through distributors like Phillips and King now though.

Typically I wouldn't assume that shops with Fuente Accounts would sell second market Opus's due to the risk involved with them as a wholesaler, but I've noticed it becoming more and more of a problem lately.

I've gotten completely lost in the traffic here. Shop's that carry Opus here in RI are charging pretty much MSRP +/- $1. I paid $10.20 for a Power Ranger yesterday. The tins that I've seen add less than $2 to the price of the 3 sticks. Am I fortunate enough to be living in some area of Opus nirvana here in RI?

I've gotten completely lost in the traffic here. Shop's that carry Opus here in RI are charging pretty much MSRP +/- $1. I paid $10.20 for a Power Ranger yesterday. The tins that I've seen add less than $2 to the price of the 3 sticks. Am I fortunate enough to be living in some area of Opus nirvana here in RI?

Reason...the tax on large cigars is 50 cents per.

Bigjake:
I'm not sure if they are or not, but they do have quite a selection of Opus and Anejeos on hand. I know they are not to new on the scene they have three shops here in Michigan. Of course they are the only place that I've seen in Michigan that has the Opus A I've been wanted to get for quite some time now, but there is NO WAY I'm paying him 65 dollars, especially when other retailers not in Michigan offer them for 40/45.

Bigjake:
I'm not sure if they are or not, but they do have quite a selection of Opus and Anejeos on hand. I know they are not to new on the scene they have three shops here in Michigan. Of course they are the only place that I've seen in Michigan that has the Opus A I've been wanted to get for quite some time now, but there is NO WAY I'm paying him 65 dollars, especially when other retailers not in Michigan offer them for 40/45.
If somebody knows where to pick up an Opus A for $40 - $45...I'd really like the opportunity to grab one. Seriously!

Thanks,
Walt

Reason...the tax on large cigars is 50 cents per.

AH Yes...I have heard much about the fight to cap the cigar tax cigar at 50 cents. This is the first I've seen how RI benefits from it. Thank You!

The stores in St. Louis that I go to usually have Opus at near msrp since Missouri is a low tax state. This month I bought a few Opus, iirc #5 were $9, #4 and xXx were about $10 plus sales tax. Opus robusto tins were about $45 which included tax. Got one "A" left from Christmas at $25 plus tax.

I wouldn't personally buy them at that price... Maybe one if I was craving some and my vino was dry, but not a bunch.