• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Opus X TAA 2006

wkoti

Flaky McFlakerton
Firstly I'd like to apologize for the lack of pictures, I smoked this yesterday at the Rocky Mountain Cigar Festival and had my hands full all day walking from booth to booth. Had a great time with the boys, smoked a Feral with JD and Rocky Patel, it was a great day of cigars and brotherhood. I smoked the sister of this cigar July 30th which means this Opus will be tasty if it's even half as good. (Snagged this picture from Moki's site to give a visual aid with my review.)

gallery_10_1_6881.jpg

We arrived at the fest just before 2 collecting our swag bags and receiving our wrist bands while I pulled this 6" x 48 ring gauge beauty from her yellowing cello and cedar wrap for inspection. Simply stunning, the construction of this cigar is without question one of the most perfectly constructed cigars I've ever smoked. The black band catches my attention, wondering if it has some sort of relation with the black Lost City bands I've seen.

A drizzle starts as we walk around the building to the outdoor event. Knowing it will be tough to get going while walking in the rain I wait to spark her up for 10 minutes until I'm under a canopy. The prelight has perfect airflow and a sweetness I normally don't find in an Opus. I fill the give away torch I just received in the swag bag with butane and start the toasting process. After a few puffs to get her going my first thoughts include how mellow and smooth this cigar is, but with richness and depth making it the perfect cigar to start the day off with. I immediately notice the creamy white ash as I inspect my lighting job. I don't normally see ash this light, this cigar is already vastly different from any normal Opus I've smoked before.

The first third of the cigar was very consistent, with subtle natural and earthy flavors such as coffee, leather and cocoa. The burn was very straight and even holding onto a tightly formed ash until a large rain drop hits the ash knocking it to the ground. In the cooling air the cigar smoke just lingered around as I weave my way through the crowd of people huddling under canopies. The rain was light so I walked from booth to booth puffing on my cigar intently.

Before I know it I'm more than a 3rd in, is the cigar smoking quickly or is time just moving quickly? I'll slow down and pay attention more attention to the cigar. Raisins/Craisins, a distinctive sweetness I've noticed in all Opus is the first flavor in each draw followed by rich flavors of coffee, earth and leather. The cigar is slightly spongy from the rain drops I couldn't shield the cigar from, but still burning evenly. I know occasionally I'd get wrapped up in conversation and forget to take a draw for several minutes, but every time I brought it up for a draw it was amazingly still lit.

In the last third the cigar begins to soften substantially as the rain clears up and the sun comes out the humidity immediately becomes noticeable. With 100% humidity the cigar burns slower and flavors become more powerful as remove the second CFCF band. It's not more than a few minutes later I have to remove the band sticking it in my pocket to use later. By the last inch the cigar was melting my fingers trying to hold onto the warm nub no firmer than playdough. This cigar is just too good to waste any of it. As the ash reaches the finger tips of my thumb and index finger it's time to lay her to rest in the ashtray wondering what I'll spark up next.

Another fantastic review CJ. I'm really glad that you enjoyed the stick, It was the least I could do for chauffeuring  me to DIA.

Nice review CJ.  Could almost taste it.  Not the soggy nub of wet tobacco you were sucking one, but an imaginary 2006 TAA OpusX.  

Great review CJ, thanks for sharing your experience!!

CJ, enjoyed your review! Makes me want to save mine from '12 & '13 for 6 or 7 more years.

Excellent review. No need to apologize for lack of pictures. A well written review is prefect!

Thanks for the review I don't.  I have continually tried different cigars over the years but for some reason never an Opus.  I am going to have to keep my eyes open for some now after your review.