• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

OpusX Cedar

Cira

Sorry if this is a noob question but I did a search and didn't see the answer.

Why do some OpusX have a cedar wrap and others don't? I bought some Reserva D' Chateau a while back and they didn't have a cedar wrap as expected. I was in my local shop today and there were some that were the exact same size but had a cedar wrap on them. Also, while I was there I saw a robusto size that had a cedar wrap and according to the OpusX reference, they shouldn't.

Do they change which are wrapped from year to year or something?

I know all of the cigars that were in this past years tins had ceder sleeves, but all were regular production sticks.

I'm guessing if they were loose, and had cedar on them, they're breaking up the tins for whatever reason.

Now that you mention it, the ones that fit in boxes didn't have cedar but the singles that were layed out on the inside tops of those boxes were all cedar wrapped. They must have broken up the tins.

Thanks for the replies.

Why do some OpusX have a cedar wrap and others don't? I bought some Reserva D' Chateau a while back and they didn't have a cedar wrap as expected. I was in my local shop today and there were some that were the exact same size but had a cedar wrap on them. Also, while I was there I saw a robusto size that had a cedar wrap and according to the OpusX reference, they shouldn't.

Opus X MSRP & Info

What you saw was not the same exact size, but rather the Perfecxion X vitola.

Opus X MSRP & Info

What you saw was not the same exact size, but rather the Perfecxion X vitola.

I don't think it is the Perfecxion X because I have one of those and a Reserva D Chateau and the new cedar wrapped one is the same size as the Reserva D' Chateau. See pic. Left to right: Reserva D' Chateau, Reserva D' Chateau Cedar, Perfecxion X.
DSC03036.jpg

Looks like a cedar wrapped RdC from the tins. Strange though...can't imagine why anyone would break the tin sets.

Looks like a cedar wrapped RdC from the tins. Strange though...can't imagine why anyone would break the tin sets.

Yep... but it appears that's what happened. :)

Cedar wrapped RdC from the Opus Tin set it is :)

Yep... but it appears that's what happened. :)

Cedar wrapped RdC from the Opus Tin set it is :)

See you learn something new everyday. I thought that the opus were like the anejo and depending on the year they may or may not be wrapped. Did the tins also have Robusto size or were they just reserva? Mason

See you learn something new everyday. I thought that the opus were like the anejo and depending on the year they may or may not be wrapped. Did the tins also have Robusto size or were they just reserva? Mason

The only Añejos that didn't have cedar were the original release Añejos (Shark excepted... cedar wouldn't fit on the square-pressed Shark vitola).

The gift tins come in these sizes.

I dunno, but i'm assuming the reasoning for breaking up tins is to post them on ebay... They were hitting upwards of 100 bones ea empty.

See what happens when you search on Ebay? You come up with dumb stuff like this:

Link

Talk about RARE! Offering an empty OPUS X "A" coffin box WITH an absolutely authentic pre-embargo Cuban Romeo y Julietta perfecto. Now this is not a normal perfecto, but an absolute monster. Most of the pre-embargo's one sees (if one sees any at all) are of the small 3.5 -4.5" perfectos or coronas that were so
popular in the 1930's to 1950's. Only the super-rich at the time had the money (and the time) to enjoy and affort large format and large ring-gauge cigars.

Blah blah blah... this that and the other... then...

Q: Is this cigar in a fresh condition?
A: Yes, it is properly humidified, but does have bugholes. If perfect, it would be a $300+ cigar! Verrrry Rare!

Sweet!

See what happens when you search on Ebay? You come up with dumb stuff like this:

Link

Talk about RARE! Offering an empty OPUS X "A" coffin box WITH an absolutely authentic pre-embargo Cuban Romeo y Julietta perfecto. Now this is not a normal perfecto, but an absolute monster. Most of the pre-embargo's one sees (if one sees any at all) are of the small 3.5 -4.5" perfectos or coronas that were so
popular in the 1930's to 1950's. Only the super-rich at the time had the money (and the time) to enjoy and affort large format and large ring-gauge cigars.

Blah blah blah... this that and the other... then...

Q: Is this cigar in a fresh condition?
A: Yes, it is properly humidified, but does have bugholes. If perfect, it would be a $300+ cigar! Verrrry Rare!

Sweet!

Some people

I believe I can help here, the wrapping is a type of cedar that Fuente and his son brought over from Cube to grow specifically for their cigars. As for the “Why” cedar wood has many different aromas (from green to amber (from the sap, and to a certain. sweetness) and qualities for insect control. When specific pines/cedars hit a certain age the sap/wood carries a repellent (I think it’s the qualities of the sap used to produce turpentine). Therefore it’s providing more than once use to the owner, smell, aromas, flavor, moisture, and a natural bug repellent. I’m enclosing a link to an interview I had found online.
Personally I had no interests in cigars until I found a limited edition of the Fuente Fuente Opus X special edition Passion package signed by senior and junior. The 2 cigars are enclosed in crystal tubes and sealed; they are from 2003 or 2004? Upon opening them with a professional the cigars are still smokable and smell like a fine heavy perfume of vanillas, bourbons, deep/sweet tobacco leaf smell, Carmel, and other aromas. Heavenly, fine purfum, and delicious smelling to the point I wanted to take a bite out of it. Hope this helps everyone! 😉
http://www.cigaraficionado.com/index.php/article/an-interview-with-carlos-fuente-jr-6190

Interesting thanks! I had been thinking about this read a lot lately and wondering what the answer was to that question.

I believe I can help here, the wrapping is a type of cedar that Fuente and his son brought over from Cube to grow specifically for their cigars. As for the “Why” cedar wood has many different aromas (from green to amber (from the sap, and to a certain. sweetness) and qualities for insect control. When specific pines/cedars hit a certain age the sap/wood carries a repellent (I think it’s the qualities of the sap used to produce turpentine). Therefore it’s providing more than once use to the owner, smell, aromas, flavor, moisture, and a natural bug repellent. I’m enclosing a link to an interview I had found online.
Personally I had no interests in cigars until I found a limited edition of the Fuente Fuente Opus X special edition Passion package signed by senior and junior. The 2 cigars are enclosed in crystal tubes and sealed; they are from 2003 or 2004? Upon opening them with a professional the cigars are still smokable and smell like a fine heavy perfume of vanillas, bourbons, deep/sweet tobacco leaf smell, Carmel, and other aromas. Heavenly, fine purfum, and delicious smelling to the point I wanted to take a bite out of it. Hope this helps everyone! 😉
http://www.cigaraficionado.com/index.php/article/an-interview-with-carlos-fuente-jr-6190

Thanks for that info! Head on over to the intro page and tell us a little bit about yourself.