• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Outlaw special release reviews (Updated 2/26/08)

These are great pictures and great reviews on the cigars. Thanks!! :thumbs:

Phil! You stole my lighter. :thumbs:

lol Tim sent it to me when my POS colibri kicked the bucket. It has worked great so far :thumbs:

Like I said in the Chat room.................nice reviews. :thumbs: Pm'd Smokyballs & Outlaw Cigar Co. No response, are they not ready yet?

Yeah theyre ready, call the store
816-505-2442

I will start a thread tonight in the retailers section.

Yippee!

I got mine ordered! I can't wait to get these babies!

Thanks to the Outlaw Team! :D

Review #5 Cusano DSG

I am setting this review up a little differently. The first thing is there was no camera, I have no idea where it is and I really wanted to smoke this cigar so thems the breaks. The second thing is I am going to take more of a 'macro' approach to this cigar as my notes by thirds don't really do it justice. I will still comment on the stages of the cigar but it is the cigar as a whole I found impressive.

The Review

The cigar smelled really great right out of the cello, very potent. The DSG doesn't come with a ring but it does have a little red ribbon, giving it a very elite look. It clipped clean and had an awesome pre-light draw, with a light, fruity taste to it. It lit like a charm and burned very even (throughout the whole cigar actually, required only one minor touch up.) There was a huge volume of peppery smoke right off the bat, it actually surprised me a bit because it diverged quite a bit from what I was expecting from the prelight draw. An inch in I noticed the flavor of corned beef and then I realized it was just because I burped :whistling:

From the beginning the cigar had some kick to it and the distinct spicyness of a sungrown wrapper. Yet it also had a sweet aftertaste that reminded me a bit of mole sauce with some hints of caramel. The taste remained pretty uniform for the first third and the most distinctive feature was the spicyness.

The progression of the cigar reminded me of an opus power ranger in some respects. Now hear me out, it didn't have the opus taste or anything, that isn't what I am getting at. For me personally I find the xXx is a fantastic cigar with a flavor I can't quite put my finger on. I don't find that it changes much throughout the smoke but I love what is there. That is the general response I had to this cigar. I was telling my friend I wasn't sure how to go about this review because I was having trouble picking out flavors. Well, I think I can summarize the general qualities of the cigar fairly effectively. Throughout the smoke there was a strong, spicy flavor that was very pleasant. There was a recurring slightly sweet aftertaste with hints of berry but really a unique flavor that I just don't know how to describe. The cigar finished with more of the same, but with some hints of leather and more pepper.

This cigar was different from the others I have reviewed so far in this thread in that I didn't find as many specific flavors and transitions. It was similar to most, however, in that it was entirely enjoyable from start to finish. I would definitely like to try another one of these when they come out and see if I can wrap my head around the flavor a bit more.

Final Review: LFD Outlaw

Oh man I have been waiting for this one. Every time I opened the desktop it would look at me, mocking me. There was never really any doubt in my mind I would love this cigar, having talked with Loren about it extensively and being a huge LFD fan. That is why I saved it for last! When I realized I was going to have enough time yesterday afternoon for a review I just had to jump on this one. So lets get on with it

The Beginning

The cigar itself is just beautiful. Fantastic construction... Dark and oily with a little pigtail, it was hard to bring myself to clip it but I did. The prelight draw was a little loose, which surprised me given the construction of the cigar. I could taste the spice from the ligero before I even lit the thing and I knew I was going to be in for a ride.

med_gallery_3595_168_491018.jpg

First Third

The cigar lit a bit unevenly but it fixed itself fairly quickly. The dominant taste early on was definitely the ligero, which I find to be VERY distinct. The first third was characterized by nutty flavors with sporadic hints of spicy cinnamon. The general profile was similar to the regular La Flor Dominica Ligero line but with some very interesting subtlties.

med_gallery_3595_168_523199.jpg

Second Third

Oh man, I taste.... raspberries! Loren was talking about raspberry flavors in Opus the other day and I just didn't get it. With this cigar, however, I finally understood what he meant. What a fantastic transition, something truly distinct from what I have experienced with LFD's in the past. At about the halfway point some coffee flavors come in which really serve to compliment the strength of the cigar. It was more like drinking a shot of excellent espresso than a regular coffee flavor, the kind of espresso that kicks you right on your ass.

med_gallery_3595_168_39720.jpg

The End

The final third of the cigar was dominated by a rich, deep coffee flavor and lots of strength. As I got down to the nub the wrapper fell apart (about an inch and a half left) and I had to put it down, but I was very sad to see it go. If you can't tell, I enjoyed this cigar a bit :rolleyes:

med_gallery_3595_168_552381.jpg

Conclusions

What a fantastic cigar! The LFD was just absolutely a pleasure to smoke from start to finish. It really hit the spot for me today after a nice meal. I would definitely smoke this cigar again, and fortunately I can because I have another one hoarded away! If you like LFD's and can get your hands on one, this is not a cigar to be missed.

It has been a great experience doing these reviews and forcing myself to give a little more thought to what I am smoking than I normally would. The guys at the outlaw have really outdone themselves with these releases. I want to thank Brad again for giving me the opportunity to try these fantastic cigars and the outlaw crew for releasing them :thumbs:

Very nice review Phil! :thumbs: ....but it reminds me my lasd LFD DL Especial with its terrible burn... ouh!

Oh the original LFD Outlaw is a wonderful smoke. Spicy, sweet, tart, and STRONG. Litto really put some time in to this one. Nice review. It really captures the experience :thumbs: .

Glad you enjoyed the LFD. It rocked OpusXKC's world last night. :laugh: It wasn't this strong 7 months ago but now, its like rolling down a hill picking up strength as it goes for some strange reason. But it is sure one tasty smoke. :thumbs:

While I thought these reviews were done apparantly I was wrong. Kendall, the owner of The Outlaw, sent me out one of the Bad to the Bone Tour boxes for another round of reviews! I just got the box in so I will update with more info and a gameplan on the reviews soon. Thanks Outlaw guys for your generosity AGAIN and the chance to review a whole new set of smokes!

While I thought these reviews were done apparantly I was wrong. Kendall, the owner of The Outlaw, sent me out one of the Bad to the Bone Tour boxes for another round of reviews! I just got the box in so I will update with more info and a gameplan on the reviews soon. Thanks Outlaw guys for your generosity AGAIN and the chance to review a whole new set of smokes!

Lucky monkey!

I love the reviews, keep em comin.

Ok I was really fired up to start these reviews today but my taste buds are totally thrashed for some reason so I am going to hold off till later this week. The lineup is pretty impressive:

med_gallery_3595_217_177310.jpg

From Left to Right:

LFD, Cusano DSG, Rocky Patel, Padilla Miami, Pepin JJ, CAO Millenium, Camacho, Henke Kilner, Matasa

According to Kendall the LFD is a different blend from the 2006 release, meaning the only one of these I have tried before is the Cusano DSG. I am really looking forward to getting started on these, thanks again Kendall for the chance to try them out. The first review should be coming within the next week, for additional info on the lineup you can check out this thread

Ok I was really fired up to start these reviews today but my taste buds are totally thrashed for some reason so I am going to hold off till later this week. The lineup is pretty impressive:

From Left to Right:

LFD, Cusano DSG, Rocky Patel, Padilla Miami, Pepin JJ, CAO Millenium, Camacho, Henke Kilner, Matasa

According to Kendall the LFD is a different blend from the 2006 release, meaning the only one of these I have tried before is the Cusano DSG. I am really looking forward to getting started on these, thanks again Kendall for the chance to try them out. The first review should be coming within the next week, for additional info on the lineup you can check out this thread
Excuses, Excuses! :whistling:

From Left to Right:

Yea, the pack has some interesting stuff in it. The craziest part of the whole deal is that somehow Kendal managed to get all of these guys to make ANOTHER special cigar just for this pack. So all of the smokes in that box are different than the in store event cigars. Talk about getting the hook up. Luck bastid :laugh: . I'm looking forward to this next round of reviews.

From Left to Right:

Smoke your own, beaach! Phil isn't the only one of you fockers that has this set!

have you tried the camacho tour cigar? when's that one getting reviewed? i just had one and it knocked my socks clean off.

I am really not sure when I will smoke which sticks, I kind of like to go with whatever looks best when I am ready to do the review. I am definitely leaning towards starting with the Don Pepin JJ though......

From Left to Right:

Smoke your own, beaach! Phil isn't the only one of you fockers that has this set!
Busted.......................... :laugh: