• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Outlaw special release reviews (Updated 2/26/08)

From Left to Right:

LFD, Cusano DSG, Rocky Patel, Padilla Miami, Pepin JJ, CAO Millenium, Camacho, Henke Kilner, Matasa

A little clarification, or "What we know so far"

LFD- Not positive of the blend but a full bodied bomb from Litto
DSG- Dominican Sun Grown to be released at RTDA
Rocky Patel- Not sure
Padilla 8&11- 8&11 Blend in a custom size
Pepin JJ- A kicked up version of the original JJ but not exactly the same blend as off the shelf
CAO- Not a Mellinium, thats just the band they used
Camacho- A blend that Camacho has had aging for a few years
Henke Kilner- Not sure on the blend, the milder of all the cigars in the pack
Matasa- Not sure of the exact blend, Manuel was kinda vague when talking about this cigar.

We will know more about some of these cigars once the makers have their event at The Outlaw.
You should have gotten the Camacho event cigar and another Fonseca Reserva as well.
Enjoy and keep those reviews coming!!!

I am really not sure when I will smoke which sticks, I kind of like to go with whatever looks best when I am ready to do the review. I am definitely leaning towards starting with the Don Pepin JJ though......

I just went back and re-read and realized that before i had missed your line-up. Do you mind if others post reviews for BTTB exclusive cigars you don't have in this thread? I'll start my own if you want to keep this to your personal reviews.

I did indeed have the JJ tonight, the review and a few pics will be coming once I get back home with my usb cable

2007 BTTB Review #1: Don Pepin Garcia Series JJ

I should really start off immediately with an important note. This cigar arrived with some light wrapper damage at the foot and near the cap, which in my experience is fairly common with the JJ line. That is part of why I decided to review it first, I figured I should at least minimize additional wrapper damage it might encounter rubbing against other cigars. That being said, the cigar itself was a very nice looking stick. Despite the frequent wrapper problems I have encountered, the JJ remains one of my favorite Pepin products.

med_gallery_3595_217_154440.jpg

The beginning and first third

I smoked this cigar while hanging out with a friend outside a starbucks in Mill Valley. I got it clipped and lit at just about 9 PM and despite the wrapper issues near the cap, it appeared to cut fairly clean. I took the Bad to the Bone ring off of the foot and tried a little prelight draw. The prelight draw was very loose and I noticed a bit of the wrapper at the head was already flaking off. I lit it up and the loose wrapper at the head immediately tore off, but when this happened the draw grew a bit firmer.
The first inch of the cigar was characterized by a strong tobacco flavor with a light caramel aftertaste. I was a little distracted because my friend John was verbally debating with himself whether he could smoke the casa fuente corona gorda our buddy left in his otterbox a month ago and has since ignored. My attention was brough quickly back to my own cigar, however, as the foot exploded! It was still smoking ok but was starting to look like a trainwreck. The flavor for the remainder of the first third was very grassy and not particularly characteristic of the JJ line in my experience. I lost the ash at just about a third into the cigar at 9:25.

med_gallery_3595_217_215372.jpg

The second third

Once the ash dropped off the grassy flavor quickly disappeared and was replaced by a light cocoa and coffee flavor. It was really fantastic and reminded me a little bit of the mid-point flavor transition in the Bad to the Bone salamone. The coffee flavor was persistant and only grew deeper and richer as the cigar progressed. At around 9:45 I reached the 2/3 point and they made us leave because they wanted their table back :angry:

med_gallery_3595_217_342381.jpg

Final third

We moved from our comfy table to my buddy's tailgate and continued onward with our cigars! The final third of this cigar was characterized by deep coffee flavors and a return of the light caramel aftertaste. The last stretch of this cigar really reminded me of the BTTP Salamone and also reminded me of why I enjoy Pepin cigars as much as I do. With a bit under 2 inches left, what I feared might happen came to pass and the wrapped committed sepuku, totally falling apart. I had been smoking it for about an hour at this point and it probably had another 10-20 minutes left if I nubbed it Mr Peat style.

med_gallery_3595_217_338916.jpg

(About an inch before the ritualistic suicide of the cigar)

Conclusions

This was a very pleasant cigar and was pretty much what I was expecting it to be. Also like I expected there were lots of wrapper problems as a result of the small tears. I would not let this deter anyone from trying the cigar. Despite the wrapper problems the cigar had a great flavor profile and was enjoyable from start to finish. I also have another one that was given to me recently by a member of this board that has none of the apparent wrapper issues this one had. I would absolutely smoke this cigar again and I will revisit this thread down the road when I have had the chance to try a second one.

Thanks Phil. Great review. :thumbs: I have a box of the Salomones resting in the humi now. Going to wait until they get some age on them before trying.
I also have one of these Outlaw box sets gifted to me from a generous Brotha here. :whistling:

Thanks Phil. Great review. :thumbs: I have a box of the Salomones resting in the humi now. Going to wait until they get some age on them before trying.
I also have one of these Outlaw box sets gifted to me from a generous Brotha here. :whistling:

John, from what I understand... don't compare the BTTB cigars to the regular line, because they are not, most / all are different blends made JUST for the Outlaw.

Yeah the BTTB are definitely a different animal although there are some similarities in the flavor profile.

John, from what I understand... don't compare the BTTB cigars to the regular line, because they are not, most / all are different blends made JUST for the Outlaw.
Thanks Tim. I knew they were made just for Outlaw but, had no idea that the blends were changed. I would be curious to smoke one after the other to see how big the difference is.

I'd say the JJ in the pack is blended to be stronger than the typical JJ, IMO.

I'd say the JJ in the pack is blended to be stronger than the typical JJ, IMO.

What he said :thumbs:
It is a different blend from the JJ, a little stronger.
Glad you enjoyed it despite the wrapper issues.

2007 BTTB Review #2: Rocky Patel

I asked Tim (Tkoepp) which cigar I should review tonight and this is the one he picked. I had no real expectations going into the cigar as there isn't much known yet about the blend. The construction was fantastic, something I have found to be a fairly common trait amongst the Rocky Patel cigars. The wrapper was oily and flawless, I almost didn't want to clip it. But I did...

med_gallery_3595_217_254726.jpg

First third

The prelight draw was very pleasant, with a spicy citrus flavor that I haven't found in too many cigars. Upon lighting the flavor shifted immediately to a spicy nutty flavor. The cigar was notably harsh and my first thought was it must be fairly young. The nutty flavor was persistant throughout the first third (and the whole cigar) but was really overwhelmed by a harsh bitterness.

med_gallery_3595_217_294856.jpg

The rest of the cigar

I decided to not divide the rest of the review as there really wasn't much change in the flavor profile. The nutty flavor was consistent but the initial harshness never mellowed. I did smoke it down to the nub but there really wasn't much else to say about it unfortunately.

med_gallery_3595_217_12939.jpg

Conclusions

I wanted to get into this cigar but I just couldn't. I really think the harshness is a factor of age in this case and not necessarily the blend. Nothing about the cigar reminded me of the other Rocky Patels I have had, the flavor profile (setting harshness aside) was very different. I do have another one of these and I will be revisiting it after it has had some significant downtime to see what changes.

Just to update this, I have definitely not abandoned my mission. After the last one I just decided to let the remaining sticks have a few more weeks of downtime before I resume my reviews to make sure they get a fair shot. The next review should be coming in about 2 weeks. Any vote for which one it should be?

2007 BTTB Review #3: Camacho

Ok so to begin with, in the past I have found the Camacho line to be easily summed up as one dimensional and relying on raw strength as a selling point. After the Rocky Patel I decided to wait a month before the next review to allow these sticks to rest a bit more. I decided it had been a while since I had given a Camacho a try and the other day was as good as any.

The cigar had a fairly light wrapper with a notable amount of tooth. It clipped a bit rough but no wrapper tears or anything and had a smooth non-distinct prelight draw.

med_gallery_3595_217_637345.jpg

The First Third

The beginning of the cigar was different from what I would have expected. There was a very pronounced leather flavor but not much of the spice and raw power I was expecting from a Camacho. The first third as a whole was characterized by leather flavors but with sporadic hints of light fruitiness. So far it was a very surprising smoke for me. After about an inch and a half a little hint of cocoa creeped in but before long ebbed away. Right before the second third the cigar became slightly bitter and harsh, but this flavor was soon replaced by a very light nuttiness.

med_gallery_3595_217_1444858.jpg

The Second Third

The leather profile continued on through the next third but with more frequent bursts of cocoa. The cigar had intermittent telling flavors of youth but not to an extent that they were a real detriment to the enjoyment of the cigar. The rest of the second third followed a similar pattern, very much in repetitive waves of leather, nuttiness, cocoa, bitterness, rinse, repeat. My general impression at this point in the cigar was it wasn't especially complex but the dimensions that were present were definitely enjoyable.

med_gallery_3595_217_1268763.jpg

Final Third

I finally started to notice a little of the strength towards the end of the cigar and it began to noticably heat up. The leather profile faded away and the nuttiness became dominant, albeit spicier. No new flavors really emerged in the last third and it was in that respect fairly unremarkable.

Conclusions

I can say this was easily the best Camacho I have ever had. I would place it in the midrange of the Outlaw sticks I have tried but only because it has to compete with Pepins and La Flors. It was an enjoyable cigar that definitely exceeded my expectations.

2007 BTTB Review #4: La Flor Dominica

Oh I have been looking forward to this one. I stole the wife's laptop and am gonna do this in real time (will update as I go so I don't lose my review again :rolleyes. Pics to come later.) My expectations are fairly high for this cigar and knowing the Outlaw LFDs in general I don't expect to be disappointed. BTW please note I confirmed with Kendall that this is NOT the same cigar being released at the upcoming LFD event.

The cigar has an oily veiny wrapper and the familiar La Flor pigtail (like the especiales). The cap comes off no problem and the prelight draw is all spice. I can taste pepper on my tongue already and I expect this will be a pretty flavorful smoke.

med_gallery_3595_217_144632.jpg

The First Third

Well of course my lighter kicks out before I can even get the damn thing going. Now it is lit and I am on my way, after a little trial and error with the fuel gauge. The flavor is fairly raw and spicy for the first inch or so, there aren't any particularly notable flavors. At about an inch a deep coffee flavor comes through to accompany the spice. No raspberries yet but the night is still young! The coffee flavor persists through the first third with an intermittent nuttiness as well.

The Second Third

[moki] 11:07 pm: My web site invented the term sphincter bowling
I mean... as I sit in the chatroom the cigar enters the second third! The spice still hasn't faded but there is a feint fruity flavor now, not as distinct as those I detected in the 2006 LFD but still very pleasant. It is more of a plum flavor than raspberry and very subtle. The coffee flavor is still the dominant trait of this cigar as I move towards the home stretch. The end of this third introduces a bitter cocoa flavor (bitter like dark chocolate) and the spice mellows just a tad.

The Final Third!

The cocoa and coffee flavors persist into the grand finale of this cigar, deepening as I get closer to the nub. At this point I am not expecting too much change but I am really enjoying what the LFD has to offer. It isn't quite as much of an asskicker as the 2006 and has a little less complexity but I believe that to be at least partly a factor of age. The flavor remains the same right down to the end at this point.

Conclusions

Out of the BTTB Tour pack this cigar and the JJ are by far the best (so far). This cigar is already fantastic with a pleasant combination of spice, strength, and what I think of as deep dark flavors. It isn't quite where the 2006 was but I am not sure how much that will change over time, as I believe the 2006 run only grew better with age. This is another one I would not hesitate to smoke again and I am VERY excited about the LFD event cigars coming soon.

2007 BTTB Review #5: Henke Kilner

Sorry for the delay guys, I have been working 11 and 12 hour days the last couple of months and frankly have just wanted to enjoy my smoking time rather than focusing on a review recently. But it is time! Brad's post about the 2008 calendars reminded me I still have a few reviews left to do. Although I still don't expect them to get done in a rush, they are back in the forefront.

I have never smoked a Henke Kilner of any type before so I really have no expectations. This belicoso came without a standard band, only having a BTTB foot band. The prelight draw is very woody and light.

Thoughts on this cigar

The initial puffs on this stick are very loose and it has a somewhat bitter aftertaste to it. The flavor of the smoke is not remarkable at this point in terms of flavor, it is simply very light and slightly woody. As the cigar progresses, about 2 inches in, the bitter aftertaste grows. The cigar has been kept at 65/65 since I received it or I would blame humidity. By the halfway point the bitterness is all I can really note about the smoke, it is making my stomach a little irritated so I just decide to cut and run. Usually I would stick it out to the end but this stick just isn't gonna work for me. This is certainly the exception to the normal excellence of the BTTB sticks, as I have largely been very impressed with them. I am not ready to stop for the night though so I am going to go back to the humi and get to work on the CAO for review #6!

edit: Just as a quick note: I WILL be revisiting this cigar, as I have another in hibernation. If it turns out I just had a dud I will certainly update this.

2007 BTTB Review #7: CAO Millennium

Ok, lets try this again! The CAO is a line I have been totally hit or miss with. I like the Sopranos quite a bit but I find the Italia line to be one of the most attrocious and vile smoking experiences out there. Sooooooooooooo this should be interesting!

The first thing I noticed about this cigar is the box press, which is a step away from the norm in the BTTB sticks. The wrapper is very oily and ruddy, it ALMOST reminds me of a PAM because of its box press and wrapper color. The prelight draw is firm but not tight.

The Beginning

The initial puffs are very interesting. It starts off with a deep smokey flavor, like hickory in a smoker kind of smokey. It is actually very nice and not a flavor I have noticed before in a cigar. The smokey flavor fades a bit after the first inch and hints of cedar creep in. Nosing is very smooth and light, I notice some leather mixed in with cedar on the exhale.

The Second Third

The flavor has remained generally unchanged up until this point. The profile is characterized by nuttiness and cedar, but without much variation within the spectrum. At about the halfway point the leather becomes more noticable without nosing, although still taking a backseat to the woody flavor. As the cigar moves into the final third the leather becomes the dominant flavor, although it is still overall a subtle smoke. What I mean by that is the flavor as a whole is very subtle, each draw is similar to the last and without 'bursts' of flavor.

The Final Stretch

The leather flavor is definitely in control going into the last third. The woody flavor is pretty much gone at this point and the smoke remains light. Usually I would expect the flavor to grow much deeper in the last couple of inches but in this case it is fairly uniform with the the rest of the experience. I let it get down to the last inch and then I let it die.

Conclusions

This cigar was certainly much more enjoyable for me than the previous one. It was a nice change of pace for the night to have something a bit more mellow than what I usually smoke but still with some flavor to it. This is also definitely a totally different animal than the Italia (i.e., it didn't suck). I found the flavors to be somewhat muted but not to the point of being boring or frustrating. I would smoke this stick again and I would put it somewhere in the middle range in terms of the awesomeness meter of the BTTB lineup. Hopefully I will get the last couple of reviews up before 2008 lol!

Edit: Experiencing lots of technical difficulties with my albums in the gallery and my other image host, pics will come later.

2007 BTTB Review #7: CAO Millennium

Great review. I understand it's not the exact same blend as the Original CAO Millennium Release, but if it's close, it's got to be a good cigar. I had a CAO Millennium I believe a year ago, and it was one of the best cigars I've ever had. Top ten at least.

Great reviews, the Henke is a milder smoke than the rest of the pack.

And from what we have been told the only thing the pack CAO and the actual Mellinnium have in common are the bands.

We still have these packs available at the store if anyone is interested :thumbs:

2007 BTTB Review #8: Padilla Miami

Ok so it isn't even 2007 anymore... are you judging me? Don't judge me! Seriously I have to apologize for lagging on the home stretch of these reviews, but we are almost done! I fully expect to have this and the last cigar reviewed before 2010! Ok on to the cigar:

The Beginning

The BTTB Padilla Miami is a beautiful looking stick, with a clean looking caramel colored wrapper. The prelight draw was a little looser than I was expecting but filled with a zesty cedar flavor. I haven't had a Miami in about a year so I don't have too many preconceptions going in, other than I think I will enjoy the cigar.

The first inch of the cigar is very light, characterized by the light cedar flavor from the prelight draw coupled with a subtle coffee flavor. One thing I noticed right away is the cigar was burning fairly quickly. The filler bunching is supple without being loose and the draw is perfect. Moving along the cedar flavor gives way to what a would almost describe as a feint butterscotch taste. Not sappy sweet but that caramel like flavor with a hint of tanginess. The tanginess becomes muted as the cigar moves into the second third.

The Second Third

The second third starts off with the coffee flavor becoming more dominant as the initial cedar flavor subsides. The body of the cigar picks up a bit and the smoke gets slightly heavier. I would compare it to the difference between having an Americano and an espresso. Speaking of which... the coffee flavor has really deepened at this point, much more so than I would have initially expected. Moving into the final third a bit of spice comes into play.

The Final Third

The final third of the cigar brings a bit more strength than before but nothing overpowering at all. The flavors don't change all that much but that doesn't take away from the experience. I took this cigar right down to the nub.

Conclusions

I have a handful of various 8/11s sitting around from trades, bombs etc. that for some reason haven't ever really caught my attention. After this smoke I am sure I will be grabbing another soon. This was really a top notch smoke, not mind blowing but pleasant throughout and consistent to the last puff. I didn't have to touch it up once and there wasn't an acrid taste once. Definitely one of the top smokes for the tour pack.

2007 BTTB Review #9 (Already smoked the Cusano in the last round): Matasa

After getting through Moki's round of blind reviews I figured I should wrap this up before I head to KC this Friday...

I saved the Matasa for last as matter of chance, it just sort of ended up that way. I have only smoked one or two Matasas in the past and it was quite a while ago so I didn't go in with many expectations.

The Beginning

The cigar clipped clean and had a light fruity prelight draw. The draw was definitely a bit loose but it was a bigger RG so not unexpected. The first third of the cigar was really characterized by that same fruity flavor from the prelight draw, combined with a bit of raw tobacco taste. It did require a bit of touching up but nothing extreme.

The Second Third

The second third of this cigar was along the same profile as the first third, but with a fair amount of added spice. I would describe it as zesty rather than peppery. The fruity flavor was certainly still present, although at about the halfway mark a bit of amonia crept in. Fortunately it went away before the final third and the flavor picked back up.

The Final Third

The spice faded a bit towards the end of the smoke and hints of caramel crept in. The light sweetness went well with the fruity flavor and was never unpleasant. I smoked this at the local B&M so this is about where my notes stop.

Conclusions

I enjoyed this cigar well enough although I don't think it would end up in my regular rotation. I would place it somewhere in the middle of the pack with respect to the other BTTB sticks. I would smoke it again but not before some of the others in the lineup. This has been a really enjoyable set of reviews to conduct, albeit taking way too damn long to finish on my end. I definitely look forward to grabbing the next BTTB Tour Pack, hopefully there will be one for 2008.